Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have a 1996 k2500 suburban with 6.5. I have been reading every forum post I can find on this site and others trying to figure my problem.

my initial problem after buying the truck is I was having a surging/erratic throttle pedal response. it started fine even at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Idled fine. Pretty much no smoke. Definitely a normal amount. But surged like the first 1/4 of the accelerator was not really working. It was sort of all go or idle. No gentle cruising throttle application.
I changed a lot of parts before I swapped the IP. New:
Accelerator sensor/pedal assembly.
Pmd and harness/ relocation kit with heat sync. And resistor. I deleted the vacuum turbo components and installed a manual adjustable wastegate controller and deleted the vac pump. New belt.
From research I read that it was likely my symptoms were a result of worn armature or optical sensor within the IP so I bought a new (reman) IP unit & installed it. After I did so It was very hard starting. I actually roasted the starter trying to bleed so I replaced that as well.
Once I did get it running on a bit of ether until it bled air out and it ran on its own it sounded loud and missing like as if running out of fuel, rough idle and tons of smoke, black and blue. I did the TDCO timing procedure with a snap on solus and got the offset to the proper range. I believe -.69 after doing the procedure a few times. But it made no difference to how it ran. So I changed all 8 glow plugs and all 8 injectors and New fuel filter. I have power at glow plugs. No difference after those parts. I was only getting about 3.5 psi of fuel at the Tvalve, so I changed the lift pump. Now I have 6.5psi of fuel at the inlet to the IP. The shut off solenoid was loose and shitty So I changed it. I tested it and the old one was working but I replaced it anyway because the cage on top was so messed up. It barely starts and only with starter fluid. Once it starts on ether it idles ok for about 2 minutes. As it begins to warm up the idle becomes louder and more like a misfire. Very clanky and loud. Still tons of smoke. I did drive it about 50 miles after doing the TDCO procedure and it would stall when coming to a stop- several times. Would only restart with full throttle while cranking. Has anyone ever gotten a bad IP out of the box?

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,383 Posts
DO NOT USE ETHER, IT WILL BURN THE GLOW PLUGS.

YES. People bought bad IP out of the box especially if they bought rebuild.
You need to get it from reputable vendor and the local part store are not one of them.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
How would you know a glow plug is burnt?
A clue would be hard starts. If the glow plug blows apart from the ether it will get chewed up by the engine and can cause some severe damage to the pistons and heads.
A safer alternative is to use a quick shot of WD 40 or your favorite cooking spray like Pam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts