Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article about a 6.5 that was supposed to come out in 99. It has a 19.5:1 compression ratio; i am assuming they achieve this with different pistons. Does anyone know if you can buy pistons for a 99 instead of shaving earlier stock pistons? Also do they use a different combustion chamber design? And if so can that be purchased?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know you could still get the 6.5 in 2000. A friend of mine has a 2000 CrewCab 4X4 1 Ton with a 6.5. As far as compression goes, I have no Idea, sorry.

Bill

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I think that was the motor GM talked about but never produced.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think that was the motor GM talked about but never produced.
That is correct, compression remained at 21.5-1. You can buy after market pistons for 18-1 and I have seen where some suppliers will custom machine stock pistons to any CR you desire. If you want lower CR pistons I would talk with John Kennedy I know he sells quaily lower CR pistons which is impportant if your trying to pull higher amounts of Horse Power from a 6.5.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
The 99.5(2000'ish) HUMMERS and vans received the newer style engine, it was a stipulation of the military contract. There was a thread on here a while back comparing the late model van engine to a truck engine. Although it was not determined if it was lower compression or not, but I believe it was established that the cylinder heads di change in late 99 to a more efficient style. I may be wrong on this, it is onl;y what I've gathered from reading hundreds of posts here and on other forums regarding this matter.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
This thread makes me wonder why DAS gave such a good credit on my pistons from my blown 00 engine, were they possibly the 19.5:1's and they neglected to tell me for some reason..... I got $99 a piece back on those???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts