Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Sierra with a Duramax that has developed a problem. It seems to turn over "good" but it wont start. I hooked up my scan tool and it spit out the following 40 DTC codes. Anybody have any ideas on where the problem may lie?

Thanks

P0218 Transmission Fluid Over temperature

P0562 System Voltage Low

P0563 System Voltage High

P0711 TFT Sensor Circuit – Range/Performance

P0712 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Voltage

P0716 Input Speed Sensor Range/Performance

P0717 Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

P0721 Output Speed Sensor Performance

P0722 Output Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal

P0731 Incorrect 1st Gear Ratio

P0732 Incorrect 2nd Gear Ratio

P0733 Incorrect 3rd Gear Ratio

P0734 Incorrect 4th Gear Ratio

P0735 5th Gear Incorrect Ratio

P0736 Reverse Incorrect Ratio

P0727 Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal

P0726 Engine Speed Input Circuit Performance

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch TCC System Stuck Off

P0742 Torque Converter Clutch TCC System Stuck On

P0763 Shift Solenoid Valve 3 Control Circuit

P0768 Shift Solenoid 4 Control Circuit Low Voltage

P0773 Shift Solenoid 5 Electrical

P0840 Transmission Pressure Switch Solenoid C Circuit

P0841 Transmission Pressure Switch Solenoid C Stuck Off

P0842 Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 1 Circuit Low Voltage

P0843 Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 1 Circuit High Voltage

P0845 Transmission Pressure Switch Solenoid D Circuit

P0846 Transmission Pressure Switch Solenoid D Circuit Stuck Open

P0847 Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 2 Circuit Low Voltage

P0848 Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 2 Circuit High Voltage

P0870 Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Pressure Sensor/Switch C Circuit

P0871 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch C Circuit Range/Performance

P0872 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch C Circuit Low

P0873 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch C Circuit High

P0747 Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 1 Stuck On

P0777 Pressure Control Solenoid B Stuck On

P0746 Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 1 Stuck Off

P0776 Pressure Control Solenoid B Performance or Stuck Off

P0561 System Voltage Unstable

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Start by individually load testing those batteries. if one or both fail the testing then replace them both as a matched set

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by individually load testing those batteries. if one or both fail the testing then replace them both as a matched set
Do you think a bad/weak battery could cause all of that? It does seem to turn over fine. If that was the culprit that would be GREAT

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Do you think a bad/weak battery could cause all of that? It does seem to turn over fine. If that was the culprit that would be GREAT
Voltage is only one indicator of battery status.
Load testing checks the condition of the cells. A bad battery cell can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Voltage is only one indicator of battery status.
Load testing checks the condition of the cells. A bad battery cell can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins
I have a little digital battery analyzer from Harbor Freight that tested them on. I'm not sure how much load it puts on them but one battery was 12.16V and the other was 12.12V. I may pull the batteries out and get them tested at Autozone as they probably have a better tester. That would be nice if it is just a battery issue. I'm sure hoping it is not a computer on it

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
I have a little digital battery analyzer from Harbor Freight that tested them on. I'm not sure how much load it puts on them but one battery was 12.16V and the other was 12.12V. I may pull the batteries out and get them tested at Autozone as they probably have a better tester. That would be nice if it is just a battery issue. I'm sure hoping it is not a computer on it
If you do have them tested at Autozone be sure to tell them to Load test (y)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well they tested the batteries yesterday and said both were bad. I put in 2 new batteries today and same issues. It won’t start and reports the same codes.

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Well they tested the batteries yesterday and said both were bad. I put in 2 new batteries today and same issues. It won’t start and reports the same codes.
With that many codes popping up you have an electrical issue somewhere.
I would start inspecting every inch of engine harness.
Look for any rubbed through wire insulation, corrosion, rodent damage, loose connections, etc.

Double check all fuses

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With that many codes popping up you have an electrical issue somewhere.
I would start inspecting every inch of engine harness.
Look for any rubbed through wire insulation, corrosion, rodent damage, loose connections, etc.

Double check all fuses
Thanks... I'm hoping and prying it is something easy and cheap to fix and not either the ECM or TCM or something else equally expensive.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So do you have data across the ALDL when you turn the key on engine off on your scanner with the new batteries?
Then do you have data at cranking?

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So do you have data across the ALDL when you turn the key on engine off on your scanner with the new batteries?
Then do you have data at cranking?
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. What is the ALDL? I'm only running the scanner when the ignition is ON but not cranking (but not running as it wont start).

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. What is the ALDL? I'm only running the scanner when the ignition is ON but not cranking (but not running as it wont start).

Thanks
ALDL = OBDII port, I guess I am showing my age
in the early days of computer controlled vehicles the diagnostic port was called the ALDL by GM.
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link.

Assembly Line Diagnostic Link or ALDL is a proprietary on-board diagnostics system developed by General Motors before the standardization of OBD-2.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ALDL = OBDII port, I guess I am showing my age
in the early days of computer controlled vehicles the diagnostic port was called the ALDL by GM.
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link.

Assembly Line Diagnostic Link or ALDL is a proprietary on-board diagnostics system developed by General Motors before the standardization of OBD-2.
Ah OK gotcha... the error codes I got were with the engine off (it wont start) but the ignition on and still displayed it after I put in two new batteries. It is just a harbor freight scanner so albeit it's not necessarily the best one out there. I know something is not happy as the various voltages can't be low AND high at the same time, just hoping it is not something expensive like a ECM or TCM.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So do you get anything with key on engine cranking, is it cranking?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So do you get anything with key on engine cranking, is it cranking?
It does crank, just doesn't start. Are you saying I should look at my scan tool while the engine is cranking and not just with the ignition in the on position? Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
With that many codes, I'd be looking for a broken ground wire. My LBZ had one once. Passenger side near the bottom of the engine. Caused all kinds of crazy codes, but it still ran. Intermittently dropping into limp mode.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With that many codes, I'd be looking for a broken ground wire. My LBZ had one once. Passenger side near the bottom of the engine. Caused all kinds of crazy codes, but it still ran. Intermittently dropping into limp mode.
I did see a broken ground wire that runs from the hood to the firewall, although not sure if that would impact it. Not even sure what it's purpose is being the hood is bolted to the body. I will replace that one and see if that makes a difference and see if I can find any others. I really hope it is something easy (cheap) to fix and not a control module

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts