Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added any aftermarket lighting, driving or fog lights to their GM truck?
I'm thinking about fitting smaller lights into the area circled in the attached pic on my Chevy.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'd think twice about blocking those slots, they're there for air flow to the radiator and other coolers back there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bill;

Camstyn is probably right, although I think the lower square holes are more important for the Diesel. I have PIAA fogs and driving lights that I used to have mounted on my 99 Suburban w/ RanshHand bumper. I have not yet mounted them yet as I don't have a good hookup.

I highly recommend the PIAA. They are pricey but well worth the extra as they tend to blow the socks off of the others, at least when iit comes to halogen. HID is another area whick I have not come up with the $$ to play with. If anyone has a good mounting strategy for lights I'd like to hear about it.

Zeke

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for the advice. I didn't think about that area needed for airflow ... just figured the main grille area was adequate.

A friend with a GMC truck & factory fogs tore his loose while 4wheelin' and said his were pretty cheazily mounted plus being mounted low in the airdam.

Although I don't plan on doing the type of 4wheelin' that he does, I figured that since mine didn't come with fogs, I thought I'd take a hint from Dodge & Ford and mount 'em higher and surrounded by some bumper protection ... hence the thought of utilizing the area I circled (GMC grille/bumper area is different which is why I only have Chevy in subject line, but their application would be similar).

Guess I'll keep searchin' ... trying to avoid spending the <font size="4"> <font color="green"> $$$ </font> </font> for a grille guard just to mount lights on.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts