Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my fuel flow computer shows approx 10% more diesel consumption than I realize at the pump - usually about 2 gallons off. Has anyone else experienced this? Also....how many gallons should I count on when the low fuel light comes on? Thanks in advance for the response.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Amberjack,

I see you have a short bed. If it's like mine you have around 2 (two) gallons left when the light comes on. That's not much. One time in Kansas I was foolish to run all my tanks dry, pull into a station that had its pumps out of service right when the light came on. Had to tow another 14 miles to the next exit with a lot of 'pucker factor'. Added 26.0 gallons to the main tank. I think it might hold just a tiny bit more than that but ????

Don't have a fuel computer so don't know about that.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My DIC has been dead nuts every time. Er, it reads correct. Most it's been off is 1/10 gallon on a 250 mile trip. I always reset the computer every time, so it doesn't get confused. What I'm saying is, what I put in at the pump is what the DIC says I used. Likewise, when I calculate MPG, it is also right on the money. 18.5-19 all the time, with just over 4k. I expect to beat 20 by 10k.

Ty

·
Registered
369 Posts
tysmith said:
My DIC has been dead nuts every time. Er, it reads correct. Most it's been off is 1/10 gallon on a 250 mile trip. I always reset the computer every time, so it doesn't get confused. What I'm saying is, what I put in at the pump is what the DIC says I used. Likewise, when I calculate MPG, it is also right on the money. 18.5-19 all the time, with just over 4k. I expect to beat 20 by 10k.

Ty

???? i have a '03 GMC SLE i have not seen any fuel milage thing on the DIC? was this an option on SLE's to have this feature?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine has always been a bit optimistic. Reads 10-20% better than actuals! I don't even bother looking at it since I installed the Juice. I use receipts and a log book.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My "Gallons Used" is usually within +/- a few tenths of a gallon. Depends on how much I stuffed into the previous tank (foam, etc).

Now with bigger tires I'll have to compensate for the mpg reading since the odometer will be off. Gallons used should still be accurate though.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My DIC was within +-0.10 gallons until I installed the Superchip. Now it reads 27 mpg when its actually 17.5 mpg!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mine DIC seems to show about 2/10's to 4/10's of a mile per gallon better than what the calculator figures it out at. I've seen it off by as much as a mile per gallon when towing the travel trailer, only then it the other way in that the actual MPG with the calculator is better than what the DIC shows.

It takes a lot of patience to wait for the foam to settle to get a completely full tank. Usually about 1 to 1.5 gallons after the pump first shuts off to bring it to the top of the filler neck.

Eric

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually that was some incorect info....truck is drinking more diesel than the computer shows.....usually reads 22 gallons burned and the pump shows 24.5. Can this be adjusted at the dealership?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
GSXR1216-

I don't know if it was an option or not. I do have the SWAC's, so maybe that's the reason. If you don't have the SWAC's, I don't know how you'd be able to scroll through all of the DIC options.

Ty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts