Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,getting ready to sign the contract on a new 4x4 tomorrow,am trading in my Yukon.I tow a bassboat thats about 2500lbs total.Don't plan on towing more than that.I would like to hear any pros and cons you may have on the 2004 model Duramax.Thanx,I enjoy reading all yer posts.Mike

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
It depends on which engine you get in the 2004. If it's an early model, you'll get the LB7. (Check the eighth digit in vin 1=LB7, 2=LLY) I think you'll be very pleased with either truck, but the LLY's turbo sounds great when spooled up. It's almost too quiet. when idling. Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well you will not know the boat is behind the truck. I have owned my 04 for a few weeks now and I have no complaints, it is a awesome truck. I got rid of the factory tires and wheels and added a billet grille overlay and the truck recieves alot of attention. I am not used to the attention, it has been awhile since I drove a vehicle that stoodout. Enjoy the new truck I know I am.

Corsair

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome 203DC250XB,

Go for it, I went from a 88 Toyota pickup to my 2500HD 4x4 cc. I love it. I can not seem to drive it enough
. You may even forget your pulling your boat.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Your boat will probably feel lighter on your new truck than my 800 lb. drift boat feels behind my chevy s-10.

I also just ordered a 04 Sierra 2500HD with D/A (LLY). However, I just received a 5 ton Komfort travel trailer waiting on the pad for it's towing buddy to arrive. If I'm not drifting Oregons coastal and cascade mountain rivers (for steelhead and salmon) I'll be pulling the trailer for the rest and relaxation of mountain camping (to promote the peaceful dreams of hooking that 18 lb. steelhead or 45 lb. chinook).

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a 1 month old Duramax where i tow a 3000lb bass boat. Been a great engine so far and mileage just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Doug I am in Corvallis! I am also ready to order a '04 GMC D/A. Where did you purchase yours? I am working with several dealers in the area and am waiting for one more quote before deciding.

I also have a drift boat and travel trailer, so I am really looking forward to getting the truck. We will have to get together sometime for a fishing trip, I am a rookie on the oars. I have a buddy that just ordered a 25' boat, so I will be towing that to the ocean this summer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
JD HANKINS, I live in monmouth and work in corvallis. I first went to Randy Jones Chevrolet, but felt like they wouldn't budge a bit on the 04 2500 HD 4x4 Silverado D/A. I felt they wanted full sticker price($44,000). So I went over to GMC and got them down to $38,000. I offered $36,000 and Bob said couldn't do it. I then wrote my phone number on a paper and told him to call if they change their mind(s). Two days later he called me at work and said $36,400 and I accepted. This is for a factory ordered Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 shortbed with D/A. Additional options that were a must: power-heated extension mirrors, G80 locking differential, push button 4x4, trailering package, and polished forged alum. wheels for the $36,400 (remember though that is with the 2500 factory cash back). I am hoping that when March 30th gets here the GM Cash back will go up to $3500 and that would put my cost at $35,400 ( probably in my dreams).

Then,out of the blues the chevrolet dealer calls me at work and says he can get me the exact same silverado for $35,300 with all the factory offers available. He thought I should give GMC a call and try to get out of the deal. To me, I have already committed with GMC (plus I don't like the new front end look of the Silverado versus the traditional looking Sierra). I think chevy targets the younger more agressive buyer and gmc sticks to the traditional old farts ( ya I guess I now fit in with the older crowd, something I thought would never happen). So if I had it to do over again I would try to get that truck for 35,000 or less!

One thing you might consider is putting an additional fuel filtration system on your truck. As soon as mine comes in I am installing a Racor 660 Fuel Filter Kit from [email protected]

I also plan to add the appropriate amount of Stanadyne performance formula fuel additive with every tank of diesel.

If you plan on pulling a trailer (mine is a new Komfort that weights 5 tons fully loaded), be ready for a special connection to tap into the factory trailer brake harness. Also will need a special fuse to replace the dummy fuse in the fuse box (this is required to let your trailer brake box work). If you have any questions that I can help with feel free to email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
"If you plan on pulling a trailer (mine is a new Komfort that weights 5 tons fully loaded), be ready for a special connection to tap into the factory trailer brake harness. Also will need a special fuse to replace the dummy fuse in the fuse box (this is required to let your trailer brake box work)."

The harness comes w/ the truck and the fuse u are talking about is only for the 12v hot wire to supply the trailer.

I'm glad someone else views the ugly Chevies like I do.

I got to go and order me a GMC this week.

BTW on buypower a 3500SRW is $200 cheaper than a 2500HD.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a gorgeous Black 04 crew cab with LLY engine. I traded in 02 w/Duramax. I am experiencing clattering noises in engine that remind me of spark knock or worse rod clatter. The engine itself is quiter than 02 but clatter drives me nuts. I find it usually when putting load on it at lower speeds. Dealer finds no codes, but says its second or 3rd LLY with power hesitation problem and have ordered new turbo sensing unit per GM request. Bad news is not available until at least May 1. Please advise either way if anyone having these problems or not. GM says it's normal TROMPLAW

·
Registered
42 Posts
"If you plan on pulling a trailer (mine is a new Komfort that weights 5 tons fully loaded), be ready for a special connection to tap into the factory trailer brake harness."

Not sure which brake controller you are going to use, but I selected the Prodigy. You can purchase a wiring harness made specifically for the truck's model year. It's "plug and play" and easy to install.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I traded a 2002 GMC D/A with 36,000 miles on it for a 2004 D/A. I love these trucks. It now has 800 miles on it . Getting about 18.5 if I keep it at 65 or less. After that the milage goes down the faster you drive.

The first thing you need are 4 new shocks. The ones from the factory are the worst thing on the truck. I got the adjustable Rancho 9000. They have a sale now, buy 3 get the forth one free. Total for 4 about $250. This is especially importent if you tow. Your truck will bounce up and down like a Pogo stick with a trailer on it using the stock shocks.

When I took the stock ones off they would pull in and out so easy that a 10 yr. old could do it.

Also you will need to break it in for 500 miles ,without towing, and then change the rear end oil . Replace with 4 Qts. of a good synthedic. The Dealer will charge about $27. per qt. if they do it. You should be able to buy it for about $12. per qt. Elsewhere.

You will Love it. Have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
tromplaw said:
Dealer finds no codes, but says its second or 3rd LLY with power hesitation problem and have ordered new turbo sensing unit per GM request. Bad news is not available until at least May 1. Please advise either way if anyone having these problems or not. GM says it's normal TROMPLAW

What do you mean by a "power hesitation problem"?

·
Registered
570 Posts
tromplaw,

First welcome to the site. Mine does sound like it has a clattering noise like what you have mentioned only under heavy loads. I had read someplace here that another member was asking the same question I looked for the post but couldn't seem to find it
. If I happend to find it I post the link. The end result was most people had the same clattering noises I think.

Edit: I found the link http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5797&KW=voodoo+

Edited by: Voodoo

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Duramax has Piolit Ignition that makes it a lot quiter than other diesels however when the RPMs get around 2500 or so, it is turning over so fast that there is not enough time for the Piolit Ignition to work ,sooooo the engine gets loud all of a sudden, which is how it would sound all the time if it did not have that feature. Also when you are pulling hard the engine will get very loud when the fan clutch kicks in, but that will be a roaring fan sound. The combination of these two things happening at the same time makes for a very loud ride compared to the normal sound of the engine when not pulling hard.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I too have the clatter, but its only above 2500 RPM. I've got just under 4000 miles on my truck now.

I had the turbo solenoid and sensor go out at about 500 miles on my new truck (LLY). Took them 3 days to get a new one and fix it. I posted my problem over on TDP and a assembly line worker or manager chimed in saying they were initally installing the sensors wrong. So who knows how many trucks made it out of the plant messed up. But mine got fixed and its been problem free since.

I went on an empty long haul this past weekend 500 plus miles and had my truck running 85mph on cruise and got 13.7mpg. I am very happy with that since I only use to get around 8mpg running my 454 at those same speeds.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
203DC250XB,

If you have never had one of these beasts...get readdy. Believe me, You can forget that you are pulling a light trailer! It does sound crazy...it can happen. Heck, with the boat on the trailer you could take the wheels off and still not know it was there....provided you couldn't see it.

Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the Place.

Burner------------------------>

·
Registered
570 Posts
338_,

What was your TPW? I was just wonder if mine was built before or after your.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine is an 04 LLY built in 1/04.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts