Diesel Place banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Its possible its harness, although this PMD is for sure bad, so returning and trying another....

Anyway, this is a list of everything they did to the engine over the years, its pretty interesting they didnt relocate the pmd earlier!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BweKKQm37zU9OVNxUUVOV1hCeDA/edit?usp=docslist_api
Very seldom do "govt agencies" modify things.....that creates liability. Especially if it's a school district. Also, depends on who they actually have servicing their fuel system. If I recall, the fuel systems had a 10 year warranty...unless a school bus is "commercial" and was different. But if it was under 'warranty' until 2009, I'm sure they wouldn't touch it....

The 94 pickup I have, it was OEM when I got it in Dec 2012. Over it's life (according to records), it had a few PMDs, 1 or 2 IPs, a few OPS's, but the PMD was never relocated....why....most of the fuel system work (if not all) was sent to the dealer!!!! :eek::bawl:

Your bus, it looks like they did all in house....well, maybe. I'm surprised it had an engine at 90K.... and then what looked like at least two IP's and two (if not three) PMDs over the life of the vehicle, I just skimmed the list.... It had oil cooler lines done....then a bit later, a whole engine. I wonder what prompted that.....

Reactions: mentalbreakdown

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes in quite a few states school buses are now mandated a 10 year warranty.... I work for International... Now they all have to have A/C as well.... Sissy kids now I tell ya...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The warranty would make sense. I think they did a lot things as standard as possible since from what I understand they have some rigorous state inspections each year.

I was curious as to what prompted the replacement engine as well....

It was one of the reasons I purchased it though since the engine only has 60k on it, a fairly new IP, so if I can get this stalling bug fixed then I think I got a nice deal at $2500

·
Registered
471 Posts
With all the work that has been done on that motor, I would check grounds and wires leading to them. It would be easy to leave a ground wire loose or have bad connection.

I also wonder why they had to rebuild the turbo at such low mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
New to checking grounds, tried to find a good thread.

I found my main ground that goes to neg on batteries. It doesnt look great, I am guessing you guys will tell me to replace it?

How many other grounds should I check for, I think I saw one coming from the wire harness from the IP?

Thx!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Based on the pictures, I would take them apart and thoroughly clean them. Use wire brush, emery paper to get the rust off.

Here is a link to a grounds thread for the standard 6.5L trucks: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...-grounds-grounds-importance-good-grounds.html that should help you locate them. Several of us have added grounds from the back of the intake manifold to the firewall to improve on the factory ground strap. I buy the pre-made ones at AutoZone for this.

You might want to do this mod on the battery connectors, too: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/2755252-post5.html

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
There's a couple grounds at the back of the engine, one runs to the frame another to the firewall. ( If the grounds are in the same location as earlier trucks. Check your ECM ground as well. ECM is under the glove box. I ended up making new grounds out of stainless aircraft cable with ends crimped and soldered on. The OEM are a braded material on the smaller grounds and they will rot out.

Reactions: Freddyack

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,410 Posts
Get a wire brush and clean them good. No need to replace the ground wires.

The positive cable, on the other hand, may be worth replacing if they look bad.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here are pictures of mine (mine is Tygon fuel line)

Picked up 10 feet of this hose. Can it be left in the truck as shown? Thought I read it's only good up to 160F and I assume it gets at least that hot under the hood all the time. I could sell the excess for what I paid. $2/foot + shipping if anyone needs it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.