Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stranded:2001 Chevy 3500 Duramax won't crank when turning key but doors unlock?

Hello All,
I am once again stranded by my 2001 Chevy Duramax "StrandOmatic" 4x4.

Day before yesterday the backup switch freaked out for the second time and put me in limp mode on the side of a mountain in a blizzard.

It then proceeded to refuse to go into gear at all after stopping so I remembered reading about doing a reset on an Allison transmission by disconnecting the batteries.

I did that and the truck dropped into "Limp Mode" but I managed to get where I was going.

I got home plugged in the truck and went to bed.

The next morning I go out to start the truck and it started right up and the gear selector even showed that it was actually indicating P for Park unlike the day before when the Backup Switch nsbu was freaking out.

Then I let the truck warm up for 5 minutes and then I heard a sound like the starter was trying to engage with the truck running!!I have no aftermarket crap on this truck,it's bone stock,no remote start,no ECM mods,nothing.

I hopped over there to turn it off but the truck stalled out on it's own.I proceeded to try another reset(worked last time)but to no avail,I started going through the electircal wires and then the fuses and sure enough a burned out 40amp fuse in the junction box.

I pulled the "stud" 40amp fuse from it's position and stuck it in place of the burned up starter fuse.

The truck started right up!!

I decided not to temp fate and went to turn the turn the truck off again and that starter noise decided to go again and ended up burining up another fuse.

Well I thought it might be a problem with the starter getting arced over by melting ice/snow and that the best thing to do would be to put a heater in the engine compartment and try to thaw and dry stuff out.

I did that and then hitchhiked in the snow into town to the NAPA and bought 9 of those 40amp fuses and thought that I would limp this sucker into town even if I had to use all 9 fuses just to get here;)

I got back to the truck by hitchhiking another ride and thought "finally I'll be able to get this bastard thing into the shop and get handed another $1000 bill"(that's what this thing seems to costs me everytime I take it to any shop).

I installed my fuses and was all hot to restart it and get the hell back to civilization and when I turned the key,NOTHING.The security light blinks,the battery light comes on when I turn the key to start but no cranking at all.Just the door locks trying to unlock wherever I turn the ignition key.

The lights work,the radio works,the remote door locks work but it won't crank.If I leave the key turned to the prestart position it makes some weird noises coming from the hood/dash direction but no start.

I tried the 8 times then leave it for a while and then try to start it again trick with no luck.

This is the 16th time this truck has left me stranded since I bought it and I am so sick of it I could just puke.

Can any of you guys tell me how to trick this thing into starting?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sounds like it might be a body control module issue, or a security issue. Something electrical has gone big time haywire. It might even be the ignition switch.(key assembly) I do not know....maybe call a priest over to your house for an exorcism. Funky stuff. Sounds like a dealer issue. I feel for ya Ive owned my truck since new 4.5 yrs old 106K hasnt let me down one single time.16 times of failing on me I would have driven it off a cliff
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it might be a body control module issue, or a security issue. Something electrical has gone big time haywire. It might even be the ignition switch.(key assembly) I do not know....maybe call a priest over to your house for an exorcism. Funky stuff. Sounds like a dealer issue. I feel for ya Ive owned my truck since new 4.5 yrs old 106K hasnt let me down one single time.16 times of failing on me I would have driven it off a cliff
Bill
Thank you sir,
I dreamed of being able to hotrod this thing once it was paid off but it has been sucking me dry since 95,000 miles.

The engine and tranny are well maintained and Injectors,NSBU and Starters are the only driveline hard parts that have given me any trouble.

Everything else has been some kind of electronic nightmare or weird computer glitch.

I don't make a lot of money anymore and this thing costs me more money than any vehicle I have ever owned.

I had a GM 1984 M1008 CUCV pickup and a Ford 1994 F350 that didn't give me this much trouble in hundreds of thousands of miles combined!!

Hey,that's an idea!I wonder if anyone on here would trade me the engine and tranny out of this thing for a couple of old CUCVs?:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts