Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 K2500 Suburban 6.0 4L80E, 3.73 gears
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Community question so I can source all the pieces

I have a 2003 Sub-2500 (6.0 with 4l80, 3.73, 4WD). Looking to make a daily/grocery/family tow vehicle. I called DB, but was told nothing older than 2007. I would love to drop the '03 off in FL and trade money for the hassle of donor and labor, but that's not an option. Can't accept letting go of the '03 when it's a great foundation.

I have been and will continue to read thru posts, but am curious about EFI Live requirements. My understanding is that I can go totally EFI-free and do the 30-min relearn procedure to have a running SUV. Some power feeds to TCM, a fuel lift pump, and wait to start wire is the bulk of electronics. I would like to use the existing dual tank transfer pump. Is EFI Live required for that, or has anyone run across a more simple way to get the CPU to manage both? I thought about sourcing a donor that had dual tanks, but just not sure.

I appreciate all help, wether it's in response to this, or the vast knowledge everyone has already shared on the site.

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Community question so I can source all the pieces

I have a 2003 Sub-2500 (6.0 with 4l80, 3.73, 4WD). Looking to make a daily/grocery/family tow vehicle. I called DB, but was told nothing older than 2007. I would love to drop the '03 off in FL and trade money for the hassle of donor and labor, but that's not an option. Can't accept letting go of the '03 when it's a great foundation.

I have been and will continue to read thru posts, but am curious about EFI Live requirements. My understanding is that I can go totally EFI-free and do the 30-min relearn procedure to have a running SUV. Some power feeds to TCM, a fuel lift pump, and wait to start wire is the bulk of electronics. I would like to use the existing dual tank transfer pump. Is EFI Live required for that, or has anyone run across a more simple way to get the CPU to manage both? I thought about sourcing a donor that had dual tanks, but just not sure.

I appreciate all help, wether it's in response to this, or the vast knowledge everyone has already shared on the site.
look for a PM...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks testdrive!!

For general updating; I am scouring the sites for a wrecked LBZ. So far, I have seen some 150k and a few 230k trucks. Since I will have the engine out of the truck and accessible for repairs, I am not overly concerned for the high mileage. If I need to rebuild it, then that will be more of an inconvenience that anything else. Also, I am fairly confident that I have the 10.5" full floating rear axle, so the chance of re-using that axle is present. I'm going to take the wheels off this weekend to verify. Not planning on running high power on the LBZ, just stock.

Anybody have experience using the stock Suburban front diff and rear axle? My RPO codes say I have C6P-(GVW=8,600lbs), JH6-(braking 9,900lbs), and Z85-(chassis package, Increased capacity).

As a point of interest, I have $3,650 in the suburban, so I have plenty of budget room to source and repair the donor equipment.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UGH!! The 'used car unknown history' bandit has struck again!!!

I was very hopeful when I looked at the wheels thinking I might have the full float axle due to the center cap protrusion...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Only to find that I have the semi-float axle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Guess they got a deal on the wheels, and didn't buy them because they needed the extended center cap.

Oh well, looks like I'll be finding a donor that wasn't hit in the side-rear.

Best to everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts