Diesel Place banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The AC/Delco EP 158 is the lift pump of choice if you can find one in your area.
It has a slightly better fuel flow as reported here in the forum
I ended up buying the 158 like you suggested. Just replaced it, bled the fuel system and did the t-valve test again like you described. Last time it ran for 11 seconds and then died, this time it ran f or 22 seconds before it died. Still no fuel came out of the T-valve though. Next step will be dropping the tank and replacing the 'sock'.

·
Administrator
16,274 Posts
I ended up buying the 158 like you suggested. Just replaced it, bled the fuel system and did the t-valve test again like you described. Last time it ran for 11 seconds and then died, this time it ran f or 22 seconds before it died. Still no fuel came out of the T-valve though. Next step will be dropping the tank and replacing the 'sock'.
Verify you have 12v. electrical power going to the lift pump.
I would remove the FFM, clean it and then blow some compressed air through the water in fuel drain line, with the T valve open, to clear any possible blockage.

If you replace the tank sock, only use AC/Delco #TS 1012

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Verify you have 12v. electrical power going to the lift pump.
I would remove the FFM, clean it and then blow some compressed air through the water in fuel drain line, with the T valve open, to clear any possible blockage.

If you replace the tank sock, only use AC/Delco #TS 1012
Thanks, I do indeed have 12v, measured this before.
Will do these steps next. Truck is in lockup until Februari so can't do a testdrive unfortunately.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm in a bit of a financial struggle lately so unfortunately not able to do a lot. Yesterday the stuttering came back also. Gonna test my lift pump asap.
Also the truck is gonna go in lockup tomorrow since they started using salt on the roads. Will probably stay in the lockup until the end of February, then finally the big mods are gonna come :bigglasse
1 more season of salt aint gonna do anymore damage than already done - besides if that things a 4x4 its more fun in the snow!

I drove CJ5 jeeps for 30+ years...the absolute funnest road vehicle in the snow ever! But these Big Old Chevys are snow eating machines in 4x4 mode go have some fun!

Reactions: MrMarty51

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'm in a bit of a financial struggle lately so unfortunately not able to do a lot. Yesterday the stuttering came back also. Gonna test my lift pump asap.
Also the truck is gonna go in lockup tomorrow since they started using salt on the roads. Will probably stay in the lockup until the end of February, then finally the big mods are gonna come
1 more season of salt aint gonna do anymore damage than already done - besides if that things a 4x4 its more fun in the snow!

I drove CJ5 jeeps for 30+ years...the absolute funnest road vehicle in the snow ever! But these Big Old Chevys are snow eating machines in 4x4 mode go have some fun!
Haha I feel you man, but I don?t think we?re getting any snow this year.. And if we get any it?s only a few inches at most. On top of that my country is full of people that feel the need to be bitching against one another, so if I go snowing with the thing I probably won?t even last 10 minutes before cops show up because some ******* called them (this literally happened last year when I took my Chevy Van snowing on an empty parking lot). On top of that I pay a rediculous sum of ?230 (to be raised to ?255 in 2018) (around $280) a MONTH in road taxes. Hate my country and it?s people haha! So yeah I really need these few months to save some cash to be able to get the lift installed before spring. Bought an old beater which I could always take snowing, that is if we get any haha

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Took the truck out of lockup since my beater winter-car died. The fuel problem seems to be gone! Nevertheless I will clean out the fuel tank/lines in the Spring.
Ordered new brake-discs and pads to solve the 'jerking' while braking. Had the exact same prob on my Chevy Van and new discs solved it. The rotors on these vehicles seem to bend pretty quick.. I also ordered something fun which hopefully will come in next Saturday as well as the rotors and pads.

When all is installed I'm gonna have to start looking for a shop that is able to do a proper alignment, since the truck pulls to the right when driving, and to the left when applying the brakes.

The lift kit might take longer than expected since I'm having difficulties transporting it, and I refuse to pay an additional 1k on taxes and import rights. So I think I will start with some towing mirrors and additional lights instead.
Also unfortunately cracked my right-rear fender, backed up into a pole I couldn't see, so gonna have to fix that too in Spring..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Move over to Eastern Montana. Not many people and We all are snow crazy.
Those road taxes You have are insane, here the road tax is made up in the price of fuel, not any wheres near as much as You are paying.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Move over to Eastern Montana. Not many people and We all are snow crazy.
Those road taxes You have are insane, here the road tax is made up in the price of fuel, not any wheres near as much as You are paying.
Man, I wish.. If one day I get the opportunity and funds to move I won't hesitate a second. Road taxes are beyond insane here indeed. Not to mention that gas and Diesel are probably twice as expensive here as well, $5,55 a gallon for diesel, and $7,20 a gallon of Gas..:mad:

·
Administrator
16,274 Posts
Diesel $2.53
Gasoline $2.19

In my local area

Reactions: MrMarty51

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Diesel $2.53
Gasoline $2.19

In my local area
Wow, what a difference haha! Unreal!
So against all odds, we got snow yesterday! And quite a bit for our standards. And I have to admit you all are right, this thing is a beast in the snow! In 2wd it’s almost impossible not to slide, yet in 4wd, damn what a grip compared to other cars! This thing just sticks to the road. But when you hit the accelerator good in 4wd this thing drifts like crazy, and pretty easy to control too! Had some crazy fun yesterday haha now let’s hope no one called the cops on me. I did notice that my fuel problem is still there tho when drifting, it asks for alot of fuel and if I keep doing donuts it dies down due to lack of fuel.. oh well was gonna drop the tank anyway.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Dang! Where's the GoPro video? No pics at least?

Cold enough to snow here, but only in the mountains so far.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Dang! Where's the GoPro video? No pics at least?

Cold enough to snow here, but only in the mountains so far.
I was gonna make a GoPro video. But you're not gonna believe this. I was planning on making the gopro vid today since we got an additional 4" of snow today. Yesterday evening around 8PM doorbell rings. Cops... Someone actually called the cops on me for towing a sled behind my truck with a few mates on a deserted piece of grass in the middle of nowhere.. They also started threatening me to revoke my license if they'd spot me drifting in the snow anywhere... This **** is starting to get old :banghead: 'Funny' thing is I livee in one of the least crowded areas of my country, if I'd do it in the middle of a city I'd somewhat understand. But come on, I was in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't private property either.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was gonna make a GoPro video. But you're not gonna believe this. I was planning on making the gopro vid today since we got an additional 4" of snow today. Yesterday evening around 8PM doorbell rings. Cops... Someone actually called the cops on me for towing a sled behind my truck with a few mates on a deserted piece of grass in the middle of nowhere.. They also started threatening me to revoke my license if they'd spot me drifting in the snow anywhere... This **** is starting to get old :banghead: 'Funny' thing is I livee in one of the least crowded areas of my country, if I'd do it in the middle of a city I'd somewhat understand. But come on, I was in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't private property either.
:hehe: Early evening visit by the po-po...something no one wants!

Normally I'd be on your side about getting hassled about playing in the snow a little...but towing people behind a vehicle is a :badidea: in any country!

That will be one of those things you look back upon when you get older and go ...yeah...that's something I shouldn't have been doing!

·
Administrator
16,274 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Torque Specs for most everything is listed in the FAQ:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3036559-post2.html
Thanks!

1 side done, at least that is what I thought until I found out I forgot to put the rotor shield back in between :banghead:. Totally my stupid fault. At first I thought it wouldn't be an issue but now the rotor is barely touching the metal, so have to take it all apart tomorrow... Hopefully the rotor will come off easier than the old one.
Finished the other side, just to find out the piston in the brake caliper doesn't wanna be pushed back.. Gonna have to try with some more force tomorrow, hopefully it'll budge, if not I'm gonna have to order new brake calipers and wait 2 weeks for them to arrive..

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thanks!

1 side done, at least that is what I thought until I found out I forgot to put the rotor shield back in between :banghead:. Totally my stupid fault. At first I thought it wouldn't be an issue but now the rotor is barely touching the metal, so have to take it all apart tomorrow... Hopefully the rotor will come off easier than the old one.
Finished the other side, just to find out the piston in the brake caliper doesn't wanna be pushed back.. Gonna have to try with some more force tomorrow, hopefully it'll budge, if not I'm gonna have to order new brake calipers and wait 2 weeks for them to arrive..
Do yourself a favor - since you're not driving rig right now...replace the calipers, and brake lines while you're doing it. Yeah, you'll have to bleed the brakes but that's not that bad.

Re-check your front hubs too...shame to do all that work and have a bad hub(s) and have to do it all again.

Of course replacing hubs isn't cheap or easy but they do wear out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
It's been a while! Today I started on the truck's fuel problem. Dropped the tank, disconnected all fuel lines and cleaned them. Ran the fuel pump in a bucket with diesel to make sure there was nothing clogged in the sending unit, still not a drop at the t-valve.. Ended up removing the entire FFM, and did a bench test from the fuel tank with the lines and 12v from a spare battery. For some reason I DO get pressure at the hose to the t-valve now... That means the pump should give plenty of pressure, so I think for some reason the pump doesn't get continuous 12v. I did measure before with the engine running and it did get 12v at the meter so I'm confused.. Maybe some idiot tampered with the wires to the pump sometime and connected them the wrong way? Meaning the wires measure 12v but don't drive the pump? I'm gonna reinstall everything and run the pump directly from the battery, see what happens..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Ha! Just reinstalled the entire system except the fuel tank, this time ran the lift pump from my spare battery, works like a charm! I had a buddy of mine run the pump on the battery, while I bled the fuel filter with the T-valve. Then started the truck still with my buddy running the lift pump from the spare battery, truck started immediately. Opened T-valve and a nice steady flow came out, had it open for like 2 minutes and the truck ran without a single sputter!:coolnana:
Guess I'll have to find a way to bypass the oil pressure switch and power the pump directly from a wire with power while ignition on.

·
Administrator
16,274 Posts
61 - 80 of 104 Posts