Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2005 2500HD 6.0L is about to turn 100k mi. When new she had a Flowmaster muffler installed (I hate the drone, but she likes it). Now it's shot and needs to be replaced (throwing codes with hole in muffler).
The FM muffler is dual in/dual out to single exhaust pipe out the factory location. Would like to find a same size and identical in/out so I don't have to sway tail pipes, etc. Probably not going to happen.
Have looked at Walker and find nothing in that config and same at Flowmaster.
Suggestions? Been down this road?

Guess a dual in and single out with new tailpipe might be the answer. Hopefully Summit will have that.
If you have other good sources please post.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Sorry, there is no way for the truck to know the muffler is shot. There is no code for it.

Reactions: alpacalips

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, there is no way for the truck to know the muffler is shot. There is no code for it.
With a known hole in the muffler and emissions and lean cylinder codes I'd say they're likely related.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
With a known hole in the muffler and emissions and lean cylinder codes I'd say they're likely related.

Well, no. That is merely a coincidence.

You can cut the exhaust off just past the downstream O2 sensors (the ones after the catalytic converters), and the engine will run fine and throw no codes. There are plenty of guys running straight pipes after the cat's.

Now, it's a problem if you have exhaust leaks upstream of the cat's, which isn't unusual for the 6.0's. Check your exhaust manifolds for broken off bolts, and be sure to use a new crush gasket for the manifold to pipe joint so it seals properly if they are disconnected.

Reactions: Dooner and kjc

·
Registered
155 Posts
Correlation does not equal causation. Davester is correct about the muffler. My 8.1L has the downstream 02's tuned out and long tubes on it with straight pipes back to a gibson dual 3" in 3" out muffler.
Also need to check the manifold's as they are known to crack around the last cylinder on both sides. #7 and #8

1 - 6 of 6 Posts