Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 4x4 v6 5 speed , in the morning when I leave there will be a gear oil smell in the cab when first started could there be fumes coming up through the floor shifter seal or is it the A/C smell . If I remember right the trans and transfer take ATF fluid .

·
Registered
663 Posts
It could be coming up through the shifter. Is there any oil on the underside of the truck or on the ground? I have 134k miles on my truck and have never experienced this condition. The NV 3500 transmission uses Synchromesh gear oil, not ATF. ATF will destroy it pretty quickly. :badidea:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I,ll have to reread my owners manual I could sware it takes Dexron 3 transmission fluid . At least I hope I,m right because thats what I put in there , YIKES now I,m worried.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I screwed up in my other post what I meant was when I changed the trans oil last time I put whatever the owners manual said to put in there I just cant remember what the owners manual said, the only reason I changed it was because I went to Royal purple.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I smelled Gear Lube in the cab when my Pinon Seal went on my rear. It was splattered all over the driveshaft and exhaust, the smell was the only reason I noticed it when I did.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I,ll have to reread my owners manual I could sware it takes Dexron 3 transmission fluid . At least I hope I,m right because thats what I put in there , YIKES now I,m worried.
It's possible that they've changed it in the last couple of years from gear oil to ATF. I know the Dodges now use ATF, at least in the G56. But, I know they specifically called for Synchromesh in mine. You may be okay since you're using a synthetic also. Just shoots the theory on where the gear oil aroma is coming from. Keep us posted on what you find. Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at my owners manual and it says syncromesh fluid . I was thinking the transfercase it takes dexron 3 .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts