Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum but have been reading it for a while. I am looking at purchasing a GMC 2004 2500 or 3500 with the new LLY diesel. I would like a 6 speed since I tow a 10K 3 horse trailer. I currently have a 99 Dodge CTD with the auto and hate that tranny. I know the Allision is great but I really want a 6 speed to tow with - I could also then have a exhaust brake. However, I am very concerned about the flywheel problem and would appreciate feed back from you on the following:

1. How many of the flywheels actually fail and at about how much milage?

2. Why has GM not redesigned the flywheel to fix this problem?

3. If it breaks while towing will I be able to limp home or will i and my horses by sitting along side the road?

4. Do you expect anyone to come up with an aftermarket flywheel that will solve the problem. I don't think there is one now.

5. My dealer says the flywheel is covered only to 36K not 100K. Is this true.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
According to my dealer if they were to replace my flywheel the new one has a different part # than what the 01-03s came with. Maybe 04s have this flywheel as well? As far as being covered under warranty my 03 owners manual lists the flywheel as being included in the 5/100k engine warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. Today, I spoke with another Chevy dealer. I spend about 45 minutes with the Service Manager. He looked up the Tech Service Bulletins and could not find anything. Then he checked PIs (or something like that) this advised him that as of Nov 2003 the flywheel had a new part number and larger bolt holes than the prior flywheel so on earlier models they had to use cones on the bolts from the engine. I would say that this maybe an indicator that they identified and problem and took some corrective action on the flywheel. They were going to follow-up and let me know why the flywheel part was changed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
TWHMAN that seems strange that the bolt holes are bigger. The 01 and up trucks have 8 14mm bolts and there isn't much room for anything bigger. Did you see a picture or just what the mgr told you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he is being straight with me he looked it up while I was standing there and read it to me off his screen. My real job kind of requires me to be able to detect cra^ that people are telling me and I did not get that opinion from this guy. I am waiting to hear a little more. However, there have been several other post about the part # being changed post on this site and others so I think that probably also adds some crediability.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wasn't doubting you. In fact I have the new flywheel part # and also know that it is the only # available so it does fit the other year models but the parts dept didn't know if you had to order any other hardware or if it came with it. My local dealer doesn't work as hard for me as yours did because they couldn't find it but I will keep trying to get more info. These flywheels don't have a problem with coming loose so it seemed strange that area was changed but maybe there were other changes also.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't know if this is something new or not but the new flywheel does come with new bolts. Don't know if it's because the new bolts are different or because the originals are spec'd for 1 time use only.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The bolts are the same. The service manager said the new flywheel has a bigger balancer on it and he thought it had bigger springs on it. And no the bolts don't come with it because he said that they had to put the old bolts back in it because the new ones was on 3 weeks back order. And they have put 2 flywheels in mine in 6000 miles. The last one they put in was the new one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Like Jared83 stated the bolts are the same part# and no other hardware is needed. Bolts need to be ordered seperately because they are supposed to be 1 time use. Haven't talked to the mfg. yet to find out what exactly is different.

Jared83 did your truck come with the new part# and if not was it replaced both times with the new # or the old?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
twhman said:
I would like a 6 speed since I tow a 10K 3 horse trailer. I currently have a 99 Dodge CTD with the auto and hate that tranny. I know the Allision is great but I really want a 6 speed to tow with - I could also then have a exhaust brake.

Don't want to steer you away from a 6 spd - wish mine was - but you CAN get an exhaust brake with the allison... Food for thought.

Ty

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Jared83 said:
The bolts are the same. The service manager said the new flywheel has a bigger balancer on it and he thought it had bigger springs on it. And no the bolts don't come with it because he said that they had to put the old bolts back in it because the new ones was on 3 weeks back order. And they have put 2 flywheels in mine in 6000 miles. The last one they put in was the new one.

You should have your dealer check again. The new part # flywheel that was delivered to my dealer came with new bolts and it didn't take 3 weeks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If it came with the bolts then they were ordered extra. They are a separate item and GM requires the dealership to replace them. I got my dealership to pull up the PI today and it stated they had to be replaced if the flywheel was removed but they are the same bolt from 01 to 04.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first flywheel was the old one but the last one was the new part #. They keep the flywheel in stock where they work on my truck but they only had 2 or 3 bolts in stock and the ones they had ordered was on about a three week back order. The new one seems to be holding up but the tranny I think is the problem for my flywheel falure. Its got a bad vibration in 4 5 6. And GM want ever call them back with the go ahead to replace the tranny. But thats alright. Because I'll just load the wagon and want worry about the MULE. The problem will show up eventually. I hope it ain't on the the side of the road.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just had a new flywheel put in last week and after two days it is back to making the same rattling noise, Supposedly GM is redesigning another flywheel that is want the dealership told me.
I just want a regular single piece flywheel the put in the 4500/5500

1 - 14 of 14 Posts