Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone produced a fuel filter that fit in the factory location that filtered down to 2 micron reliably would that eliminate the need for a second filter? Or is there some other reason for having a second filter? I know with oil filters you can buy better grades that filter better. Is this not available with the fuel filters.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That would be the best solution to the problem, however, no one as of yet makes such a filter and if they did it would have to be approved by GM which takes time. Someone at the other page has machined an adapter from oem to Cat but doing that would most likely void factory warranty if the oem filter was eliminated. Heard a rumor yesterday that GM is coming out with some sort of retrofit fuel filter for duramax and is going to change filters to 2 micron in future production.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
i was thinking why couldnt a guy mount the Racor set up in the oem location? it has a heater in it, you can get a WIF sensor for it and it would be very easy to remove should the need arise... I think I am gonna work on that.. stay tuned

Eric

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
i was thinking why couldnt a guy mount the Racor set up in the oem location? it has a heater in it, you can get a WIF sensor for it and it would be very easy to remove should the need arise... I think I am gonna work on that.. stay tuned

Eric

I was thinking the same thing months ago and asked what people thought about it on the diesel page.

The conclusion was that

A) possible warranty issues with lots of dealers

B) 2 filters are better then 1.

Other then that it is completely doable. I suspect that you might have troubles with the WIF as well. That is just based on a comment I read a while ago about Racor trying to develop a replacement filter head. I haven't done any testing myself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Max Power said:
.... I suspect that you might have troubles with the WIF as well. That is just based on a comment I read a while ago about Racor trying to develop a replacement filter head. I haven't done any testing myself.

It only stands to reason that if any company was going to come up with a total replacement filter with a different filter option, it would Racor. They make the stock filter, and I'm assuming that they make the stock filter head as well. They should know how all of that works together.

While two filters would still be better than one, ONE that actually WORKED, would not be a bad thing either...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Eric, from my view that would be a great move. Especially if you could easily switch it back to the OEM before service
I dont see the benefit of two filters really. It would make more sense to me if you were to actually deseign a two filter set up to have the 7 micron filter before the 2 micron. But I think Cadman has it right, one that works would be a VERY good thing

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I am talking about and hoping for is a reliable 2 micron filter that just spins on to the stock filter head that I have. I wonder if any of the other brands out there already are good enough like Puroilater and stuff. I doubt it but maybe. I email Racor about them coming out with a better filter. We will see what kind of answer I get if any.

·
Registered
183 Posts
somekevinguy said:
I wonder if any of the other brands out there already are good enough like Puroilater and stuff.

Racor makes ALL of the primary fuel filters on the market, other companies just put their brand or part number on it. I just put a Purolator branded fuel filter on my truck this weekend, and it was identical to the last one that my dealer put on, except with a different number stamped on it. Perhaps dmaxalliTech could chime in here, but this should mean that this would be one case where a Fram filter would be fine, since it is actually made by Racor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Perhaps dmaxalliTech could chime in here, but this should mean that this would be one case where a Fram filter would be fine, since it is actually made by Racor.

If you check out Eric's vendor site, you'll see that he does sell the Fram filter because it is cheaper than GM's. I asked him and that's what he said, Fram is cheaper. I appreciate his honesty.Edited by: dieselman

·
Registered
242 Posts
Crazy question,but I know this is a popular post

How do you guys cut and paste a comment with a box around it? My post with bluenotes sentence cut and pasted doesn't. Thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You click on the 'quote' button just above a users posts. This will put their whole post in the quote box.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I suppose one reason we couldnt change out the oem assembly is that we would loose the primer pump....back to the drawing board.

Eric

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
You can manually make a quote box by typing...

[*quote=persons name] blah blah [*/quote]

Remove the asterisks and you get this....

persons name said:
blah blah

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
490 Posts
Has anyone checked out the Stanadyne FM100? Remember a while back I posted that I bought another Cat filter head, that took a 150 micron water separator element? I intended to mount with the big Cat filter. While browsing Stanadyne's website I found information on the FM100 which is that Cat head I purchased bare. Come to find out, you can get a 150, 30, 5 or 2 micron filter element for that head!!! And get this, you can also equip it with a hand primer, ELECTRIC primer, or LIFT PUMP!!! An in unit fuel heater is also available, but you cannot add the pumps, unless you go to the "Side-Load Heater" option. Other options include WIF, see through plastic bowl, and a 150 micron pre-filter screen. I think one of these with a lift pump, 150 or 30 micron element, in front of a Nicktane, would be a hot setup.

http://www.stanadyne.com

Edited by: Pick

·
Registered
174 Posts
I recently read an article from the magazine
"Heavy Duty Trucking" about dirty fuel and effective filtering
by George Morrison and Jim Wilson. It was called 'Trucking's
Dirty Little Secret.' Or something like that.
They discussed how the size of a dirt particle around 7 mic
rons is the worst for doing damage to an engine, and these
are the ones that actually cut holes through the filter media and
allow the finer particles to pass through the holes into the
injectors. Secondary filtering then becomes pretty important
in capturing the smaller dirt particles.
Don't get me confused with somebody that knows what he's
doin- but I sure was convinced about better filtering after
reading that.
Zip

Hey Pick.Where from? I used to live in Akron.Now I disguise myself as a
southern 'gent.'Edited by: Zip from Tenn

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the response I got from Racor

Kevin,

The OEM filter is 99% efficient at 4 microns and larger.

There is no accepted SAE or ISO test to determine efficiency at 2 microns,
as the silica dust used in testing is not calibrated down to 2 microns.

More efficient media would have very, very short life.

In general, only 1 percent of particles 4 microns and larger get though the
filter to the injectors. Under "normal" on-road driving conditions, the
injectors are perfectly protected.

However, if the truck is run in very dusty conditions, the diesel fuel can
get contaminated with a huge number of particles. One percent of billions
of particles means a lot of particles still get through to the injection
system.

The first line of defense is to know your diesel fuel source and be aware
that it is very easy to contaminate diesel fuel.

To counter high particle load (dusty) operating conditions, a pre-filter
should be used. A pre-filter might pass 1 percent of the particles to the
OEM filter, which would in turn pass only 1 percent of those particles.
The 100 of 1 reduction in particles means the injectors are again
protected.

In the next few weeks, Racor will announce a pre-filter kit with a heater
option, and water sensor hook-ups to the truck electronics. Currently,
about 10 pre-filter kits are being tested in Canada.

It is up to you if you want to wait for this kit. If you drive in very
dust conditions, and you have had poor diesel fuel quality problems, then
you may not want to wait.

Best regards,

Steven Hardison
Product Manager
Racor Division Parker Hannifin Corp
3400 Finch Road
Modesto CA 95353

·
Registered
909 Posts
That's nice of him to respond, however... his response sounds like the old party line for the misinformed mass.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Somebody lay down the reason why adding a 2 micron filter POST OEM is not in thier suggestions?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I love the line of knowing your diesel fuel source. HMMM let's see I get the station I buy my fuel at to test and certify it??? Not likely.

If I knew my source and could trust it I wouldn't need to be worrying about the filters, would I?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
OUTGASSING?????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts