Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mod 1 = No DAMN door chime with the "key in / door open"
mod 2 = All lights come ON with high beam switch (fog, low, high)

I dont know if anyone has done these mods yet but I sure would be greatfull for any advice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would also like to know how to have the fog lights on with the high beams. I already have the wiring harness from Kennedy and the Siverstar Bulbs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
you are going to have to fire up the low beam relay and the fog light relay from the high beam lead on the BCM- Body control module- under the steering column. Shouldn't be too hard but will take a little figuring out which wires to use. This I can tell you from my endeavors to kill my headlights at night ( canadian model) and keep in mind I don't have a drawing, but someone else here might! The low beam relay lead is on the left hand connector on the bcm, bottom row pos 4 and is pink. If I remember right the high beam lead is on the same connector on the top row pos 1. I'm sure the fog light lead is on the same connector but I wasn't looking for it so you'll have to. Basically you'll need to wire up a relay for each the low beam and fog light leads to provide a ground when the high beam lead is activated. To keep things separate this would require a dpst relay or two spst relays, which are more common. The spst relays would wire like this:

To add the low beams:pin 85- +12v, pin 86- high beam lead, pin 30- gnd, pin 87 low beam lead

To add the fog lights: same as above except pin 87 to fog light lead

That would certainly make for lots of lights on the front on high beam. There may be ways to do it too by reprogramming the BCM but I have no access to that- It would certainly be a cleaner and nicer mod since it would just be a program change. Good luck!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You know what would be really cool is some custom BCM flashes. I am actually surprised no one is doing this kind of stuff yet. Wish I had a tech II to play with. Would likely require quite a bit of cracking, hacking, data logging, time and effort. You sure could do some cool stuff though!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
can you imagine what stuff that would get screwed up if somebody was playing with that kind of stuff??? Gm already does a plenty good job screwing that stuff up, we dont need to help them any

·
Registered
433 Posts
I did my headlight system about a year ago. I found a guy over ebay that made custom wiring kits just for this. I found his add and emailed him. He sent me a quote of $35 to have all the lights come on. There is a local store here that sells a kit for just the highs and lows to come on but the fog lights still go off. So, this guy set me up and a week later I got it in the mail. There were only 4 wires involved and he had it all sealed up so it is waterproof. He explained some resistors in it and I don't want to open it up. I just went to my ebay listings and I can't find his name. I will keep an eye out for it again and if I see it I will post it here for everyone. But I enjoy having all the lights on at once. I recently bought the 130 watt high beam bulbs and it really lights things up.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont the 130 watt bulbs melt the plastc lenses that the headlights are made of? Those lenses have to cost $$$.

Where did you get the 130 watt bulbs? Do they say 65w looks like 130w or are they true 130w?

Those stupid blue headlights do that cr*p on the label. They rate them at what they want you to hear not what they are.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I would be much more cocerned with the 130 bulbs melting the plastic plug that plugs into the bulb and the wiring!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know what else would be nice is a floor/foot switch for the high beams like the old trucks used to have. I struggle with the arm on the steering wheel thing at night. Your driving along on a mountain road commming around an icy corner and bam here comes another car. You have to quickly reach up to the arm and push it the other way. Its a real pain. While your doing that you drive your new truck into a Giant Sequoia. :(

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I put in a set Matrix in think they were 80w or something like that...just about started a electrical fire in the plugs....not to mention that F*rd does not just make the plugs!!! Luck I was able to after market.

About those fog lights...I want to add silver stars in them also...9145(looks just like the low beam 9005(?)) is not made by silver star...who knows maybe one day. I really like those silver star and I do not have to worry about any fires

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Anybody know how to disable the door chime?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ok, I stand corrected. The bulbs I put in are 100w with a 130w light rating. I have not had any problems with the plastic melting on anything. The only time I run the high beams are in the winter time, so it is plenty cold out and that might help. Here in Alaska during the summer months there is no darkness where headlights are needed. And during the winter, of course, it is cold and dark.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I used to run 80w low beams and 100w high beams in my '99 GMC 1/2ton, never had a problem with heat.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Mine did not burn/melt right away...it was over time. I do not think you guys should worry about heat as much as the amps(current) required to light the 100watts. I think the problem is in the wiring/harness not being able to handle the amps. Guage of wire and plug is the big thing.

Any ideas on how to get a Silver Star in my fogs?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I’m currently in the midst of rolling my own headlight booster that will turn on the fog lights and low beams whenever the high beams are on. I’m also thinking of adding a switch to disable the “all on” feature for the annual state inspection. I’ll post details when get it done but basically I’m just adding three relays and some diodes along with fuses and 10 gauge wire. The 12v feeds will be fused and connected directly to the red battery junction box in front of the power steering pump. The “all lights on” could also be done as previously stated by making a “wired OR” connection at the output of the BCM but I prefer to keep this mod external to the OE wiring. It will be completely reversible if needed. It would easier to just buy JK’s harness and add the fog light feature but I enjoy the tinkering.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Door chime...There was a post about this awhile back. As I remember everyone come to the conclusion that, about the best way to disable the door chime was to push the latch in while you have the door open. But, don't forget to open it before you close the door. Apparently the wiring is tied into other things that you may not want to disable.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
the other day a friend got a warning ticket for lights other than OEM. Probaly start seeing tickets being wtitten here in OKLA soon. This is the way they did seat belts-- First a warning then the real deal.

Geno

·
Registered
433 Posts
That is the only reason I put the high wattage "HIGH" beams in. I did not change the low beams. I figure I only run the high beams when there is no-one in front of me and when I switch to low beams nobody can complain. If I happen to forget the high beams are on when someone is coming my way, sure enough they flash me to let me know.
Mine are setup so all the lights are on in high. In case you didn't know, if you put your lights in high beam position, then just pull back on your switch but don't let go you will have all the lights on and you will get spoiled and want to put the 4 way conversion in.

Jeff

·
Registered
958 Posts
That works acehi, but the fog lights still turn off when the highbeam circuit is triggered.

The door chime door latch trick works on pre-03 trucks, I was disappointed to discover that I'm stuck with it on the new truck.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Works on my '04 Ext Cab

The latch thing that is.Edited by: WanaDmxsub

1 - 20 of 27 Posts