Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2002 duramax regular cab that has rust on the rockers and one of the fab corners is gone. There is some rust in the on the undercarriage. It has 218k miles with new injectors. Fluids and trans fluid looked good and motor had no blow by. It seems to run well and doesn’t smoke/haze at all. i have him at 6k what do you guys think?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
183 Posts
When you say it doesn't smoke or haze did you verify engine was cold w/ no block heater plugged in?

I would want to see receipts for injectors. Why are they selling after injectors were just done?

Make sure the check engine light is illuminated when the ignition is first turned to the on position.

Plug a scan tool in to check for codes.

Honestly the truck looks pretty rough and I would assume routine maintenance was not completed regularly based on the outward appearance. I am not sure how familiar you are with diesels but parts can be expensive.....

Check out this thread where legendman ended up rebuilding the whole truck pretty much.

Google - duramax buying guide, a lot of good info.

Good luck!

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say it doesn't smoke or haze did you verify engine was cold w/ no block heater plugged in?

I would want to see receipts for injectors. Why are they selling after injectors were just done?

Make sure the check engine light is illuminated when the ignition is first turned to the on position.

Plug a scan tool in to check for codes.

Honestly the truck looks pretty rough and I would assume routine maintenance was not completed regularly based on the outward appearance. I am not sure how familiar you are with diesels but parts can be expensive.....

Check out this thread where legendman ended up rebuilding the whole truck pretty much.

Google - duramax buying guide, a lot of good info.

Good luck!
Well I made sure it was cold and hadn’t been started and I stopped in unannounced and he said it hadn’t been started in a month. It started up right away no smoke or haze. The body is rough but the only reason I was thinking about buying is because it has no blow buy at all and mechanically it seems to run without skipping a beat so I thought if I didn’t have to put any money into drivetrain, then I could fix up some of the rust myself. Am I just fooling myself, I’ve been looking for a regular cab like this for a while as they seem to be hard to find

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Well I made sure it was cold and hadn’t been started and I stopped in unannounced and he said it hadn’t been started in a month. It started up right away no smoke or haze. The body is rough but the only reason I was thinking about buying is because it has no blow buy at all and mechanically it seems to run without skipping a beat so I thought if I didn’t have to put any money into drivetrain, then I could fix up some of the rust myself. Am I just fooling myself, I’ve been looking for a regular cab like this for a while as they seem to be hard to find
if it runs and drives good and you are confident in your bodywork skills then I would throw them an offer and see if they bite on it
(y)

·
Registered
183 Posts
if it runs and drives good and you are confident in your bodywork skills then I would throw them an offer and see if they bite on it
(y)
X 2 - No Blow by is a good thing. The previous owners must have changed the oil. My LBZ has 260,000 miles on it and it has no blow by either so I get it. If you are comfortable with the work needed and it’s what you want then go for it! $6,000 for a Duramax isn’t bad at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X 2 - No Blow by is a good thing. The previous owners must have changed the oil. My LBZ has 260,000 miles on it and it has no blow by either so I get it. If you are comfortable with the work needed and it’s what you want then go for it! $6,000 for a Duramax isn’t bad at all.
I thought the same, the only thing that scared me was the rust. The frame has rusted bolts and rust all over it, it’s not rusted through or anything like that but I can tell it would be a bit of a mess to try to clean up the frame and I don’t know what other problems this can cause. I just wanted some opinions if it’s worth it for 6k. I have a couple picks
Plant Automotive tire Grass Wood Sculpture
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
I thought the same, the only thing that scared me was the rust. The frame has rusted bolts and rust all over it, it’s not rusted through or anything like that but I can tell it would be a bit of a mess to try to clean up the frame and I don’t know what other problems this can cause. I just wanted some opinions if it’s worth it for 6k. I have a couple picks
View attachment 646317 View attachment 646318
Do a complete tear down. Super soak all the bolts/nuts in Kroil Penetrant to help take things off,. Then clean and treat the frame with POR-15
This will give you a solid base to work from

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’ve lived on the West Coast my whole life so I’ve never dealt with rust like that. It looks like it ate a hole just below the left most bolt on the 2’nd picture. If it was me I would pass and just look for a truck with a clean frame, but again I’m from the west coast. I would rather pay a few thousand more vs the amount of work / time that would take.

Bring this up and get them lower.

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax
69 Posts
I’ve lived on the West Coast my whole life so I’ve never dealt with rust like that. It looks like it ate a hole just below the left most bolt on the 2’nd picture. If it was me I would pass and just look for a truck with a clean frame, but again I’m from the west coast. I would rather pay a few thousand more vs the amount of work / time that would take.

Bring this up and get them lower.
I agree with DieselMcgee I have lived on the east coast most of my life and I wouldn’t buy anything that has rust on it. You can find a better truck if you take the time. Vehicles are expensive right now anyway.

If you can wait a little while our current administration is probably going to crash the economy and you will get a better deal at that time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with DieselMcgee I have lived on the east coast most of my life and I wouldn’t buy anything that has rust on it. You can find a better truck if you take the time. Vehicles are expensive right now anyway.

If you can wait a little while our current administration is probably going to crash the economy and you will get a better deal at that time.
Yeah who know's what is going to happen in the next few years. I ordered headers, up-pipes, Y-bridge and boost tube from ProFab a week ago for my LBZ and part of me is wondering if I should even go through with it with the political climate and the war against the internal combustion engine. Will I even be able to afford to drive the truck in 5 - 10 years?

With states banning new sales of internal combustion engine vehicles by year 20xx and Chevrolet stating they are moving to sell strictly emission free vehicles by 2035 who knows what is going to happen. Even if gasoline vehicles get phased out I think Diesel will still have a place. How much it will cost per gallon though will be the real question.

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax
69 Posts
I bought the diesel truck that I have now because I am thinking that diesel will be the last fuel to be phased out because it will be needed to get items to the stores. It’s anyone’s guess what the price will be in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts