Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. The following engine is for sale close to me & I am wondering if it is worth looking into. Any comments if it is worth it or not? The seller want $2000 US.

I can't hear it run & don't really know what to look for if I do see it. Any suggestions? BTW, I don't need an engine, just maybe for future parts or if my Duramax gives me trouble in the future.

As per the seller: "This 6.6 duramax Diesel engine came from a 2001 gmc, this engine has 40,000km (25,000mi) on it, it comes complete with fly wheel and starter, this motor has light fire damage, burnt wires, easy to fix & comes with turbo as its a complete engine."

As per the seller: "All the engine needs is cleaning. The wiring & 1-side cover alt bracket is melted abit, not alot. I bought this engine from a friend of mine which owns a wrecker. The truck caught fire inside and burn thru to the engine. I bought it to put into a 94 that has a 6.5 turbo that blew a bearing. I found the swap wont work and thats why it is for sale."

So is it worth my time to go look at this engine for this price? If so what should I look for due to it being fire damaged? Any suggestions would be helpful..........

Edited by: KevTech

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i don't know how many fire-damaged duramax engines there are out there, but i saw one for sale on ebay a while ago. the picture makes me think its the same one. same description. too bad i don't remember the location.

personally i wouldn't buy it but i have no where to put it. it sounds like there are several unknowns that need to be addressed about its condition. i don't like the burnt part

·
Registered
218 Posts
Real bad things can happen to a motor when it's in a fire. Things can warp and twist. I had a Jap bike eng. that looked fine, when we started pulling it apart it showed warpage everywhere...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kevtech,

Pursuant to your solicitation about this fire sale engine
, I would advise you to forget it. However if your desire is to pay $2000 or more for a short block then it would be okay. I would assume from the exhibit of the engine that everything above the short block is toast. I would also advise that you ask the seller whether or not the engine was running while the fire was in the engine compartment. If the engine was running, forget the deal and put the $2000 in a mutual fund or money market account for coverage of anything that may go south on your current powerplant.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wouldn't touch it, even if it were free! Too many unknowns.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have to agree Kev- save the money - it's easier to store- and you know what you've got. In the picture that engine didn't look too hot ( pardon the pun) to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts