Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have insight on a shotgun for a youngster?

I have a Mossberg 500C 20 gauge with a 28" accu-choke barrel. With this setup I figure he is setup to shot some clays to get the feel of the shotgun.

The goal is to deer hunting with him in the fall. Can I use buckshot with this barrel, or get a rifled slug barrel? If we go with buckshot then he has the 2 brass beads on the existing 28" barrel. If I get a rifled barrel for slugs - it has iron sights on it, right?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
He'd be able to get more range out of the slug barrel, and it would prolly be better for helping him develop good shooting skills.

In most cases you can get iron sights or cantiveleer mounts (how ever it is spelt) then you could add a scope.

·
Banned
1,769 Posts
remington has some rifled barrel shotguns. you can even mount a scope if you want. check the hornady web-site, they make some great 20 gauge accurate slugs. buckshot vs slugs matters on the distance he will shoot.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 with a smooth slug barrel that is pretty accurate. I just got my son and daughter a Mossberg youth 20 ga that has an adjustable stock to lenghten as they grow. Good guns IMO.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
You're gonna wind up spending about $150 for a slug barrel for your 20ga 500. You could get a single shot 20ga w/ sights for about that.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
my first gun was a 20ga remington 870 express magnum. i got it when i was 16 and i'm still using it. i usually use 3" 2 buck, i've shot slugs through it before pretty accurately too. also i believe mine was around $350 or so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You'd get different slugs for rifled barrel vs the 28", right? I used an 870 with regular barrel in Upstate NY, 20 guage back in 1989 and I'm pretty sure gunshop just gave me right slugs for barrel. Shot nice on target but never shot a deer with it.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
my son and wife use an 20ga 1100 youth, has a 23" barrel IIRC w/ rem choke. so I've got an extended rifled tube for it. It does great w/ the full choke and turkey loads too. I got the 1100 because of less recoil. the few extra $$ is worth it because if they keep getting kicked or a soar arm they won't want to shoot anymore. My boy got his 1st deer w/ it last year, 50yd shot broad side walking, it ran 20-30 yds stopped. he shot again it went over a hill and he called me, I was in bed but heard the shots. tracked it maybe 50 more yds in brush, the 2 holes weren't 2" apart. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garageimage.php?do=full&p=20131

I do some shotgun merit badge shoots w/ scouts and my boy did real good on a sporting clay course w/ it, also got a few pheasants and rabbits too.

the wife also likes to shoot it which is VERY important.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I had the same gun, worked great for skeet. Pulled up nice and a good action. Never hunted with it though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts