Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the skinny, I found a great deal on a set of H2 wheels/tires on ebay and was dying to make the truck look "bigger".. These tires are 315/70R17's, the wheels are 17x8.5's (or 17x9's, depends on who you ask). No way in hell they'll fit in the front wheelwells at stock height. I bought the infamous "green keys", the torsion bar keys from a Chevy half-ton (part #15592573 from your friendly GM dealership parts department) which are supposed to raise the front of the truck two inches.

I had Blair, the suspension guru at Ken's Tire & Wheel (Chilliwack, BC Canada) do the install and the rest of the work. He installed the green keys, trimmed the air dam on the front bumper, installed 2" lift blocks and longer shackles on the back, and did a wheel alignment. Picked it up the next day and it was a great success, the only thing I had to do was some inner fender trimming when I got home, the front tires were rubbing at near-full lock.

The front suspension ride is firmer than stock, not too stiff, but firmer. I was hoping it would do this, as I prefer it that way. The rear suspension feels the same as before. The truck gets alot of compliments now, whereas before it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

My dad has a truck just like mine, different color, and his looks like a 1/2ton now beside mine. Now he's been hounding me to find him a set so he can do the same thing!

Anyways, here are some pics, if anyone else is thinking about doing it I'd say go for it. I've got the ZF 6-speed and it did lose a bit of power, it threw the speedometer out 12%, but I can live with that. I'll just get extra hidden mileage out of my warranty.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
That sure does look better! my '97 1/2 ton had a 6" lift w/ 35's. and i miss it big time... i'm still toying with lifting this truck as i swore i WOULDN'T do it... . but what can i say? I like bigger truck

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great Truck! I have the same color but 4 door. I just put 325/60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It did stiffen the ride after turning the torsion bars up but it looks like a 4x4 now! Have you done anything to the engine? Anything planned?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't really done squat to the engine, just dropped in my K&N filter and replaced the boat anchor of a muffler with a section of mandrel bent straight pipe. I may chip it when Edge releases their Attitude controller, I've got the 6-speed so I'm not interested in the current Edge box. I just want more low-RPM torque, if it will go like a raped ape on top too that's fine by me, but not my goal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks great. Thats the way HD's should look off the show room floor.

Here is my truck if anyone is interested.

Edited by: 1BADHD

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Dam,

both trucks look real nice.........

I like the H2 wheels but I dont wanna stiffen my ride.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
ISurvivedNMU,

I had the same concern about ride quality. I didn't use any other keys, just cranked my torsion bars up 1 3/4" which many stated would not adversly affect the ride. In my case it did not. Not only can I not detect a difference, but perhaps more importantly, my wife says she can't!

Now all I have to do is decide on Steps/Boards so she can get in easily.

I like my new look, check my link for pics!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Truck looks great. So much so that I am thinking of doing the same to mine. My only concern is the trim on the fender. How much trim work did you have to perform and how difficult was it. Also after installing the green keys did the vehicle level out or is the front higher than the rear.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Can I ask you guys what a good deal is on these tires?

500?

more...

I'm hooked.......

Anyone got any connections.....Edited by: ISurvivedNMU

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The good deal that I found was $600 for the wheels/tires, shipped. The best I've seen otherwise is about $600 before shipping (generally around another $200)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, the trim work was very easy. A dremel was used on the front bumper plastic air dam (I didn't do this myself) and I just used a safety knife on the inner fender linings. It sits slightly more level now with the 2" blocks in the back and the green keys in the front, I figure the green keys added 2 1/2" or so on the front.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Im looking... Was it a person on ebay that you got the 600 deal from.... Do they have anymore?

I dont really want to do the trimming so i am going to try to move the bumper forward.... IF I can find a deal on tires.....

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bumper can be moved forward too, with minor modifications to the mounting hardware/brackets apparently.

I got them from an individual off of ebay, he only had the two sets though. I'll let you know if I come across another deal like that but you're just as likely as I am to do so.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I paid $500.00 from the local Hummer dealer. They keep the takeoffs until a truck comes by once in a while and takes them to California. They are just happy to free up the storage space. Try calling one in MI. Considering the freight you can drive almost anywhere in MI to get them. Good Luck

I really wanted 305/70's and I don't like BFG AT's but when you look at the cost of mounting and balancing I can't justify it. You can't hardly mount any tire of any size for under 500.Edited by: Jeli

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I'll second calling the H2 dealers, I have been buying the rims for $100 and the tires for $50.

They are going to look good on my next trailer I build.

I went w/ 285/70R-17 BFG AT to keep from lifting (did go a couple turns on the bars) only had to trim a little of the airdam on my 03 GMC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts