Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 8.1
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rear pinion seal just started leaking probably this morning cause I didn’t notice it yesterday. Truck is an 01 2500 8.1 3.73 gear and 170k miles on it I bought it in may of this year from the original owner. I love this truck it tows my 29’ fifth wheel no problem it’s a daily for me right now 30 miles a day. Any who I’m starting this thread to ask if I should replace the pinion seal myself or have a pro do it? I’m in Cali and I’ve a called dealership and they said it would be about 600+ to replace ?! Seems high for a pinion seal IMO. Just want some opinions or advice thanks in advance 🍻🇺🇸

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wanted to say how jealous I am.

I want to pull 14K or so so I guess need 3500+, thinking forestry or cherry picker

but man 8.1s are thin on the ground.

Any suggestions let me know willing to travel.

·
Registered
2005 2500hd 4x4 stock
62 Posts
I did mine myself last year, no hard just make sure you have a high rated impact gun or a torque multiplier. Mark the nut when you take it off. There are write ups you can go by, that’s what I did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on I’ll check it out, am I able to replace the bearing as well in the process ? I figure If I pull it out might as well replace what I can in the process ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to say how jealous I am.

I want to pull 14K or so so I guess need 3500+, thinking forestry or cherry picker

but man 8.1s are thin on the ground.

Any suggestions let me know willing to travel.
Not gonna lie I love the 8.1 Allison combo, Allison is a little loud in lower gears without the diesel but it’s awesome... I get about 6 mpg towing though haha

·
Registered
2005 2500hd 4x4 stock
62 Posts
Right on I’ll check it out, am I able to replace the bearing as well in the process ? I figure If I pull it out might as well replace what I can in the process ?
Darn if I know I just did the seal, guessing if you did the bearing then you need to reset pinion lash and more. I’m by far NOT a rear end expert, only rear end I’ve ever rebuilt was the one in my willys jeep and I did that 10 years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya, im pretty sure it’s just the seal (170k miles) I’m down to tackle it, last pinion I replaced was on my Ford ranger and that rear end was an 1/8th the size of this one

·
Registered
71 Posts
.... am I able to replace the bearing as well in the process ? I figure If I pull it out might as well replace what I can in the process ?
You don't want to fool with the bearing unless you plan to reset the pinion and crush sleeve. As mentioned earlier, mark the nut with whiteout or similar, count the turns when removing the nut and when doing the assembly, install the nut to the exact same point plus a 1/16th to an 1/8th so you don't affect the crush sleeve and your pinion setting. Use blue Loctite on oil free threads for the nut. Think the nut is a 36mm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on thanks for the input, I’ve been looking at it every day and it seems like it stopped or isn’t leaking as much, I messed with the breather tube a little bit but haven’t removed it to clean it out, I’m towing my fifth wheel this weekend so we’ll see how the leak does

1 - 11 of 11 Posts