Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is looking for a Toy Hauler. He's looking at the Raptors and All American Sports. He has a 2004 2500 with the 6.0 liter. Of course the salesman tells him, he can pull them(34~36ft). I need real world opinions. Please let me know what you have done.
I say he needs a 1 ton to pull that big of a trailer and a diesel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It will pull it. The big question is will it handle a grade or a stiff headwind? Will it get over 5 mpg? My last truck was a 2500HD ext cab 4x4 with a 6.0l in it. Pulling a 14' enclosed trailer, empty (about 2500 #), due to the trailers height my truck worked its a$$ off to hold 70-73 mph on the highway and got around 7-8 mpg doing it while constantly shifting up and down. A good headwind would downshift the truck. The same trailer in similar conditions with my dmax (before the Banks 6 gun) would hold 75mph all day and got 14 mpg doing it. For a trailer of any size, more power = more better, just my .02 .

more power = :grd:

·
Registered
128 Posts
If he's going downhill with a tailwind, he should be OK. I pulled a 8000 lb travel trailer loaded from Washington to Montana and it struggled on every hill. At one point I was going downhill with a VERY strong headwind and I almost pushed the gas pedal through the floor trying to maintain 55 mph.

It may pull it, but he probably won't be happy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm pulling 39' and it does just fine. . . would I like more power. . . duh. . . but, it does just fine.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Trailering Specs - Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra

Here is a file with trailering specs form GM website for the Silverado/Sierra trucks.

Max trailer weight for 2500HD 4x4 Extended Cab / Short Bed with 6.0L gas engine is 10,100 pounds.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!!!!

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
I could pull my 12K# toy hauler with my 6.0l, I wasn't the fastest truck on the road but did fine. As a record, I did pull 14k of sheetrock for 100 miles and had no problems. 6.0l is a good engine, just not the fastest.

·
Registered
324 Posts
you see by my sig, I've got both. My gasser to TN with 6000lbs bumper pull, had to stop at 1/4 tank because I didn't want be in the middle of nowhere having to fill. that was about 180 miles. of course that was traveling at 75+. no problems with the weight at all. but having said that, my diesel pulls my GN with total weight of 12k easier than my gasser with the bumper pull.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What rear end does he have? I had an '01 HD with the 6 liter, it was a fourwheel drive and had a 4:11 rear end and it was rated to tow a fifthwheel at 9,900 lbs max. It towed our fifthwheel ok, but could tell it was a strain, plus I only got 6.8 mpg. The only thing I miss about that truck is the color, it sure was a pretty truck.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The reason I got my diesel was so that I would not have to ask these questions later down the road.
Loads like that may shorten the life of the gas engine and your pocket book if he travels alot.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My Jayco is 9500lbs, and with family and fuel the combo weighed 17250. I thought it pulled with good power, and the engine would run high rpms to keep it in the power band. I just sold it not because of the motor, but because I feared replacing the transmission if I kept towing that much weight. Towing mileage was 8.5-9mpg. Mike Z

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He bought a 36' Raptor and an 06 Chevy Dually with a Duramax.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like he's doing it right, the 6.0L would have been overmatched with that trailer. Mike Z

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts