Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Like to keep you up to date. We just pulled out of our
fleet 2003 4x4 K2500 miles on Dmax 147,000 ..

Like all of you to know Nothing major has been done to this unit it runs well still.. Reason i pulled this unit i'm going to put my 2003 Dmax in our fleet and get a 2004 for my self.. I'm the Boss i should have the best one This unit has been the best work Horse so far. Lab test came back last month with every thing looking good..My fleet sales person has this truck sold for me sight unseen .. Guys you have the best truck on the market .. 2 of my fords are in the shop having trans units put in.. DAM the fords.. The weak link is the Trans
on all of them.. Thanks GM for the allison.. I think at this point If the Allisons hold up like this The older ford fleet will be GM only

I'm going to order a 2004 with every bell on it.. If its
on the order sheet just add it.. The Blue for 2004 is the same as the 2003.. I forgot to add this i'm going to get
The LB7 Not going to try the LLY The LB7 works fine.. I'm
Not going to be the tester for the LLY ..

Thanks all
From steve
Fleet/owner

--------------------------------------------------------
Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the update, keeps my confidence high!!! LOL

You might get the LLY anyway depending on when you order it. I am thinking hard about the 2004 around about March next year myself.

Thanks for keeping us all up to date

·
Registered
909 Posts
For goodness sake, 147,000 miles should be just beginning to break the motor in.

The LB7 has a few small issues and the LLY should address these issues. For me, it's a no brainer to get the new and improved motor since it's not an evolutionary change in the design. Let's keep in mind GM did pretty well with the initial 2001 Duramax rollout and I would be very surprised if they botched the LLY.

·
Registered
410 Posts
nice post...in the day where all we read is probs..its a good confidence builder...that was my choice..if there were a better ride..i'd be in it...smartfix..your note had me laughin' out loud

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just curious on how the truck was used to roll-up 147K miles in a years time? Thats 400 - 500 miles per day.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello OC&all

That unit was on the road 24 hours a day.. Driving from
maine to FL and small towns as our supply truck.. Its very easy to get lots of miles on Fleet trucks..

From steve
Fleet

·
Registered
365 Posts
SMARTFIX,

That is real nice to see the post. Your mileage and lack of problems is unusual to read and welcome.

I also gather that this truck was NOT used to tow. Is that correct?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello captainmal

Very True This unit never towed anything .. It did have a
Full payload most of the time with supplys

From steve
Fleet

PS I have nothing bad to say.. BTY just a note the OEM Fuel filter was change around 5,000 miles .. Never cut one open

·
Registered
365 Posts
SMARTFIX,

Thanks for the info. Was just trying to roughly figure how much fuel that engine used compared to one that was towing for 1/2 of the mileage. After some thought I decided it was just a gratifying experience on your part and that's what is relevant.

You opened some eyes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I THINK YOU WILL HAVE NO CHOICE IN GETTING LLY, I HAVE TRUCK ORDERD (11/1) BUILD DATE 12/8. DEALER HAS TOLD ME IT WILL BE LLY. I THINK IT WILL BE AN IMPROVEMENT. LETS HOPE SO, HAPPY HOLIDAY

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all

Its Real funny with this.. You can ask 100 people and get
200 answers about the LLY or LB7.. Where going in next week
to get a 2004 Dmax for us.. Dealer has told me he has many in stock.. The key Q i told him is Color and it must be loaded .. He check all of them on lot and they where all LB7's .. He got a load in on Thursday and he look and they where all LB7's

I'm driving him nuts.. He is a real big dealer and he gets
Dmax's in by loads..I was there last week and they had
400 units there for 2 city's.. Thats great news when you see the city using them.. Yes all LB7's

From steve

Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
EGR system, cat convertor, and variable vane turbo could be a big concern with performance mods on the lly. What do all of you think

Geno

·
Registered
994 Posts
EGR and Cat have been present on California trucks with LB7 engine since 2002. The performance mods seem to work for everyone. Several of the box makers have special Calif settings. With all 50 states receiving the same engine, it should actually make things easier for the box makers (one configuration). There will probably be a learning curve on the new engine for the box makers.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
909 Posts
And there are aftermarket moduels for the variable vane turbo'd 6.0L.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quick question in regards to the new cat's on the diesels....aren't the cat's going to be a soot collector and need to be replaced before 100,000?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
chrisb009 said:
Quick question in regards to the new cat's on the diesels....aren't the cat's going to be a soot collector and need to be replaced before 100,000?

Most members cats will be skinned before 1000 miles
4" from downpipe back.. put the kitty cat up in the rafters.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Hey
What kind of filters you runnning on OIL/DIESEl???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
problemchild

Hello

Filters.. I hate to tell you this all OEM.. GM oil filters
and stock Fuel filters change around 5,000 miles.. Our Fleet is OEM .. We just pm trucks more then the book tells you to do.. We over do it.. Cost more .. But 147,000 with no major bugs.. I'm very happy.. Down time was very little.

From steveEdited by: smartfix

1 - 18 of 18 Posts