Diesel Place banner

2004 8.1L Vortec showing Reduced Engine Power

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ArchaicAeronaut 
#1 ·
While changing my water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt idler pulley, tensioner pulley, upper and lower radiator hoses on this 2004 P32 Workhorse (Winnebago), I noticed before I disconnected the battery, that it showed Reduced Engine Power on my dashboard. Before deciding to change the water pump, I had changed air filter, and cleaned MAF when the reduced power showed up. Since finishing all the cooling system and belt work, I have yet to reinstall the throttle body, air tube, and MAF.
I don't want any surprises, and would appreciate any education you can give me on this indication. Thanks in advance:)

#2 ·
If the message came up after cleaning the MAF then that's likely the fault. The air cleaner is not going to cause that. Make sure the connections are clean and well seated and inspect the MAF to make sure it's not somehow damaged.

Reactions: ArchaicAeronaut
#4 ·
I'd start it and if you can, read the code(s). See if it drives fine or if you really have 'reduced power'. If it drives fine, it could be that it was a single code event that may reset itself after several hot/cold drive cycles as long as the code doesn't reappear. If you feel reduced power you likely have a problem that needs to be rectified. The code will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.