Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so getting ready for a 6K trip. Had her serviced & right out of the gate I get "clean exhaust filter" message. Took care of that with no problem. But now when she's cold (startup) I'm getting "engine power reduced". Scan says MASS air flow fault. I replaced it with AC DELCO. Still getting code after she sits & cools down. After a mile or 2 (maybe 5) she gets up to speed & runs fine. Cleared the code several times & driven 40 to 70 miles with no message or problems but as soon as she sits for awhile & then started... message pops up & can't get over 30 mph until she "gets going".
So I just happened to open the air box & low & behold the new air filter wasn't seated PROPERLY. Just sitting in the tray. Not snugged into the receiver.

If the air filter isn't seated properly will this throw that reduced engine power message/code? That's my question. Sorry to be long winded but I'm suppose to leave tomorrow night. Thanks

ps...fuel filter show 99%.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's storming outside like you wouldn't believe right so I can't run out & double check that number. I'll try as quick as I can.

I would love to seat the filter properly then clear the codes & have a nice trip...ugh

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
YES, air filter not seated correctly will set a code and reduced power, way to much airflow the computer will not like that.
I have heard a few Dmax owners having trouble with NAPA airfilters not seating/fitting properly.
If it comes down to it you can correct the issue buy buying a AC-Delco OEM then return the NAPA filter telling them it’s not fitting properly.
If you had gauges something like the Edge Insight CTS/CTS2 you’d be able to monitor lots of stuff including MAF g/s.
Stock pretty much won’t allow much over 40 MAF g/s while idling, over that it’s trouble code time.
Yours was probably way over that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm going to seat the filter this morning then clear the code. See what happens. I hate to start on this 6K trip with issues. It's strange how this started IMMEDIATELY after servicing it.

At idle is when the code comes up. Once the truck warmed up & is driven 2 to 5 miles message went away & she powers up. Plenty of power. Stop & let her sit for awhile no problem but if she "cools completely down" then is restarted.... after about 60 seconds there it goes again.

Back to "engine reduced power" message.

Am I making sense?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If the air filter isn't seated properly will this throw that reduced engine power message/code? That's my question.
You have two things going on.
One "Reduced Engine Power"
Yes
There are hundreds of posts on "Reduced Engine Power" and P0101.most have todo with aftermarket filters or something with intake.

Two "Clean Exhaust Filter"
Loose filter or aftermarket filter has nothing todo with "Clean Exhaust Filter"
To take care of your "Clean Exhaust Filter" follow instructions in Owners Manual.
May have to goto a dealer, unless you have a tuner in the truck that can do a force regeneration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea as stated in my OP I took care of the "clean exhaust filter" right away. That was no problem. As for the 100's of post I think I read every one.

I seated the air filter "properly" this morning & for the 1st time in several days I did not get the "engine power reduced" message. I cleared the code after a 40 mile drive. Put 15 gallons of fresh fuel in & added 11 ounces of BG245.

Fingers are crossed but I think the air filter not being properly inserted was throwing the code. Rubbed heavy duty silicon around the edges & she popped right in started up & NO MESSAGES.

Lucky Again

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
BTW, anytime someone removes your airfilter wheither it’s stock or aftermarket always check to make sure it’s seated properly.
I haven’t had anyone put my airfilter back in correctly, even after I pointed out how a tech at GM failed to do before he put mine back in after installing my cold side pipe.
My filter was dirty so when I got back home I removed the lid to R&R, found it just setting in the box. This deserves a :wtf:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a Mass Air Flow sensor that was throwing the truck into limp mode. It is pry different since I have a C4500 and my airbox is not the same, but I fixed the issue by putting new wires into the MAF because one of them had wore through. Another thing I found that will immediately put the truck in Limp Mode is in my airbox there is an air director that has to be seated exactly right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts