Diesel Place banner
401 - 418 of 418 Posts

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Sometimes getting more air out is as important as getting more air in. On my truck I added a flexible air dam in-line with my core support to create a little high pressure in front and a little low pressure behind my stack.
with the body lift and hood scoop I have to beleive I've improved that low pressure situation inside the engine bay

· Registered
5,177 Posts
I went back and looked at pics of the GMC grill and you (and Joey) are right, the GMC grill doesn't have that large band where the chrome strip comes across, that probably is a pretty serious air blockage on the chevy version...I may put that on the list, IDC what emblem I'm running on the front!
How about cutting out the Chevy emblem like GM did on the Camaro, they called it the flo-tie.
I’d start with the bumper, cut out each side of the license plate like the old C/K 6.5 diesel trucks.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 · (Edited)
Added two 4" polished stainless vents to the front of the bumper...just fyi...4.25" hole sawing your bumper is not a 5 minute job..:nope:

Also decided to stick with the DCC controller (with some other relay controls to split the fans up if I want to) and put it in the airflow like Brian told me to do in the first place :facepalm:

Derale pusher will go on next.

Attachments

· Registered
5,177 Posts
Added two 4" polished stainless vents to the front of the bumper...just fyi...4.25" hole sawing your bumper is not a 5 minute job..:nope:

Also decided to stick with the DCC controller (with some other relay controls to split the fans up if I want to) and put it in the airflow like Brian told me to do in the first place :facepalm:

Derale pusher will go on next.
I’d drive it like that in traffic and see how it performs, just to rule out your grill.

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
I’d drive it like that in traffic and see how it performs, just to rule out your grill.
there's no way to duplicate those grades and temps around here(and that was the only cases where I saw anything approaching higher temps), I have to work hard to get it to 190dgs around here and I never really use a/c ... it's the burden of life in San Diego :D

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
I'm actually going to be adding some openings in the chrome band on the grill before it goes on so I think that whatever combination of issues I will have more than corrected for them.

The new fan set up will run one of the taurus fans and the pusher on the DCC controller(automatically), this will be 95% of the time, the single taurus is more than enough for day to day driving to keep the engine cool, and the pusher will give that airflow over the condenser coil to make the a/c work a little better at low speeds, the DCC controller has an input for a/c signal so anytime it's on both the single taurus fan and pusher will run at 50% (minimum).

I already had a dash mounted fan control switch so I've got that wired up so that when it's on it turns power off to the DCC controller and turns on two 75amp bosch relays that will power all three fans at 100%, I'll use this in that 5% of the time that it's hot and I'm heavily loaded/towing.

Should be a busy weekend upcoming, I got the new Tucson 250amp alternator, 17" Derale fan and power steering cooler, new hydroboost/master cylinder in so I have plenty to do..

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 · (Edited)
Speaking of PS coolers, the 96-02 vans came stock with what seems to be a more capable cooler. And I will soon find out if it fits the same way on my 2016.
I almost bought that one but wasn't sure if the upper mount would work on the newer core support, this Derale unit Amazon.com: Derale 13221 Frame Rail Fluid Cooler: Automotive will be an easy install and wasn't much money.

I may still buy it anyway and see how it fits, they are both easy sellers to return too..

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Pusher fan installed and tested, also did some cut outs on the chrome grill trim, I decided to keep it subtle, I don't want it to look cheesy. I pulled the grill back off just to get it out of the way while I replace the hydroboost/MC and alternator...and power steering cooler too I guess..

Attachments

· Registered
3,897 Posts
I never paid any attention till now but that billet grill looks like in the pics it is blocking a lot of air flow. Is that the inserts that install over the original plastic grill ?

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
I never paid any attention till now but that billet grill looks like in the pics it is blocking a lot of air flow. Is that the inserts that install over the original plastic grill ?
I cut out all the existing grill material behind it, there's just enough for it to attach to.

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 · (Edited)
Put a pretty good dent in my to-do list; new hydroboost and mastercylinder installed, also installed a new power steering pump (old one worked fine but had a squeak when cold that was driving me crazy), also got the new high output alternator installed (test sheet pictured). I decided to order the factory style PS cooler that Art mentioned, after looking at it again I think it'll fit fine, should be here mid week. Knocked out an oil change and with having the radiator hoses off installed a new coolant filter and fresh coolant.
Still need to bleed the brakes (tech2 will do that), and bleed in the PS when I get the new cooler installed. Also need to install the new front shocks (went with the adjustable rancho 9000's since I'm still not completely sure on how much more dampening I need).

Attachments

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·

factory power steering cooler from the earlier models that Art mentioned is a bolt in part, I cut the return hose and added some AN fittings so that I have an easy way to drain/flush but that was just my preference. I'll just return the derale cooler I bought.

Attachments

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Got a chance to log a few miles on it this past weekend, the new fan control set up works really well and keeps the temp around 180 most of the time. I kicked on the override switch and it of course pulls it down even further. The new alternator holds the voltage rock solid at 14.9vdc even with all three fans on high, headlights on and ac on / blower on high so I think it will do the job.

· Registered
307 Posts
Well all I can say is excellent job here, i am green with envy on this.
I am sure this beats the hell out of a Sportsmobile camper van!

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Well all I can say is excellent job here, i am green with envy on this.
I am sure this beats the hell out of a Sportsmobile camper van!
Yeah, I searched for awhile to see if there was something out there that was close to what I wanted and reasonably close to what I could make myself pay...there wasn't. The mediocre quality of most of the campervan/upfitters also was a detractor, if I could have found a 2011-2016 duramax van that already had a quigley/advanced 4x4 conversion I would have settled for the 6L90e trans but I only found one of those and it was priced 10k higher than my entire budget (and it had no hightop or camper build out). It was a load of work, but, I'm really happy with the finished(-ish) product.

· Registered
2020 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison, LT, Crew Cab, SRW, Std. Bed, Z71, 4WD,
2,431 Posts
Good thing your labor was free! 😁

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
Hydraulic ram-assist steering installed, makes the setting still, at idle, in 4x4, lock to lock turns possible, I couldn't get a full left turn (in those conditions) before..

Attachments

401 - 418 of 418 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.