Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2004 Chevy 2500HD with the new LLY diesel engine. The truck as approx. 500 miles on it and has just developed a very noticeable grinding or groaning noise from the front end when the brakes are applied. The noise is only noticeable when coming to a stop. I would guess the vehicle speed to be around 15 to 0 miles per hour. It sounds like an intermittent groaning. My first guess it the brake pads, but at times it also sounds like something in the suspension. Any guess as to what this it before I take it in to the dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I see you have an HD and when you slow down the torsion bars may be giving and causing the noise. I would it back in and have it looked at. Also you may take a look at the brake calipers. On my other HD that I had it was a 2WD and I did not have the noise but found a loose brake caliper. I would have it checked out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Check out this thread on front diff's ... especially the last post from GM Tech Patrick regarding front end “grinding” noise.
What is this stuff that was in my front differential?
However, what you’re describing does sound more like a “new” brake pad to “new” rotor noise. I’ve noticed this kind of noise when first switching to carbon metallic brake pads on my 01 Malibu, but it went away after a while…

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have heard it a few times. And felt it, very slightly, in the wheel. I just blew it off, thinking just some dirt/roadgrime on the pads. I recall hitting the brakes pretty hard when it happened. Time to do a little road testing today to try and replicate the noise. Edited by: SonnyBear

·
Registered
663 Posts
SwenTech Racing said:
... The truck as approx. 500 miles on it and has just developed a very noticeable grinding or groaning noise from the front end when the brakes are applied. The noise is only noticeable when coming to a stop. ...

Noises are hard to describe with out actualy hearing them, but I was just re-reading your post and the ABS "groaning" noise also came to mind... (We hear it all the time here in the Northeast when braking on slippery roads...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts