Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 GMC 2500 hd with a duramax at times looses all electrical power
at start up. Truck turns over and gets one shot of fuel cranks for one second and dies. It only happens when cold. The first time it happened, after repeted cranking attempts for about 3 miniutes it started but with no electrical power (lights,Radio, etc.). I was able to drive than the lights turned on and off than came on. Brought to dealer told me my ground was loose. Second time in my garage my power door locks repeatadly opening and closing, running lights on than off, interior dash lights on and off. I removed the fuses under hood in electrical box,reinstalled in morning started and drove off.Last night left home (22 degrees) drove 7 miles
power door locks would not work to unlock(radio,power windows and head lights all worked),put truck in park shut off and it would not start with same symptoms as above.Pushed it in to a spot and called wrecker.One hour later went outside turned over and started. Any HELP??

Lou Cavaliere [email protected]

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I use to have a 66 ford truck. Going down the road one night, I put on my turn signal and everything started blinking - headlights, interior/dash lights etc. I was clueless but a I asked a mechanic friend of mine and he told me that I had a loose ground someware. Well a 66 was pretty basic so I found the ground behind the dash and fixed it. Have you checked your battery connections all tight etc / ground tight on the motor. There have been a few case of leaking terminals ( me included ) and some have actually had the battery cable / terminal fall off. Just be carfull - remember with 2 bats the cables are still hot from the other side.....Good luck

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Thats a pretty weird electrical problem but like mightyvh said check the battery cables.

My cables were loose at the starter from the factory and that caused a few problems like yours.

And if you can't find anything on your own bring it to the dealer and tell them to fix it right.

DD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts