Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place since it says 2001-2010, but I couldn't find a section for the year of my truck.

So, step one into my Dually build is gonna be the 6" lift and entire front end rebuild. Brakes, steering, suspension, I want everything brand new with good quality parts that will last.
Now, since I'm from Holland I have no idea what brands are good quality. In addition, I need to ship everything at once because of high shipping costs oversea.
I did look at RockAuto, and ended up just over 500 euro's for an entire front end/steering/brake rebuild, including shipping! For those of you that are familiar with RockAuto, I only chose professional or heavy duty parts.

But here's the problem: If I order, I will have to pay an additional 200 euro's at LEAST in import taxes and VAT in my country. A way to avoid this is to get all the parts to one place (preferably Florida) and let a friend of mine ship them directly to me.

So basically I am looking for a shop/business in Florida that can provide me with all the parts I need so I can place the order, have my friend pick the stuff up and ship it home. Any help here would be highly appreciated!

Step 2 would be the 6"lift kit.
The last few days I have googled for hours. Zone offroad, rough country, they all sell lift kits for the K1500, but not for the K3500 dually..
I did find a few old threads on this forum, but those shops don't sell the kits for the K3500 anymore. Again, any help here would be awesome :bow:
I'm looking to stay around 1200-1500 dollars max, since I have to pay additional shipping which won't be cheap due to the weight..

Step 3 would be some minor rust repairs, but more importantly AVOIDING rust. I am planning to powder coat all my front-end suspension parts, so that should be solved for the next 10+ years. But then there's the chassis and body. Both in pretty good shape ATM, only 2 places that worry me:

A big rusty patch underneath the 'extended part' of the cab, no holes yet but wont take long! This will require some welding and re-paint.

Front wheel arches. (damn fender-flares :banghead: ). I think the easiest way to repair this is just buy 2 new panels and get them painted.

Now the key question:
What is the best way to PREVENT any further rust on my body and chassis, and what products/brands should I use. I want to do this project right the first time (not like my previous project) so I can use all the help I can get on this subject, since rust was killing me on my previous project.

·
Administrator
16,280 Posts
Moved your post over to 6.5L for better views and responses.....

Reactions: MrMarty51

·
Registered
132 Posts
On My K3500 4X4, I just cranked up the torsion bars a ways. It set quite high now and the 295 tires quit rubbing the back lower corner of the front fenders.
I too have some steering and suspension components to replace before I can get it aligned, just no fun tickets to get the parts todo it.

Reactions: Thijmen156

·
Administrator
16,280 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Rust killers and prevention;

Sandblasting, sand paper, wire wheels, ect...

Never rinse with water, always use clean mineral spirits, acetone, paint thinner

Use primer, then either acrylic or hardened industrial enamel paint. Bedliner works well too, such as herculiner or lineX (all Bed liners require meticulous prep work or it will peel off)

Use hvlp sprayer for painting, never use a rattle can unless you don't care about the paint flaking off

When spraying bed liner use a gel coat spray gun (found in fiberglass shops/websites)

Oh yea, one more thing... when using or applying any of these (hvlp, gel coat gun, acrylic and enamel paints, wire wheels, sandblasters, grinders...ect) use proper safety gear or you'll land yourself 6ft deep prematurely aka death.

Quality respirators, nitride / nitrile gloves... and the regular common sense stuff... eyeware, ear protection, body protection (where any apply... wire wheels require all for example... eye, ear, respiratory, face, body protection and heavy duty gloves) common sense

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Pneumatic tools to remove rust would be at least primarily... a die grinder (multi tool) grinding wheels and wire wheels...

An electric alternative that works much better is an angle grinder. Also a multi tool. Fits cutoff wheels, flapdiscs (the best rust remover and my favorite) grinding wheels, wire wheels...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
As far as finding a business in Florida why don't you just buy online and have it shipped to your friend IN Florida... shops are just going to jack the pricing up and you'll pay more for nothing...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
And the big rusty spot... expect to use a welder to fix that. If you can poke a knife thru it it's done. Gotta cut it out and weld it shut with some sheet metal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of our newer Supporting Vendors has a Lift kit listed for 1995 K3500.

Here is their Welcome to DieselPlace page:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/68-vendors/223-sponsor-zone/801-liftkits4less/914281-welcome-liftkits4less.html#post9152961
Link to their website:
https://liftkits4less.com/
Thanks! I see they have the Superlift 5-7" kit, perfect! And for a good price!
Will probably go for that one! Gotta wait a few more months to get the money together since buying the truck killed my bank account :hehe:

Rust killers and prevention;

Sandblasting, sand paper, wire wheels, ect...

Never rinse with water, always use clean mineral spirits, acetone, paint thinner

Use primer, then either acrylic or hardened industrial enamel paint. Bedliner works well too, such as herculiner or lineX (all Bed liners require meticulous prep work or it will peel off)

Use hvlp sprayer for painting, never use a rattle can unless you don't care about the paint flaking off

When spraying bed liner use a gel coat spray gun (found in fiberglass shops/websites)

Oh yea, one more thing... when using or applying any of these (hvlp, gel coat gun, acrylic and enamel paints, wire wheels, sandblasters, grinders...ect) use proper safety gear or you'll land yourself 6ft deep prematurely aka death.

Quality respirators, nitride / nitrile gloves... and the regular common sense stuff... eyeware, ear protection, body protection (where any apply... wire wheels require all for example... eye, ear, respiratory, face, body protection and heavy duty gloves) common sense
Thanks, a lot of useful information that will definitely come in handy!
You guys rock! :coolnana:

I will soon be starting a 'build series' thread which I will link here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately the SuperLift kit says it doesn't fit on the dually... Is it possible to make this fit with a few modifications? Should be doable right since the rear-end lift isn't really that complicated

·
Registered
137 Posts
It also says not recommended for crew cabs 4 door models but yet they have a picture of a crew cab truck wearing the lift kit on their website. i bet the reason they say it won't fit a duelly is the blocks for the rear are made for a single wheel truck. I'm guessing the blocks for a duelly would be a shade wider. The blocks are Probably wide enough to not have to worry about it though.

·
Registered
820 Posts
i agree they are just releasing liability off them selves for someone putting a big lift on a big truck and not doing there homework
i figure you should be able to use it on the dually just get better wider blocks for the rear :cheers:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It also says not recommended for crew cabs 4 door models but yet they have a picture of a crew cab truck wearing the lift kit on their website. i bet the reason they say it won't fit a duelly is the blocks for the rear are made for a single wheel truck. I'm guessing the blocks for a duelly would be a shade wider. The blocks are Probably wide enough to not have to worry about it though.
i agree they are just releasing liability off them selves for someone putting a big lift on a big truck and not doing there homework
i figure you should be able to use it on the dually just get better wider blocks for the rear :cheers:
Thanks for the feedback!

That makes perfect sense, didn't think about that myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts