Diesel Place banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I would install a fresh OPS with that new lift pump.

1995 trucks need the OPS relay mod installed to help take the electrical load off of the OPS.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/268296-ops-relay-mod-install-1992-1995-obdi-trucks.html
Thanks for the reply! Everything makes sense now I read that thread you linked me. I did not know that when cranking the truck the ECM sends power to the Lift pump. When started the OPS takes over. I measured the voltage on the LP while a buddy of mine cranked the truck... So it probably never received enough/any power while running.. Makes total sense now. Will order a new OPS tomorrow and I'll work on that relay mod after, thanks!:thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Problem solved! Replaced the OPS today and it solved the problem! I made the custom socket for it myself cutting a socket in half, then welding a piece of tube in between. When tightening the OPS down I couldn't get the threads all the way in, I'm scared that if I tighten it any more it might break. Is this normal? For as far as I can see it doesn't leak and it works fine. Thank you all for all the tips and suggestions, helped me out loads!!

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
Problem solved! Replaced the OPS today and it solved the problem! I made the custom socket for it myself cutting a socket in half, then welding a piece of tube in between. When tightening the OPS down I couldn't get the threads all the way in, I'm scared that if I tighten it any more it might break. Is this normal? For as far as I can see it doesn't leak and it works fine. Thank you all for all the tips and suggestions, helped me out loads!!
Be sure to install that OPS relay mod or you will be back in the same situation again.
The relay mod takes the electrical load off of the OPS

·
Registered
849 Posts
Looks a little wet on top of the fuel filter - is that from you bleeding off air or is it leaking just a tad?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Looks a little wet on top of the fuel filter - is that from you bleeding off air or is it leaking just a tad?
Yeah when bleeding the hose got undone and diesel sprayed everywhere, engine bay gonna need a good cleaning haha! Can't see whether it leaks anywhere or not since everything is still wet. I don't drive the truck ATM so no biggie. Will defo give it a good clean and check for any leaks before driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
The next thing I'm looking to do is undercoat my truck.
I think I'll do as followed

1: Use POR-15 rust preventive coating
2: Use a good epoxy primer that will adhere well (not sure which one any suggestions are more than welcome)
3: Finish with a layer or 2 of BedLiner (was thinking U-POL Raptor, but suggestions welcome)
I want to respray my bumpers with the same bedliner to give it a more agressive look, I don't like the chrome and feel like it looks off with my truck being black. I'll go for a black bedliner for the bumpers and a tintable bedliner for the undercoating to let the chassis and control arms etcc stand out more. Would be cool to hear your feedback on what color would look good with the color of my truck, I was thinking maybe a darker / bordeaux red?

The next thing I'll do is weld a custom light bar / bed rack. I literally don't know where to start with this, I have some idea in my head but suggestions and pictures would be very helpful. I cannot seem to find a lot of pictures on google, maybe 'bed rack' isn't the correct name? (language barrier :HiHi: ) I included a picture to show what I mean.

Also a friend of mine is going to the states in a few days, and he will bring back the new fenders and extended cab bottom pieces so I can FINALLY make the truck 100% rust free. I will get these welded in and painted together with the front-grille to get rid of all the chrome, which in my opinion doesn't suite the truck.

Depending on what my budget this year will allow me to spend on the truck the next step is gonna be the lift kit. Still debating between a few brands but at least I found some available for my truck thanks to you guys :thumb: .
In addition to the lift I am looking into wheels&tires lately and was wondering if it's possible to put 35" mud tires on my stock 16" steel dually rims? Obviously I'll get them widened and might even convert to single rear wheels about the same width as the stock dual's, that is, if possible and 'safe enough' not to mess up the entire geometry of the truck and/or mess up the handling completely.
I wouldn't know how to put wider rear wheels on without them hitting each other and the leaf springs, even with spacers I think the width I could go would be limited and would look crooked compared the the width I could do in the front. I'm really breaking my head over this so all feedback's more than welcome!

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
Here are some lighting examples:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'd forget bedlining the frame, if your not perfect with application, and make sure it is 100% rust free, and 100% coverage and 100% adhesion, you'll end up losing the frame before you even realize it's even rusted. Bed liner has its place, and doing things like floorboards and rockers are ok, but a frame I would rather see any damage and spot treat as needed.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I'd forget bedlining the frame, if your not perfect with application, and make sure it is 100% rust free, and 100% coverage and 100% adhesion, you'll end up losing the frame before you even realize it's even rusted. Bed liner has its place, and doing things like floorboards and rockers are ok, but a frame I would rather see any damage and spot treat as needed.

Good point. What would you recommend instead?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Good point. What would you recommend instead?
A good coat or POR-15, Zero-rust or any other rust prohibitive coating. Then a good topcoat with an automotive paint-be careful though, as I know Zero-rust is sensitive to some paints, and so is POR-15. Do up a test piece a few weeks in advance if there is any concern.

If you can do an oil undercoat, that's the next best step, otherwise plan on doing touch ups yearly to keep the rust at bay.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Time for another update. I found that after i removed the diesel tank and reinstalled it, it leaked. First I thought it was one of the lines, but checked them and not a drop. Ended up removing the tank again and found a rusted out patch which I poked right through with a screwdriver... Welded in a new piece (yes it looks awful but it does the job, hard to weld such thin material) and applied metal epoxy to ensure it wouldn't leak. While at it I also hit the tank with a wire wheel and applied anti rust.

The next thing I started on was removing the awful plastic bedliner and some metal plates in the bed (which I have no clue what their purpose was, maybe some sort of towing device?)
Next I sanded the entire bed and removed any rust and applied primer.
I went for the Raptor U-POL bedliner which I will be applying tomorrow. I will also coat my bumpers with the bedliner since I don't like the chrome and want to give it a bit more tough look.
Also Iplan on putting bedliner on the inside of my fenders / cab corners for protection.

I'm thinking of doing a strip of bedliner from the bottom up to the first bodyline also, to protect the body when off-roading, but I'm not sure about this yet. The Raptor U-POL is also available in a tintable version, so maybe I can do something cool with it.

Next step will be upholstery and re-doing my headliner since it looks awful.
Any tips for removing the headliner? I was thinking removing the rear window since it leaks anyway and has to be re-fitted, but I don't want to damage the rubber..
I'll probably re-do the interior upholstery in a darker-red style fabric.

End of this month my fenders and cab-corner pieces will be shipped from Florida so hopefully they will arrive soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Apparently my truck has had an stack exhaust in the past, shame they removed it... Not sure what I'll do with the hole, I'm leaving it for the time being, might consider reinstalling the stack...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Done! So happy with the result, turned out so much better than I expected! Great product!!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Today I replaced the starter motor since it started 'locking up' more often.
What a pain in the ass that is! Could barely get to the little bolt on the top holding it in place. Took me 2 hours just to replace the thing.

Also found out where my oil leak is coming from, it's not much but I'm afraid it will get worse over time. I'm pretty sure it's the belt-side crankshaft seal ring... Never replaced it before so I think that's gonna be a huge pain.
I will soon replace all x-joints and driveshaft center bearing just as preventive maintenance. While at it I will probably throw an engine and tranny oil/filter change as well. Then work on a way to mount motorcycles in the back (some kind of railing system) and it should be all set for holiday!

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Reactions: Thijmen156

·
Registered
284 Posts
Painted the grille Black. Looks SO much better in my opinion.
I was considering doing that to my black '93... now I KNOW I will!!

Good job!:thumb:

:cool2:

Reactions: Thijmen156
81 - 100 of 104 Posts