Diesel Place banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD (LB7)
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So I just got a call back. He hasn't gotten down to test compression but initial suspicion is the crank pin isn't turning the cam. He'll pull a glow this afternoon and hopefully have an answer by the evening. Damned.

I'm into territory I don't know much about, outside of fundamental operation. Going to have to trust his judgment at this point. I am guessing I'm getting into three or four grand worth of work here. Not super happy about that.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Let’s hope it’s the cam pin and not the crank key way.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Let’s hope it’s the cam pin and not the crank key way.
I am going to assume the pin is made to sheer off before the keyway breaks? I'm going to also assume there is a major difference in cost?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A few years ago, my truck would act like it was running out of fuel when going around a curve, but run fine for a while on the straight. Then it quit all together and wouldn't start
IMG_0084.JPG
. The picture shows the cause. The cam shaft tone wheel is held by three cap screws and two were in the bottom of the oil pan and the third was only holding by about 2 threads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
A few years ago, my truck would act like it was running out of fuel when going around a curve, but run fine for a while on the straight. Then it quit all together and wouldn't start View attachment 634955 . The picture shows the cause. The cam shaft tone wheel is held by three cap screws and two were in the bottom of the oil pan and the third was only holding by about 2 threads.
Interesting. What was the damage on that bad boy? Couple g's?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It was close to that. The dealer cut me a break on the cost since something like that should NEVER happen,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So cam is spinning. Everything looks good in there. He went into the left hand and two rods were bent...everything else looks good but the rods.

He hasn't gone into the right but that's the first stop. He was thinking $1200 and hopefully that does the trick.

Sound reasonable? I'm in territory I'm not familiar enough with. I do trust the guy ... He could have told me all the pistons were shot too....

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Big question is why are the rods bent? What is the history of this truck do you know?

When yoiu open an LB7 like this you'd be taking a huge risk not replacing all 8 injectors and supply lines.

Studs for sure on heads. You can't get a head gasket job done right for less than $5k there's 40+ hrs realistically in one and that's not doing bottom end work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Big question is why are the rods bent? What is the history of this truck do you know?

When yoiu open an LB7 like this you'd be taking a huge risk not replacing all 8 injectors and supply lines.

Studs for sure on heads. You can't get a head gasket job done right for less than $5k there's 40+ hrs realistically in one and that's not doing bottom end work.
I know I'm the second owner, first owner bought new and trade it in when I bought it, I do not have that owner's contact information but I do know that he lives somewhere about 30 miles away from me.

I am going to have to assume that there was a hydrolock situation at some point... Or the roads were bent before and somebody straighten out on a driveway with a hammer. I don't know. I am going to call him this afternoon and just talk through the options and pricing of doing absolutely everything while he's in there. If it gets too high, I might just look to a full block replacement.

The biggest problem with the timing is we are due for a trip we can't miss in 2 weeks. Father's day, we go up to where my wife's dad died young in a hunting accident. If we can't make any other trip all year, we can't miss this one. I know it seems a bit foolish, but given that, if I can pay $1,500 to get through that trip two hours away, I will just eat that when I returned and get into long-term replacement. Sh*t happens.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I know I'm the second owner, first owner bought new and trade it in when I bought it, I do not have that owner's contact information but I do know that he lives somewhere about 30 miles away from me.

I am going to have to assume that there was a hydrolock situation at some point... Or the roads were bent before and somebody straighten out on a driveway with a hammer. I don't know. I am going to call him this afternoon and just talk through the options and pricing of doing absolutely everything while he's in there. If it gets too high, I might just look to a full block replacement.

The biggest problem with the timing is we are due for a trip we can't miss in 2 weeks. Father's day, we go up to where my wife's dad died young in a hunting accident. If we can't make any other trip all year, we can't miss this one. I know it seems a bit foolish, but given that, if I can pay $1,500 to get through that trip two hours away, I will just eat that when I returned and get into long-term replacement. Sh*t happens.
If it were me I would get a rental so you won't miss the expected trip.
Leave the truck at the shop and let them do the repairs correctly.

Reactions: alpacalips

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just cant make myself believe that two bent rods would make it sound like that and not start at all. Something else must be going on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If it were me I would get a rental so you won't miss the expected trip.
Leave the truck at the shop and let them do the repairs correctly.
That is hard to disagree with. Reckon I can start looking to see if somebody rents something that the pulls a big damn fifth wheel over mountain passes for two weeks. That's the rub.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I think he's talking pushrods. Nothing else makes sense. Probably some on the other side as well. My guess is the no start was an air issue and the ether start caused the pile up.

Again if you put it back together with the same injectors and lines you run a high risk of having a turd that will not pull or worse yet burns pistons.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hey y'all. So I did take your advice and had the whole damn thing done, couple extra coins out of the old pocket but worth it, as you said, since they are already in there.

The ultimate issue was that crank he was indeed sheared off. They hauled ass and got me the truck back in time. I'm ready to rock, she sounds great

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Hey y'all. So I did take your advice and had the whole damn thing done, couple extra coins out of the old pocket but worth it, as you said, since they are already in there.

The ultimate issue was that crank he was indeed sheared off. They hauled ass and got me the truck back in time. I'm ready to rock, she sounds great
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for the update!
(y)

Reactions: alpacalips

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for the update!
(y)
No, thank you guys. I did still have to shop it, but coming from a lifetime of half ton gasoline Chevrolet's, it was nice to get into the diesel. The interest has become an obsession, haha. I really appreciate the input and insight - and I'm now a Kennedy Diesel customer full bore. So at least someone got something out of the adventure!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Kennedy is definitely 'Top Tier".

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know you're getting ready for a trip for Father's day, but when you get a minute would you mind listing all of the components that were changed and what was done to get you back up and running? Thanks.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts