Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
New to the form, I have a 2004 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Crew cab 4x4. the truck is starting to show the age on it, and i am trying to decide to start replacing parts here and there or should i look at replacing the truck? Wondering you guys opinions or if anyone has pretty much rebuilt one of these before and would you still do it again or just replace the truck if you had to do over again. The previous owner (which i know) replaced, injectors, injector harnesses, glow plugs, head gaskets, Arp Head studs. it also has a EFI live mild tune from ppei. after market exhaust and air intake. the problems with it now are loose steering (idler and pitman arm), and a coolant leak somewhere (not headgaskets, narrowed that much down.) Of course if i started doing parts i would do the front end and all of that, just curious if it would be a smart move or if i would be better off just looking into replacing the truck all together. it has 226k miles and all work was done about 195k. Thanks in advanced!

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your post over to the LB7 section of the forum for more appropriate answers to your issue.

:thumb:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’m in the same boat. I’m interested to hear peoples opinions on this. 2002 with 183,788 and a little bit of smoke at idle.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Yeah, the stuff I need to fix with my truck (odd electrical problem, leaking hoses, general wear parts, now the hydroboost has a bit of a leak, a seal on the front diff keeps failing) is WAY cheaper than a monthly truck payment/higher insurance payment.

I've got 80k km on my rebuilt transmission & transfer case, and if the engine looks like it's failing, I'll rebuild the engine in my parts truck and swap it in.

The most likely parting of my truck and me will be a collision that costs more than the truck is worth (a fairly low hurdle to clear) and is damaged in a way I can't repair.

·
Registered
2001 Chevy Suburban LBZ 4x4
36 Posts
I would fix it. None of your problems seem to difficult and it's much easier to work on a 04 than a new truck and it's also alot cheaper

·
Registered
849 Posts
Rust issues would be my deciding factor not mechanical on these gen 1 trucks.

If it’s solid and you like it fix it. Even better if it’s paid for, I hate car payments!

Of course, I would sell it and get a 1ton CC4x4 dually...because I think everyone should have at least 1 dually!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep it. you have the best engine in it. No emissions, lots of power. I have 217,000 on mine and wouldn't trade it for one with all that junk they put on them now. Mine smokes a little on idle once and a while too. throw some good injection cleaner in there. And get rid of that stock fuel filter. Its only good for 10 microns. Get a nicktane adapter and run a cat filter that filters to 2 microns. Thats why the lb7 had such problems with the injectors. Stock filter lets too much junk through it. And the cat filter is a lot cheaper too. Change it twice a year and you wont have any problems.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Cheaper to keep her....

Then again, I am biased to my LB7...

I always say.... "I can do ALOT of fixing for a new truck payment".

·
Registered
489 Posts
I bought the Raped Ape new and she's got 310k on her. Yep I've spent a tidy sum on injectors($4k),gaskets ($2k) and always spending money replacing wear items. Probably $7k or more. Just replaced the windshield today for $180. It's worth it.

Biggest challenge is keeping it rustproofed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an 01 Crew cab LB7 and let her go at 134k. It was giving an airbag light and Chevy cancer eating out the doors and rear fender. It was a stock truck and had few problems out of it. Making a long story short, I wasn't married at the time and had a crap job. I miss that truck. Sold it to get a newer gasser for the job I took at the time. Miss that truck all the time. With this EPA stuff thats going on I'd put money in it if you have it available and keep it. I've gotten another LB7 and it's a garage queen now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a Cali emissions truck. Would your opinions stay the same? I hate the egr crap but have to smog every two years living in this communist libtard state.

·
Super Moderator
5,983 Posts
If an older truck doesn't have rust, fix it! I sold my 2002 a couple of years ago because I bought a new truck and couldn't see having two trucks. I am not sure if I made the right choice or not. My truck ran great and had 270k on it. It needed nothing, but the new truck spoiled me.

·
Registered
2009 Chevy LMM
16,207 Posts
keep it if it is rust free...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts