Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the Trailer brake controller and harness from my 2003 2500HD and plan to install it in my 2004 2500HD. I was concerned because the wire colors on the harness that came with the 2004 are smaller and a different color than my aftermarket unit from the 2003? Did they make any changes in 2004 like they did with the one wire in the 2003 harness? Have any of you installed a trailer brake controller on a 2004 2500HD and tested yet? Thanks for your time...

Justin

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
03 and 04 are the same, I was looking at my 02 that was in 2 03 trucks and it worked ok w/ the different wiring (Kelsey controller).

Since the 04 came w/ new harness I switched the 2 wires to make it match the 04 harness.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My '04 came with a new tbc harness. I was under the impression that they all did if you had the optional hitch(towing package).

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 2003 did not come with a harness. And the harness for the 2003 was different than the 1999-2002 harness. You either had to buy a new harness for the 2003 or take the 1999-2002 harness apart and move one wire in it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
CAN YOU GIVE ME QUICK RUN DOWN ON THIS INSTALL? NEW 2004 COMING AND I NEED CONTROLLER INSTALLED. SOME OF THESE CAMPER PLACES WANT 50 BUCKS. I THOUGHT WIRE HARNESS FROM GM MADE THIS KIND OF LIKE A PLUG IN. THANKS FOR ANY ONFO.

·
Registered
747 Posts
LARSONEM said:
The 2003 did not come with a harness. And the harness for the 2003 was different than the 1999-2002 harness. You either had to buy a new harness for the 2003 or take the 1999-2002 harness apart and move one wire in it.

IIRC, I read somewhere that enough people complained about not receiving the tbc harness with their 2003's, that GM decided to include it w/the 2004's.

·
Registered
157 Posts
BRUCE said:
CAN YOU GIVE ME QUICK RUN DOWN ON THIS INSTALL? NEW 2004 COMING AND I NEED CONTROLLER INSTALLED. SOME OF THESE CAMPER PLACES WANT 50 BUCKS. I THOUGHT WIRE HARNESS FROM GM MADE THIS KIND OF LIKE A PLUG IN. THANKS FOR ANY ONFO.
I bought the Tekonsha Prodigy and the wiring harness for it from Camping World. Had them Pricematch rjays.com:

http://www.rjays.com/Tekonsha/prodigy-01.htm

The GM wiring harness did come with the truck, but I thought 9 bucks was worth it for a plug and play install. No splicing, no ugly butt connectors, adn I was in a hurry. INstall was exactly that - plug and play. Took maybe 15 minutes, not a hiccup since.

If anyone wants my stock wiring harness, let me know and it's yours (if aI can find it).

Marc

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dang, I paid $20 for my Prodigy-to-04' Chevy harness

BTW, Justin, You plug into the second plug from the left on the top row at the panel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed my controller today with the aftermarket (Draw Tie) plug-in out of my 2003. All the connections are the same. The 2004 factory supplied harness is confusing as far as wire colors plus the wires are small. I used a Draw Tie II digital trailer brake controller/harness, works great. The instructions with the 2004 harness said to install a 40 amp fuse into a trailer port in the underhood fuse box that did not exsist and was not needed. My opinion is to throw the 2004 factory harness and fuse in the bottom of your tool box and buy and aftermarket one with 12 and 14 gauge wires and switch the two pins needed for the 2003/2004 model years. Thanks for your insight guys...

Justin

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
IIRC, I read somewhere that enough people complained about not receiving the tbc harness with their 2003's, that GM decided to include it w/the 2004's.

And raised the price of the tow package too.

Nothing is FREE.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have an '03 with an '02 harness. Which two wires need to be swapped? I searched, (that's how I found this topic), but I can't seem to find the thread. I know I read about it here...

·
Registered
149 Posts
basically just swapping the blue and brown wires is all that needs to be done.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i plug my 5ver in the back reciever it works good just misses the tailgate with a prod controller wich was a little confusing the fuse in the box was covered up with a stip of tape so didnt know where to put the extra fuse for awhile all is working good know

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bruce & 6600LB7 I just finished installing the prodigy into my 04 d/a followed the prodigy directions for the GMC/CHEVY & the directions on the GM harness which was in the console when I recieved my truck. The harness plugs in under the dash upper left hand side (it will only plug in one way) the other end of the harness gets connected to the brake controller (plug comes with the controller but other end of controller harness needs to be connected to end of GM harness) you just need to connect the GM harness end to the brake controller end either by butt connectors or soldering, the wires are color coded so you can't make a mistake. Fuse (which comes with the GM supplied harness) needs to be added to under hood fuse panel, if not you will not get 12 volts back to the trailer plug. just pop off the black plastic cover under the hood and remove the red plastic dummy fuse in the panel I believe it's listed as #1 (see owners manual). Mounted controller to r/h side of under dash tucked wires under the carpet. All the searches I did on brake controllers the Prodigy seems to be what everyone was raving about it's true top of the line. Clean install & Technolgy all in one controller.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts