Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably isn't the right forum for this, and maybe not even the right site, but I'd like some tips on getting some additional performance out of my 4 cylinder Mitsubishi turbo diesel. It is the 4D34-2AT3A engine... probably used in other vehicles, maybe even small pickups of that era. 3.9L, 135hp, 238ci.

Thanks for any tips or pushes in the right direction.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess there's not much out there on these trucks.

I'd really like to get a little more power so I can consider a taller rearend. As it is, 1st gear (5 speed manual) is useless. Maxes out about 3-4 mph. I'd have to be pulling stumps or houses to use something like that. 5th gear at max. rpm (3500) is 70 mph. I don't want to go any faster, but I would like to be at a sweeter rpm spot at 70. I think this engine is 275 ft/lbs at 1600 rpm. So something under 2000 rpm at 70 would be perfect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thought I had is a turbo upgrade. It has a Mitsubishi TD-05 turbo right now. There is probably a drop in replacement turbo that has either a faster spool time or a lower rpm spool.

Other options would be a chip (which I haven't seen for this engine) or even something simple like a K&N air filter and free flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I just now saw the post. I would look into a water/meth set up. The jetting would be the only thing to really figure out. It could hook into your windshield washer tank, (windshiel washer fluid has a high concentration of methanol) and walla, more power. If you want more info P.M. me. Super Diesel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply SD... but that wouldn't help me too much. I need pulling power, cruising power. This is a big truck with a lot of wind resistance to fight on the highway. The limitation of the truck is power to overcome drag and gearing. I'm afraid to put too much into the rear end (in the form of taller gearing) without having something to put into the engine to help pull the taller gears.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Water/ Meth only comes on when you need the power, like full throttle. It can be set to come on lower though. Propane is an old idea that still works well also. You can set it to come on at any where from 5psi boost to 30psi boost. It is a good power gainer as well. Just trying to help you figure something out. Super Diesel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I hear ya BD... suggestions are always appreciated. I might just be asking too much out of too little. I guess I'll just keep the larger 4.8L engine on my wish list and wait for my current engine to die (or I win the lottery).

I'll still be doing the taller rearend regardless.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Good luck to ya. I'll be down in New Orleans this summer to do some ocean fishin (and some big eatin). Lookin forward to it
. Super Diesel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there's two things we know how to do here in LA, it's cook and party. You can't help but have a good time here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts