Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at picking up a 2005/2006 3500 (LBZ) drw long bed. all of the trucks listed in our area have between 190,000 - 90,miles on them. should i be concerned about buying a truck with higher mileage? is there anything that i should look for?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im looking at picking up a 2005/2006 3500 (LBZ) drw long bed. all of the trucks listed in our area have between 190,000 - 90,miles on them. should i be concerned about buying a truck with higher mileage? is there anything that i should look for?

Thanks,

Adam
The LBZ is only 2006.5/2007.5. The 8th digit of the VIN will be a D. I don't know what DRW stands for. Personally I would try to find a vehicle under 100,000 miles but that's my personal opinion. The last two duramaxes I purchased had 53K (LB7) and 82k (LBZ) and they were in damn fine condition and I still have both. I am at about 140 k and a 105k respectively. You just going to have to take a close look at any vehicle that has high mileage on it and see how well it was maintained. If the truck hasn't already had the pump rub fixed done to the transfer case you will need to do that. It is a super easy task to remove your drive lines and drop the transfer case And pull the case apart and install the pump rub fixed and while you have the transfer case out you might as well replace all the input and output gaskets/seals And that's also a good time to do your U-joints. I believe on this thread there is some frequently asked questions (FAQ) section that talks about all the things that you need to do to your truck to get it up to par. It's a good read for somebody who doesn't know all of this stuff. And I will forewarn you that you will be going through hubs like a son of a b****on any Duramax that is independent front suspension if it's lifted with 35x12.5s. I hope this was helpful.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
DRW is generally (in this context) dual rear wheel. For people who like big hips...

depending on where the truck has lived, brake and fuel lines have a tendency to rust. Easy to see, the 4 brake lines as they run along the frame rail from the left front wheel to the abs unit under the cab (inside the frame rail) near the driver's door. You can see the fuel lines there as well. The brake/fuel lines also rust over the fuel tank, but it's hard to see there.

From what I've read on forums (as I don't have the diesel version), the transmission is pretty solid and reliable, the engines seem have a variety of common problems (for a given type of Duramx), but I couldn't describe what they are for each version.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I moved your thread over to the "Buying or Selling a Truck Questions" section.

:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is sort of my standard reply
A little info for you LBZ is the best, they fixed all the bad stuff and that goes even for the air intake, they did big improvements, and you now own a Silverado Classic keep that in mind when ordering headlights and other parts, one and a half years of special model parts. Get a tuner/monitor with a egt sensor and monitor all the data points they will tell you a lot about how your engine is doing, use it to check you fuel injectors. use an oil analysis service on your engine and trans
high miles could mean freeway miles low mile could mean the same or all off road , a lot of guessing going on but keep in mind these are great trucks and 2006 to first half of 2007 are much better than earlier models and they were good, get the one with the most option , creature comforts are great, there are guys out there that know what the problems with their vehicle but will lie to you about it and things will pop up that they had no clue about, I only have 200,000 on mine and going strong and no 2 Duramax sound the same, they make little noises, because the engines are quiet you can hear the little noises

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was in your same spot about 7-8 years ago and trying to decide between a 2005/2006 diesel truck. From my experience since I bought my 2005 (I bought it with 100K miles and just reached 200K miles a couple weeks ago) it has been a great truck. I do the regular maintenance including oil samples and like said in a previous post just had to replace all the brake lines due to rusting. Also I had to replace the fuel lines about a week ago that turned into fuel lines, fuel cooler and fuel pump due to everything being rusted together. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a 2006 or checked to make sure the head gaskets were changed before purchasing the 2005 (I had the head gaskets done around 150K and this problem was fixed on the 2006's from what I have read). If you know any diesel mechanics have them take a look at it and give their opinion before buying and wishing you the best on a truck that will last if maintained. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts