Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys so I picked up an 02 2500hd dirt cheap. It is currently a 6.0 gasser but I want to drop in a Duramax and am assuming easiest swap would be the LB7. Anyone know exactly what is needed other than the engine? I am assuming best bet is to buy a rolled LB7. Also any links to resources for the swap would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,677 Posts

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Complete drivetrain, all underhood electronics, harnesses and fuse block, radiator/IC/shroud, diesel throttle pedal/harness, cluster, etc. Basically everything.

It is possible to swap an LLY, but that entails more work and tuning. Russ @ RPM Motorsports in Los Banos, CA has done a lot of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks guys! Definitely seems like a challenging swap and probably cheaper and easier to just buy a Dmax truck but still may go for it anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Complete drivetrain, all underhood electronics, harnesses and fuse block, radiator/IC/shroud, diesel throttle pedal/harness, cluster, etc. Basically everything.

It is possible to swap an LLY, but that entails more work and tuning. Russ @ RPM Motorsports in Los Banos, CA has done a lot of them.
Happen to know what hurdles I will face with my 4x4 as my truck currently has the floor shift?

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Dont remember if the gassers used the 261 tcase or not. If not, hopefully your donor has a manual tcase. Shift lever should be the same.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Gas and diesel use different transfer cases. 2500HD gas would have the NP261HD, diesel would have the NP261XHD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gas and diesel use different transfer cases. 2500HD gas would have the NP261HD, diesel would have the NP261XHD.
So its not possible to interchange them? How hard is it to go from a manual to a push button 4x4 if i have a donor truck? Just trying to prepare myself mentally

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The xhd version at least has a bunch of different, heavier duty parts inside (at least a wider chain and stronger shafts with different spline count).

Note, this is based off my knowledge of the 6.0l/4l80e gas setup. The 8.1l gas w allison may get the xhd transfer case.

You basically want to transfer the whole drivetrain over if the truck is starting with the 6.0l/4l80e, as everything is stronger/different (the front diff is the same size, but will be a 4.10 instead of a 3.73 that diesels get). You might not need to do everything if you start with a 8.1/allison truck, but I don't know how much is the same.

As for the push-button setup, I just briefly looked into it when I upgraded my truck to 4wd, and I believe it requires some computer firmware support to function. I stuck with a manual setup (which still needs some computer firmware support to get the 4wd light to work without hacking up the IP).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The xhd version at least has a bunch of different, heavier duty parts inside (at least a wider chain and stronger shafts with different spline count).

Note, this is based off my knowledge of the 6.0l/4l80e gas setup. The 8.1l gas w allison may get the xhd transfer case.

You basically want to transfer the whole drivetrain over if the truck is starting with the 6.0l/4l80e, as everything is stronger/different (the front diff is the same size, but will be a 4.10 instead of a 3.73 that diesels get). You might not need to do everything if you start with a 8.1/allison truck, but I don't know how much is the same.

As for the push-button setup, I just briefly looked into it when I upgraded my truck to 4wd, and I believe it requires some computer firmware support to function. I stuck with a manual setup (which still needs some computer firmware support to get the 4wd light to work without hacking up the IP).
Ok thanks for the info. I would rather stick with a floor shift if possible but did any of the Dmax come that way?

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Yes, many did.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The TC's with "261" are the manual ones, and the ones with "263" are the electric shift ones (there are multiple versions of each, of varying strength based on the application).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts