Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD (LB7)
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning y'all. I will post a link below to the "noise" that I'm getting - honestly have never heard anything like it and I'm damn-near out of ideas. My eternal thanks in advance:

2004 6.6l, 3" exhaust, ATP Idaho Rob tune from previous owner (own only a basic ODBII scanner so can't really see beyond that), CAI, otherwise pretty well stock. I was fixing on hooking up to the fifth wheel yesterday, I turn the key and get about half a second of turnover and then a screech, combined with a glug glug from the tailpipe, combined with no start.

I have manually checked every fuse in the bonnet as well as the cabin, I've replaced the starter, inspected the flywheel visually, but didn't try to turn it, etc., replaced both batteries, replaced fuel filter and water seperator last month, and last night out of pure desperation I gave it a tiny shot of ether into the turbo to see if it would try any harder to turn over. Same result. This morning I dumped everything from the seperator (aftermarket - inline in front of rear driver's tire) and the Fuel Filter (also aftermarket - single unit CAT), and while in the middle just turned the key to on real quick - got a decent amounf of low pressure diesel spilled on the driveway so I know the pump is at least pulling to that point. I have my Live scan info below.

At this point, I am stuck with no go, no ideas, I'm a couple hundred bucks in and don't want to get further if I'm not certain on the problem, the wife and kids will be screaming over my shoulder about going camping the whole time, haha.

ODBII Live Data:

"Key to Run" / "Cranking"

ECT: 55/55
MAP: 23.3/23.3
RPM: 0/192
VSS 0/0
IAT: 64/64
MAF: .9 (on) / 2.5 (Run) / 2.5 (Cranking)
FRP: 178.4/5325.8 (Is 5000psi sufficient to get things started? I should think so)

Also; I have not popped codes at all until this morning - briefly I got the following:

0900 - Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Open Circuit.

Could this be the culprit?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And a link to the noise...it's like it is trying REALLY hard for a half second, then "that noise." Also; the tailpipe has a distinct "glug glug glug glug" the entire time...akin to if your timing had fallen off on a spark rotor, or like it's trying to backfire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction on FRP (in psi):

FRP: 178 (on) / 203 (Run) / 1500 (Cranking)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad starter, or maybe low voltage/amps at the starter solenoid. Sounds like the starter is spinning but the bendix spring is not being actuated to pull the starter gear on the starter into the flywheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure sounds like a bad starter, or maybe low voltage/amps at the starter solenoid. Sounds like the starter is spinning but the bendix spring is not being actuated to pull the starter gear on the starter into the flywheel.
Those were my thoughts as well. Have not checked voltage - but did replace the starter yesterday about noon. No change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did go ahead and throw the voltmeter on - ground to secondary battery, positive to solenoid line. Batteries are looking at about 12.8, lead on starter at "crank" is at 12.2. So I just about need to officially rule out the starter.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I would check voltage to the solenoid terminal to make sure it's at battery voltage level. Low voltage could be caused by bad fuse or relay, or somewhere in the circuit. Pull both the fuse and relay and check them to see if working correctly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would check voltage to the solenoid terminal to make sure it's at battery voltage level. Low voltage could be caused by bad fuse or relay, or somewhere in the circuit. Pull both the fuse and relay and check them to see if working correctly.
So I checked at the ring that connects to the starter - it's getting 12.2. Are you saying I need to move back and start at the fuse block? And thank you, by the way. I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To update the rest:

Re-installed the starter, just in case. Voltmeter tells me I'm getting 12.2 to the starter solenoid so I feel good there.

I've pulled all the passenger bank glow plugs and tried firing it up on the off-chance there was a compression issue. No change.

I'm about to do the same to the driver's side. I'm still not popping ANY codes for anything - this concerns me a bit as the ECM should be indicating that sh*t is being disconnected all over the place. Could it be as simple as a bad ECM? I am so lost right now.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
So I checked at the ring that connects to the starter - it's getting 12.2. Are you saying I need to move back and start at the fuse block? And thank you, by the way. I really appreciate the input.
I just want to make sure I understand at least part of the problem. I know that there is a noise, and I think the noise is the starter turning but NOT engaging the fllywheel, and the engine is not turning over. Is the engine actually turning over even though there is the noise?

12.2V at the S terminal of the starter is fine. No need to check further at this point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy h*ll. I think I ran it down. After much frustration I decided to start tracing the fuel rails to make sure there wasn't a crimp or the likes - found 4, not 2, wires running from a pigtail up into what appeared to be the fuel tank. When I raised the bed this morning I found a "Kennedydiesel.com Tandem Lift Pump." I don't know for certain this is the problem but I can tell you the following:
1) It buzzes every so gently in "run" - doesn't seem to be running hard enough to push low pressure fuel up.
2)With the Seperator off,Key to "run" just barely dripples fuel out.
3) Now that I'vedrained the seperator and turned the key about 400 times - I'm no longer able to prime fuel up at the manual primer in front - meaning I believe this entire time I've only had whatever fuel was left in the rails from the seperator to the CP3/Injectors. And I've nowrun out of that littlebit of fuel. Any thoughts? At any rate; I'm about to order a replacement and if it doesn't fix it - return it.

·
Administrator
15,679 Posts
Contact John Kennedy @ Kennedy Diesel and explain the issue to him. He is one of our supporting vendors and can give you some guidance on his product

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Contact John Kennedy @ Kennedy Diesel and explain the issue to him. He is one of our supporting vendors and can give you some guidance on his product
Oh awesome! I was actually drafting an email up earlier - I'll keep on with that. I would way rather by a like-for-like replacement than pulling it all out and going with an Airdog or the likes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok - sent Mr. Kennedy an email asking about his opinion on the symptoms back there - replacement cost, etc. Thanks guys - not knowing the name I was a bit leary about just ordering a direct replacement when I could go with a "big name brand" but if he's a supporting vendor here - I'm happy to give him my business. I have owned the truck for just over 2 years so there's no way of telling how long that's been installed, or how hard it has been run, etc. Can't blame a manufacturer when you don't know the facts!

·
Administrator
15,679 Posts
Oh awesome! I was actually drafting an email up earlier - I'll keep on with that. I would way rather by a like-for-like replacement than pulling it all out and going with an Airdog or the likes.
A phone call would be quicker. His contact info is listed on the website:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A phone call would be quicker. His contact info is listed on the website:
Yeah - I called this morning when I discovered it but I didn't leave a voicemail. And then I fell into an all-day tumble googling lift pumps, haha. I'll call and leave a VM again now. Thanks a lot OK.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well shoot. I just spoke wiht Mr. Kennedy - hell of a nice guy. He does not believe it's the Lift pumps. The engine should turn without them even being powered up. I think I might have to start facing the reality that this could damn well be a CP3 gone out. Argh.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So John suggested I disconnect power to the lift pump, then prime the absolute hell out of the system manually, crank, repeat. The problem now is: I went on that primer about 50 pumps worth of air, another 20 worth of just fuel, closed it up, and have now pumped it somewhere around 200 rounds and I absolutely cannot get that thing hard (that's what she said). Anyone ever had that before? I don't see any spillage anywhere, no bubbling between tank and OEM filter primer...The last time I changed the Seperator and Filter (two separate units, by the way, sep at rear near tank and single-unit CAT filter up front) - it took about 50 total pumps to prime without air.

·
Administrator
15,679 Posts
So John suggested I disconnect power to the lift pump, then prime the absolute hell out of the system manually, crank, repeat. The problem now is: I went on that primer about 50 pumps worth of air, another 20 worth of just fuel, closed it up, and have now pumped it somewhere around 200 rounds and I absolutely cannot get that thing hard (that's what she said). Anyone ever had that before? I don't see any spillage anywhere, no bubbling between tank and OEM filter primer...The last time I changed the Seperator and Filter (two separate units, by the way, sep at rear near tank and single-unit CAT filter up front) - it took about 50 total pumps to prime without air.
Rebuild or replace the filter head.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll start there. Going to go cocktail this evening away and get up early to visually inspect every damn inch of fuel system tomorrow - including a rebuild on that guy if I can find a kit local in the AM. Thanks all. Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts