Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a few posts here warning about fuel additives so I thought I would tell you all a story about a customers DMax that I am working on.

I work for GM and have been working on a customers truck this last week. He had added a bottle of additive to try to correct for a hard start problem that has been occuring since almost new. He was on a trip last weekend and had a no-start problem aways away from home so he took it to the nearest dealer. They tested his fuel and found alchohol in it.

That dealer then contacted GM Tech Line for further addvise and once they were told about the alchohol they voided the guys warranty. Right then and there via phone!

Well, the guy had his truck towed back to us and we had one hell of a time getting GM to lift the void on his warranty. The only reason it did get lifted is because the service manager assured the regional advisor that this problem had been pre existing long before the customer used the additive.

So just a heads up on the additives. Dealers do have the equipment to test for impurities in the fuel, and they will test for it. If impurities are found, there is a very good chance that it will void your warranty.

Don't let a $4 bottle of additive void the warranty on your $40,000 truck!

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i wonder what he used.. i know primrose has no alcohol in it..

·
Registered
540 Posts
What can the test for??? I bet it's easy to test for alcohol but I'm not sure they can easily test for other additives, at least at the dealer level.

There are places that actually sell Premium Diesel with additives in it. You mean GM would void my warranty if I bought Premium Diesel at a station that had it already mixed??

I'm betting this guy went in and admitted to adding something too. Then the dealer looked for an out and blamed the additive.

·
Registered
490 Posts
WHERE do they test the fuel? Out of the tank? After the OEM filter?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Pick said:
WHERE do they test the fuel? Out of the tank? After the OEM filter?

Why would that matter. They are testing for additives not purity.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Problem is, some guys like to pick up a bottle of PowerService 911 or FPPF Melt Down and use that! Regular use of a quality additive should NOT affect the warranty. If this were the case, everyone across the upper Midwest would have no warranty as MOST diesel fuel when winterized gets some form (no alcohol) of additive...

Additionally, I'd be skeptical of the dealer having the ability to test diesel fuel for alcohol. Most can't even retain the magnet in the Allison spin on!

Sounds more like the dealer did not want to work on the diesel...

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
When the service writer asked ever use additives ?? What's an additives would be my response ....?? Volunteering info is NEVER a good idea ...
When dealing with Unknown Service people give specific info on problem allow them to get to a conclusion .... If they fail, get closer to the actual person performing repairs, offer only mer suggestions of resolve that your aware of....
The more corporative you are, the reciprocation will be there I have found ...
Again volunteering info on questionable things is never good ... Play dumb, sometimes it pays off ... So many people get themselves into trouble by speaking first in these incidents ....

Mac

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kennedy said:
Problem is, some guys like to pick up a bottle of PowerService 911 or FPPF Melt Down and use that! Regular use of a quality additive should NOT affect the warranty. If this were the case, everyone across the upper Midwest would have no warranty as MOST diesel fuel when winterized gets some form (no alcohol) of additive...

How right you are! Use the right product, don't experiment mixing different concoctions and use the specified quantity.

Too often you read posts where certain people are trying crazy things.

Many times the car/truck manufactures realize that some times the do-it-yourselfer gets carried away, so they play it safe and say nothing is recommended or make it that the do-it-yourselfer cannot not do it. Example lubed for life differentials and front end parts.

I guess the best thing to do if you want to do it yourself is be knowledgeable. Tips from certain regulars on this forum like John K, Mac, George and some others help a lot to making an informed choice
. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mackin said:
.... If they fail, get closer to the actual person performing repairs, offer only mer suggestions of resolve that your aware of....
The more corporative you are, the reciprocation will be there I have found ...

Mac

Social engineering ??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is the regular PowerService additive ok for the max's? I just started using the PS additive yesterday, I've only run it in one tank and I've mixed it to specs on the bottle, should I stop and use something else?

·
Registered
391 Posts
kennedy,

I will have to keep an eye out for the filter rust, will change b4 10k though. maybe he runs lousy fuel,my fuel comes from truck stops and is more apt to be fresh (imho).
Edited by: mpl897

·
Registered
165 Posts
1fatcat,

Your post caused a lot of comment. Thanks for offering it. You're on the line and it did indeed happen to your client.

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
1fatcat,

Thanks for the Heads-up........Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FirstDiesel said:
What can the test for??? I bet it's easy to test for alcohol but I'm not sure they can easily test for other additives, at least at the dealer level.

There are places that actually sell Premium Diesel with additives in it. You mean GM would void my warranty if I bought Premium Diesel at a station that had it already mixed??

I'm betting this guy went in and admitted to adding something too. Then the dealer looked for an out and blamed the additive.

I should have been more specific with this, sorry. Dealers have the ability to test for alchohol and water on location, not other additives. It is infact the alchohol that GM does not want to find in the diesel fuel, as they state that alchohol is naturally corrosive to metal fuel system components, rubber and plastic hoses and rubber seals.

They don't want to find water either, but I doubt they would void the warranty if they did. It is the water seperators job to take care of water in the system, so GM knows that this will happen and they are not concerned with it from a warranty view point.

I never asked the customer if he addmited to the other dealer about the additive, or if they found it from testing? But it does seem most plausable that he addmitted to adding it and they then used it as an excuse not to work on his truck.

But however it happened is not realy the main point here. The main point is that GM will not loose any sleep at night if they want to void your warranty because of alchohol in the fuel. They will void your warranty within minutes and without a "second chance"

This customer was lucky enough to get a second chance and his warranty reinstated because we faught for him. Other dealerships may not have been so willing to help him.

I do not know what additive brand he had used.

·
Registered
430 Posts
1fatcat...what dealer are you with? I've not had any problems with my DMAX yet, but would sure like to know of a good dealer such as yours if I do have any issues.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So,1Fatcat,

What additive would you suggest using?

I am still trying to figure this all out.

And it is getting cold around here now.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I would like to know how ANY dealer out there can detect alcohol in the fuel.. I deal with all of the special tools and test equipment at out dealer and I have never found any thing that will test for alcohol in fuel. I would also like to know how Tech Assist has any power at all to void a warrenty... They have no power what so ever! Ever tried to get your GM rep to pay you more diagnostic time on a test that " tech assist told me to do it" ??? Its not gonna happen. They only thing they can do is make recommendations, Your rep or similer is the only person who can void or block warrenty. Its good to see 1FATCATS dealer was able to assist this guy out of a situation he should have never been in in the first place...Guys, remember also that additive is used as preventive maint, not a snake oil...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts