Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: I bought 5 used International MXT OEM 20x9 aluminum wheels and I had them powder coated. I bought 5 new old stock Continental 335/80R20 MPT81s. Had them speed balanced on a Hunter HD and they ride very well. If I had not found these wheels, I would have probably bought 1st attact welded steel wheels. Although I would really want to avoid steel. Buckstop now has a new forged alloy wheel that they could maybe machine to our bolt pattern.

Thanks for your advice in advance. There are various short posts on this wheel topic over the past decade. The posts usually peter out or are pretty inconclusive. Maybe we can consolidate the info here.

For my 2005 C4500 4x4, I am looking to run some 335/80R20 Continental MPT81 or Pirelli Pista PS22's. Before I buy a set of 1st Attack Engineering steel 20"x11" ($435 each) does anyone have any other options? Super Single Wheels - 1st Attack Engineering

1.) Stazworks new 2 piece aluminum "MRAP" looks pretty good, $550 each. John is nice, but I am not very keen based on some other's experiences. Also quite expensive. See Facebook photos. He does not make single piece welded steel wheels anymore I think.
2.) Eastern Surplus Steel MRAP, $325. Really heavy. 16 Stud 8 Hole Wheel / Rim for MRAP RG 31 CAT I and MRAP JERRV
3.) Lav/Styrker MRAP. I think Cowpig has had some big issues.
4.) Buckstop steel single. They wont make any for Kodiak/Topkick.
5.) IHC MXT/Shocker alloys. I can't find any.
6.) Hutchinson. Besides the huge cost, do they even make a 8x275mm?
7.) If I don't do singles then, Rimco/A1 wheels has some great Alcoa "knockoffs" for killer deals. https://a1truckwheels.com/product/225368p/ Then a 295/75R22.5 or a 11R22.5 like a Toyo M650 would be great.
8.) Alcoa 22.5"x~14" super single. They don't make that anymore for 8x275mm. Cannot find any used

Thank you all, it has been really helpful reading through some posts on here.
Regards, Sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the steel ones from Eastern Surplus along with some used 395/85R20 MVTs for my 2008 4500. No complaints what so ever. Heavy? Yes, but hasn't been an issue for me. I'm getting 10.5 MPG with out any tuning mods and only running 30 psi for more traction (snowy winter conditions here).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
:thumb:

Reactions: trashcanturkey

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Stryker wheels Cowpig had issues with were the aluminum wheels. The steel wheels have no issues that I know of. I have ran them for several years on my 5500.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the stazworks aluminum wheel with Goodyear G275 335/80r20’s. (41.5”)
Good and bad.
Good
1 I love the wheels.
2 I love the look.
3 I love the lower RPM’s.
Bad
1 I feel like I lost a lot of my toque.
2 My fuel mileage went to s#%t. If i’m guess right because my Speedo is so far off 7-8mpg empty.
3 I don’t like how long it takes for it to shift into 6th gear. Unless I play with the throttle.
4 Most of all I don’t like the fact that the truck is far less stable with the rear singles. My trailer never bumped me side to side before but now it dose because of the wide walls. I started out with 50 psi now I’m up to the max 80 psi��.
5 With my soft ride front springs the truck is very bouncy now.
6 With out spending a lot of money I don’t have a spare.

So all that said.
Looking back on it I’m not a 100% sure what I would have done different, but more than likely I think I would have gone with a smaller tire and dules on the rear and a super single on the front.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you mitch, okdually, bigfkr, and 4x4c4500 for your responses. The steel 2-piece sounds great if you want that.

4x4c4500 thanks for your detailed experience with that Staz combo. Are they balanced okay? Interesting about your fuel economy and towing experience. I wonder if the same size MPT81 would be better for towing. I was set on 22.5's for a while, but couldn't find a tire that was aggressive enough in a size (common, affordable size) smaller than 40", but not too small. 255/70R22.5 just seems like it would ride like **** and the low profile looks bad. 295/75R22.5 or a 11R22.5 in a Toyo M650 would be great and last forever. Alternatively, a 285/70R19.5 Toyo M608z would be nice, but 6x of those and 6x new 7.5" wide wheels (I wish the stock wheels were 7.5") end up costing as much as this 20"+tire option. And they are still only 35". I wish that a 305/70R19.5 was more common and then get some cheap A1 7.5" wheels.

I ordered some 1st attack wheels last week, only downside is lead time is about 8 weeks. Jeff makes it sound like he can easily balance the 335/80R20 MPT81 on his wheels. Also working on a guy for some used MXT wheels (what shocker sold), but it doesn't seem to want to sell them.

Other random posts on this wheel topic:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...-duty-trucks/400312-kodiak-20-x-9-wheels.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...edium-duty-trucks/412133-super-singles-5.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...ks/814738-super-single-help-conversion-4.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...-5500-4x4-direct-bolt-rims-super-singles.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...8-looking-set-super-single-wheels-kodiak.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...rucks/937330-super-single-measurements-3.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...ty-trucks/274829-20-kodiak-custom-wheels.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good information so far, would like to join the conversation. I have a 2005 C5500 4X4 and from my investigations the MRAP 2 piece 20X10 aluminum look like a viable option...if I could find adapters to go to the 8X275 bolt pattern. Without going to the Staz option, can anyone offer experience or opinion about fitment, backspace (my measurements say they will work if the front adapter plates are ~1"). Am I missing something here? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd like to ad my experience. Been looking for 14's also for a long time. They made these with 0 offset and negative offset. I did locate 4 0 offset, but they won't work. I started researching 12.25x22.5 and not really liking how the front will be 2" wider than the rear when you mount them with the deep side in on the rear and the shollow side out on the front. But I was able to find 8 full sets of these. After mounting them up and installing them, I think they look awesome and with the Monroe box on the back, I don't think you can even notice the difference in tracking.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Clearence issues,Yes. On the front, I had to trim the fender on the back side of the tire and move the bumper out 2".

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did you buy all sets or can you point. E to where you got a set from thanks
No, I just bought 4 wheels. He says he has more of them Hagerman Truck Parts in Umatilla, OR

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to ad my experience. Been looking for 14's also for a long time. They made these with 0 offset and negative offset. I did locate 4 0 offset, but they won't work. I started researching 12.25x22.5 and not really liking how the front will be 2" wider than the rear when you mount them with the deep side in on the rear and the shollow side out on the front. But I was able to find 8 full sets of these. After mounting them up and installing them, I think they look awesome and with the Monroe box on the back, I don't think you can even notice the difference in tracking. View attachment 634549 View attachment 634550 View attachment 634551 View attachment 634552 View attachment 634553 View attachment 634554
I am looking for two of these rims to put on the front ony 5500. Any ideas where to get them? What brand are yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the steel ones from Eastern Surplus along with some used 395/85R20 MVTs for my 2008 4500. No complaints what so ever. Heavy? Yes, but hasn't been an issue for me. I'm getting 10.5 MPG with out any tuning mods and only running 30 psi for more traction (snowy winter conditions here).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey, I run those wheels from eastern surplus at 80# and they ride pretty stiff but my tire guy says the pressure helps complete the seal with that O ring, have you had any problems?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to ad my experience. Been looking for 14's also for a long time. They made these with 0 offset and negative offset. I did locate 4 0 offset, but they won't work. I started researching 12.25x22.5 and not really liking how the front will be 2" wider than the rear when you mount them with the deep side in on the rear and the shollow side out on the front. But I was able to find 8 full sets of these. After mounting them up and installing them, I think they look awesome and with the Monroe box on the back, I don't think you can even notice the difference in tracking. View attachment 634549 View attachment 634550 View attachment 634551 View attachment 634552 View attachment 634553 View attachment 634554
man truck looks great! where did you source the clear lenses on your side mirrors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your advice in advance! There are various short posts on this wheel topic over the past decade. The posts usually peter out or are pretty inconclusive. Maybe we can consolidate the info here.

For my 2005 C4500 4x4, I am looking to run some 335/80R20 Continental MPT81 or Pirelli Pista PS22's. Before I buy a set of 1st Attack Engineering steel 20"x11" ($435 each) does anyone have any other options? Super Single Wheels - 1st Attack Engineering

1.) Stazworks new 2 piece aluminum "MRAP" looks pretty good, $550 each. John is nice, but I am not very keen based on some other's experiences. Also quite expensive. See Facebook photos. He does not make single piece welded steel wheels anymore I think.
2.) Eastern Surplus Steel MRAP, $325. Really heavy. 16 Stud 8 Hole Wheel / Rim for MRAP RG 31 CAT I and MRAP JERRV
3.) Lav/Styrker MRAP. I think Cowpig has had some big issues.
4.) Buckstop steel single. They wont make any for Kodiak/Topkick.
5.) IHC MXT/Shocker alloys. I can't find any.
6.) Hutchinson. Besides the huge cost, do they even make a 8x275mm?
7.) If I don't do singles then, Rimco/A1 wheels has some great Alcoa "knockoffs" for killer deals. Part Number: 225368P - A1 Truck Wheels Then a 295/75R22.5 or a 11R22.5 like a Toyo M650 would be great.
8.) Alcoa 22.5"x~14" super single. They don't make that anymore for 8x275mm. Cannot find any used

Does a DOT stamp really matter until I get inspected at a weigh station?

Thank you all, it has been really helpful reading through some posts on here.
Regards, Sam
I am just bought a 2007 GMC Kodiak c5500 4x4 Crew cab with a 16' flatbed and I am also reading these posts still scratching my head. I intend on turning this bed into a dump or hook, I would like to increase my payload capacity, off driveway capability and style points. I have been looking at super singles and also just 22.5" rims and tires trying to make the right choice. Do I need a lift in a 4x4 to fit a 22.5" Aloca rim with appropriate tire? What is the best way to get a higher payload capacity? Mostly smaller rural road driving where I am, I wont be doing too much highway time. I do intend to use the 12,000lb towing capacity too, not sure how often as it depends on my payload improvement possibilities. I would LOVE to get an extra 1000lb capacity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do I need a lift in a 4x4 to fit a 22.5" Aloca rim with appropriate tire?
I run Hercules Ironman I-402, 385/65R-22.5 (15.5" wide, 9921 lbs rating, 42.2" diameter) on Alcoa 22.5 x 12.25 with no lift and no clearance issues. The wheels have a 2.75" offset so the front mounted have a wider than stock track by about 1.5". '09 C4500 4x4 Crewcab 11' flatbed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run Hercules Ironman I-402, 385/65R-22.5 (15.5" wide, 9921 lbs rating, 42.2" diameter) on Alcoa 22.5 x 12.25 with no lift and no clearance issues. The wheels have a 2.75" offset so the front mounted have a wider than stock track by about 1.5". '09 C4500 4x4 Crewcab 11' flatbed.

42.5" and no clearance issues! I had read somewhere here or wherever that 40" was max. Maybe I misread it too. Good to know that 42.5" will clear as that gives me a lot more options, thank you! Any idea what you paid for that wheel and tire? I'm looking at about 4k give or take depending on the tire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts