Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a 2003 Duramax that starts hard. Cranks longer than it should before it starts. I took it back to the dealer they said it was border line for the time it took to start. They checked a bunch of stuff and said there was nothing wrong and could not warranty the check so I had to pay $150.00 for nothing.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Please see forum "description" before posting a thread.This is the DRIVE TRAIN forum.

Moving to LB7 forum

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine did the same thing. The start times will get longer and longer over the next month or so.

Mine was worse when it was warm; cold it started like a champ. If the dealer checked them cold then they did not really 'see' the problem.

Take a recorder with you. It helped me with the dealer.

BTW, all 8 injectors were replaced on mine.

L8r

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem. It was hard to start and harder after it warmed up. It took the dealer 2 1/2 months to fix it. They ran a balance test and found #6 injector bleeding off. If you have less than 100,000 miles, it should be covered under warranty. The dealer here (Pascagoula, Ms)replaced every major fuel component before finally finding a bad injector. It runs great now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I my truck is back at the dealer for hard starting and now they are telling me that the fuel filter housing is bad. Of course its not covered by the engine warranty and they want $1,200 to fix it. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have had the exact same symptoms on my 2002. The first time this happened the problem was a bad battery on the drivers side, the second time it happened it was a bad connection at the same battery.
I have been amazed at how little *** takes to have a negetive effect on the Dmax electricals.

YMMV.

Keith

·
Registered
289 Posts
My 03 was in 3 times for the same issue.. after 2 miss diagnoses the changed all 8 injectors.. problem solved.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bad injectors will cause this also, the fuel pressure takes longer to get up to where it needs to be. Ask them to ramp up the fuel pressure to see if it will reach maximum at idle. Also, ask what the Fuel Rail Pressure Regulator Flow is at idle. Should be under 1200mm3, have seen them as high as 9000mm3 when there was an extended crank. I wouldn't think that the fuel filter housing would cause a long start. If it is sucking air, it would most likely be a no start or a very long crank before starting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update to this on going problem. My truck did start better but for only a day or two. Called the dealer and talked to the service manager he said to bring it back in and he is going to change all 8 injectors. I hope this will fix this problem.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Well I my truck is back at the dealer for hard starting and now they are telling me that the fuel filter housing is bad. Of course its not covered by the engine warranty and they want $1,200 to fix it. Anyone else have this problem?
My fuel filter housing was covered under warranty at 81,000. Anybody else comment on the fuel filter housing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 03 did the same thing! All 8 injectors replaced. No more issues.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Update to this on going problem. My truck did start better but for only a day or two. Called the dealer and talked to the service manager he said to bring it back in and he is going to change all 8 injectors. I hope this will fix this problem.
Did they make you drop the 1200 on a filter housing? If so get your friggin money back, look through your warranty book that came with your truck, Im sure its covered in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats cheap

Sorry to hear you had problems. I have had the same. Nothing but problems with my 2003 GMC sierra. The cold start sensor has been repaced 3 times. Glow Plug Module too. P540 is the code that keeps coming back. I would have them replace the Part and see what happens. I have had 2 motors replaced, over 20,000 dollars in repairs on my truck. The check engine light is still on. Good luck to you
Anyone else have a 2003 Duramax that starts hard. Cranks longer than it should before it starts. I took it back to the dealer they said it was border line for the time it took to start. They checked a bunch of stuff and said there was nothing wrong and could not warranty the check so I had to pay $150.00 for nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I did not have to pay for the fuel filter housing. So i'm hoping that the injectors will fix the problem. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That’s not good news, while running around this weekend I noticed that my truck is starting to crank longer before it starts when its hot that when its cold. But I haven’t noticed any smoking or the other typical bad injector issues. Guess I should go get my free fuel filter so it documented that I have the recall done, so if there are any injector problems they don’t through that in my face…

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the dealer replaced all 8 injectors and the problem seems to be fixed. They did it under warranty. So we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Weak batteries will also cause a little longer start time. Sounds like the dealer that wanted near $550 labor to replace the filter head is related to Jesse James. I have some photos in my garage of the filter head. Anything wrong in there can be easily seen after an easy disassemble. Later! Frank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts