Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and or Gals

Im new the diesel trucks. I have a 99 2500 4x4 that I got last summer. Ive put about 10k on it. The truck has 198k on it. The motor was replaced by me when I got the truck. The motor had 130k on it. It was complete right down to the wiring harness and stater. The only thing missing was the a/c compressor on the yard motor. Ive done no mods at all. The only mod was some bigger injectors thats Ive put the 10k on. This morning I started the truck and let it warm up. It was -7 with the wind chill @ -15. The truck was warm and I was off. I went just shy of 15 miles on the highway and it just shut down. Like it ran out of fuel. I had it towed home.

I work for a Sears auto center as a salesmen. I called a few of my dealer buddies as I have no clue where to start looking. I was told as follows.

Check fuses = no problems there

Change the fuel filter done with no fix.

Check the lifter pump. I have no clue how to test it,but it fills the fuel
filter?

Take off lines loose at the injector and check for fuel. I done the #1 injector and no fuel on crack.

Check for power at the injector pump. Theres about 8 plugs there. One has over 12 volts 1 has 3 volts and one has 1.5 volts.

Take a gas covered rage rag ring it out and use it for fumes. Place it over the intake. Its better then starting fluid? I did this and the truck fires.

Looks like an injector pump right?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Rick

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
No, you have to be sure you are getting fuel to the injector pump before you condem the injector pump. Follow the fuel lines from the injector pump back to the fuel pump and check for fuel there first.

·
Registered
183 Posts
More then like the lift dies on you, and a good possibility it took the Vp44 (inj. pump with it since it just quit. There is a possibility that the fuel might of gelled on you, but??? On 98.5-02 24v trucks it is mandatory to have a fuel pressure gauge. The crappy fuel supply set up from DC is terrible. There is a test port on the side of the Vp to check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys

Thanks for the input.

I just talked to the local dodge dealer with a cummins tech. There are 4 trucks with the same problem as mine this week in the area. Mine makes 5. Hes putting in a call to cummins today. He said something about low salfur fuel? I did get fuel on Sunday and noticed the low sulfer sticker on the pump. This is the 1st time I can remember putting in low salfur fuel in my truck. Ive only ran aout 30 miles untill the problem showed up. Just dumb luck? Im off to get a fuel pressure gauge and test it at injector pump. Ill keep checken back with what I found out. Anymore help would be great

Thanks Again
Rick

·
Registered
38 Posts
Almost sounds like the fuel gelled up. The electric lift pumps leave alot to be desired and I have seen them go up just from running out of fuel. I wonder if when it gelled up the lift pump headed south to warmer weather. That would be the first thing I check.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heys Guys

Thanks for all the help. I dont think the fuel gelled as it pumps past the fuel filter. Ive seen about a gallon at the injector pump.

I found out injector pump has a rotor that went bad. Ill have the new pump tomm and I also ordered the lift pump (or inline fuel pump) Ive heard it call by both names. This will get the truck up and running per the cummins tech I spoke with.

·
Registered
924 Posts
What is a cummins or Dodgem????

·
Registered
183 Posts
What lift pump are you going with? Your kinda talkin about 2 different styles. They the original design that mounts on the engine, the new updated pump that is put into the tank per the bulletin. An inline pump is going to be aftermarket. I would recommend a FASS II.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey

Im got a lift pump from napa. Im not sure of the brand. I looked in to the replacement lifter pump in the fuel tank, untill I spoke to the Cummins tech. Hes not a fan of them. I cant see putting the lifter pump in the tank to just drop the tank to replace it. I do alot of traveling and I want to be able to fix it on the road if I need to. The injector pump I got was a stock vp44. I only got a chance to work on my truck about 45mins today. My brother blew a brake line on his truck and I put that in front of my truck as Ive got a back up truck. He doesnt.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That Napa pump is more then likely the same Carter pump used from the factory. Since your going this route I would recommend one of these.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VULCANRELOKIT

It relocate the pump back by the tank to push the fuel instead of sucking it. This will length the life span of the pump. Make sure you install a fuel pressure gauge. This will prevent this problem in the future. ;)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I would forsure do something to get more fuel up to that vp44 and as far as low sulfer fuel i would just dump lucas in it everytime u fill up that should keep your plugers and all lubaicated in the vp44

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Being im new to the diesel.

Whats up with the low salfer fuel? Ive heard alot about that the last week??

What color is diesel?

·
Registered
183 Posts
They took the sulfur out of the fuel, from 500ppm to 15ppm (part per million). Sulfur is what lubes everything. I would recommend a good fuel additive like stanadyne. I have been running a quart of 2-stroke oil per fill-up for over a year now. The 2-stroke puts the lubriticity back into the fuel. Plus the engine is happier, smoother, and I noticed a 1-2 mile per gallon increase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We got hit by a big snow storm. It snows @ 11 inces and another 6-10 tonite. Being Ive got a old plow truck ive been busy. Ill give answer to what my problems was when I get it fixed after the storm gets done.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys

Thanks for all the help. It turned out to be a bad vp44 go figure right. With a new vp44 the dodge runs great! I just pick up a 94 diesel im going to ask a few questions about.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Rick Bays;1732967; said:
Hey guys

Thanks for all the help. It turned out to be a bad vp44 go figure right. With a new vp44 the dodge runs great! I just pick up a 94 diesel im going to ask a few questions about.
1994 usually has a 160 pump on it (P-7100)

A real nice ride is a 400HP 12 Valve.

Lots of low end torque.

I would look into getting a Buddah Power or DDP P-7100/180 or P-7100 215 pump for it, 4000K GSK kit, Laser cut delivery valves, bigger Plungers and barrels, some M370 injectors (or extrude honed 215's) and a #5 fuel plate, slid a little forward, then an Hx-40 turbo.

easy 450 HP there, and bags of torque. If an auto it will need to be a built one, and if 5 speed, get the enterprise engineering 5th gear nut and input fix.

Good to go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts