Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 1997 TD Silverado 2500
My computer is throwing code P1214 which is the injection pump timing offset; service recommends resetting the ECM. I have taken this to a mechanic and he looked at it with his scan tool and said he could not get it to relearn the offset. the timing was right on around 12° and was 2° off on the offset which he diagnosed as needing a new injection pump. Cleared the code and it comes right back. Supposedly the IP in it is rather new but the truck sat for a couple years with dead batteries. The truck runs great. The prvious owner does have the wastegate zip tied open as well ( I build at most 5lbs of boost on the gauge). I cut the zip tie and the motor fails to rev up and smokes like crazy. Would a mechanical homemade turbomaster work for this situation or do I need a new vacuum pump? I am new to the Diesel motor so any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,827 Posts
Welcome!!!

Not sure about P1214.

Yes, you can use TurboMaster or any mechanical wastegate, homemade or purchase from Heath Diesel.
There is a reason why the PO does not put a new vacuum pump.
Not sure why you cannot rev up, usually that points to bad armature in the IP.
May be it is related to the P1214.

I would try to fix the P1214 first. Somebody will chime in on how to deal with that.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
:welcome2: to the Forum!

If you install a "turbo master" make sure to install a boost gauge as well. The boost gauge will help you set up the turbo master. Should keep boost to 10lbs or less without a Pyro gauge.

Setting the "timing offset" on 1996-2000 6.5L trucks requires a specific scan tool: Car Code or AutoEnginuity PC software and cable.

You might be able to find a Forum member that lives close to you who has one of these scan tools: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/25950-help-scan-tool-who-has-one-near-lend-mechanical-tool.html

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Here is the TDCO routine (KOKO) from the service manual. You only need a reader that will show you the TDCO value to get this done. If you search the site there is a ton of info here.
View attachment KOKO.pdf

·
Administrator
16,300 Posts
X2 on what Freddyack posted and...

I would also install Fuel and EGT gauge as well if your fooling with boost you'll want to know what your engine is doing Especially if your towing!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and information. Again i am new to the diesel world all together but I could not pass on this truck which has a 6inch lift on 35's plus it is rust free for the most part. I wont be doing any heavy towing, just a dune buggy to the mountains.
Anyway, I did have a guy put the right scan tool to relearn the offset and he said it would not let him which resulted in him saying i need a new injection pump. The motor is not creating any oil and runs good plus the previous owner said he installed a new IP and injectors before buying a new truck leaving this one sit plugged in for a couple years. I am truly hoping the guy with the scan tool did not know what he was doing??? Wha is on the IP that is electronic that will not let him reset/ relearn??? Currently at a total lost and trying not to spend $1000 on new IP. What amount of boost can i produce without throwing a code?

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,827 Posts
It has code, you need to somehow clear that code and need to be at a certain temp.

Not sure how to erase the code though if it keeps coming up as soon as you start it.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The engine has to be at or above 175*F for a TDCO relearn to take place. So you need to get it at least that hot, shut it down, clear the existing P1214, re-start and idle long enough to get out of open loop to set the TDCO.

OEM boost limit is around 10 PSI. But boost is a function of engine load so you won't see much over 3-4 PSI under full throttle unless you're towing or carrying a decent payload in the bed. ~FH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts