Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST BOUGHT A 2004 GMC SERRIA 2500 C.C. S.B. AND WAS READING ON ANOTHER POST THAT THEY ARE UP GRADING THE DURAMAX IN JANUARY. I WAS WONDERING WHAT THE CHANGES WERE GOING TO BE AND THE BENIFITS WOULD BE?

FIRST GMC FOR ME ALWAYS HAD FORD TRUCKS BEFORE. LAST TRUCK WAS A 2003 F-350 6.0 POWERSTROKE DIESEL C.C. S.B. THE TRUCK TURNED OUT TO BE A LEMON AND FORD BOUGHT IT BACK. I NEEDED A TRUCK SO I ORDERED A 2004 REPLACEMENT F-350. TRUCK ARRIVED WITH A 2003 MOTOR SO I SAID THAT THEY COULD KEEP IT.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello all

Real ford users are switching to GM now Because of the new 6.0.. WOW... We did most of our fleet are powerstrokes.. Now where a GM/Ford Fleet.. With more Duramax's to come..

Unreal what ford has done

From steve
Fleet

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The upgrades to the new motor are the addition of a Garret VNT tubocharger and a redesign of the cylinderhead to allow for easier service of the injectors. I'm not sure if the injectors will be the same or different but the torque and Hp are going to increase! The final numbers appear to be 340 Hp and 580 ft/lbs but they are not out yet so they can and will most likely change as this motor has lots of room for increases.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read somewhere that GM is going to offer a "municipal" grade DMax that is rev limited with a limit to the horsepower of 210. The torque will be the same, but the lower hp should limit the lead-footed city or fleet drivers that need the pulling power of the engine but not the speed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A member over at TDP, states that the engine will be in full production on November 1. He works in the Dmax plant. Trucks with the new engines will probably be available in January. I called my dealer today, as I am still waiting to know the facts before I place my order for the 2004. The dealer said he will find out if it is going into production soon or not. If all is true about the LLY, then waiting an extra month or two is the smart move.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've been wanting to place my order for a 2500HD 4x4 CC but have been kinda holding off for more info. So I called and talked to my local dealer today. He made some calls to get me some info. He did get back to me and said;

1. No new engine untill 2005.
2. LLY option is only for 3500 4x4 SRW.

GM sent me the specs for the LLY and LB7 and both are the same. I wonder what the difference is?

Now I'm thinking I'm just going to order.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dealers also want you to come in a buy one off the lot. Telling you the LLY is way off is in their best interest. Same thing by telling you it won't be available in the configuration you want.

My guess is that it would cost them too much money to make both the LB7 and LLY side by side. I bet when the last LB7 is sold, the LLY will replace it across the board. And from what I have heard, the LB7 is already not being assembled any more, and the warehouse is slowly clearing out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out www.chevy.com and build a new 2500HD. It has the option for the LLY engine on the website! I called several dealers in the area and not could confirm when the option will actually be available. Right now the option is listed, but without a price with it. A worker from the Dmax plant over at the TDP, posted that full production of the LLY will start November 1. If that is the case, it probably will take a couple months for the LLY to show up on a lot. I imagine when the LB7 runs out, then it could be sooner or later. I, too, am waiting to order. If all is true about the LLY, then it would be smart to wait a few weeks to see if the LLY indeed starts full production. I agree that the dealers will tell you anything to get your order now. That is also why the information is so scarce right now. If they announced it, everyone looking to buy a new 2500HD probably would not want the LB7. Still, putting it on the website is interesting. Time will tell, I will wait awhile longer to find out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
99mo,

Here is what GMC sent me in reply to my question on the LLY. I also asked Chevy the same and the reply was the same with no specs since I didn't ask for them.

Thank you for contacting GMC and for your interest in the 2004 GMC Sierra!
The LLY is the Turbo Diesel engine and is available only on the 3500 Sierra.
The LB7 is also a Turbo Diesel engine but requires dual rear wheels. The
LLY requires 4WD and single rear wheels. Please see your dealer for
ordering information. I have included the specs for the LLY below as you
requested.
>
> LLY DURAMAX 6600 V8 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
>
>
> Engine type Overhead Valves
> Piston displacement, cu. in.(liter) 402 (6.59)
> Bore and stroke, in.(cm.) 4.1 x 3.9 (10.41 x 9.91)
> Compression ratio 17.5:1
> Exhaust - single All
> Horsepower [email protected] rpm
> Kilowatts(kW) [email protected] rpm
> Torque (lb.-ft.) [email protected] rpm
> Newton - Meters (N-m) [email protected] rpm

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey guys. Ordered my truck on 9/27. Assumed Id be getting the LB7. Talked to my dealer today and the estimated delivery date is 12/5, a good 10 weeks from when I ordered. This is much longer than I had been told originally. Could it be my truck was too late and they are going to put the LLY in it, accounting for the extra weeks?? koolgt, over at TDP, has said LLY production in Nov, which makes my truck hitting the concrete a month after a candidate for the engine??? Thanks.

Bob

Edit: koolgt, who supposedly works at the Dmax factory, says LLY full blown production on Nov 1. Nov. 1--Dec. 5 roughly 4 weeks for my truck to get the engine. What do you think??Edited by: bowtiebob

·
Registered
457 Posts
bowtiebob while the internet is a great way to learn there are somethings it cannot do. The ONLY way you'll find out what engine you are getting is to call or visit the dealership that placed the order.
Voodoo said:
99mo,

Here is what GMC sent me in reply to my question on the LLY. I also asked Chevy the same and the reply was the same with no specs since I didn't ask for them.

Thank you for contacting GMC and for your interest in the 2004 GMC Sierra! The LLY is the Turbo Diesel engine and is available only on the 3500 Sierra.
The LB7 is also a Turbo Diesel engine but requires dual rear wheels. The LLY requires 4WD and single rear wheels.  Please see your dealer for ordering information.  I have included the specs for the LLY below as you requested.
>
> LLY DURAMAX 6600 V8 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
>
>
> Engine type  Overhead Valves
> Piston displacement, cu. in.(liter)  402 (6.59)
> Bore and stroke, in.(cm.)  4.1 x 3.9 (10.41 x 9.91)
> Compression ratio  17.5:1
> Exhaust - single  All
> Horsepower [email protected] rpm
> Kilowatts(kW) [email protected] rpm
> Torque (lb.-ft.) [email protected] rpm
> Newton - Meters (N-m) [email protected] rpm
The Duramax in it's current configuration, LB7, is a great engine but if the HP/TQ numbers are not increased on the new LLY engine it won't be the end of the world but I will be a little disappointed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
well i did get some more info for u guys yesterday at work...found out from our newsletter....we are working nov 30th.that is the 03 buildout date...they pushed it back a month from the 1st to the 30th so now our 04 starting date is the 30th unless its changed again

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Thanks kool. We appreciate you keeping us up to date.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went to the dealer today and just spoke to my dealer he stated to me ( the new LLY engine is only available as a option in 3500 sieries, and could now be ordered for $1300 more). Just thought I would add this info. I did look at this info in black and white. David

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check this out, I emailed Chevy and this is their reply today:

"Thank you for contacting GM Buypower. We apologize for the difficulties that you have encountered while navigating the Build Your Own portion of our web site. This LLY option for a Duramax Engine is incorrect and there is not a different Duramax Engine that can be ordered for this vehicle. We are aware of this issue and have reported this to our web site developers. We hope to have this issue resolved soon.

If you would like further information on this vehicle you may contact the Chevrolet Marketing Support at 1-800-950-2438.

Once again, thank you for your interest in GM BuyPower. If you have any further questions please contact us at the GM BuyPower Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-462-8976. Customer Relationship Managers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern time, seven days a week.

Sincerely,

Kristie Botello
Customer Relationship Manager
GM BuyPower"

Well, I did call and talk to a marketing representative. In a nutshell, the guy at first denied the LLY was option, then backtracked as we talked and he checked out the the website himself. He advised to call back on Monday as the managers who "really knew" what was going with the LLY would be there at that time. I will be making that call on Monday. (the truck I was building was 2004 2500HD 4x4)

·
Registered
170 Posts
--kool, how long does it take for these new engines to go from being made to being put in trucks?? Looks like I will be one of the last lucky ones to get the LB7 before they switch over.

--This is interesting that GM actually responded about the LLY not being an option, when kool is telling us that they start building them on 11/30. What will say when one day all of sudden the LLY IS an option??

Bob

1 - 20 of 39 Posts