Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
The bleeder screw test is not an accurate flow test..

The proper flow :

The 1994+ Model Year lift pump should deliver fuel with a minimum volume of at least 0.24 liter (1/2 pint) in 15 seconds and pressure of 3 psi minimum with the engine cranking, the ESO disconnected, and the fuel line open after the filter to an approved canister

The easiest way to test the lift pump is to have the engine running, open the T Valve for a minimum of 30 seconds and let fuel flow from the drain line into a container.

If during that timeframe the engine dies or there is no fuel flowing from the line, the lift pump is too weak to support the engine.

Reactions: MrMarty51

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

The proper flow :

The 1994+ Model Year lift pump should deliver fuel with a minimum volume of at least 0.24 liter (1/2 pint) in 15 seconds and pressure of 3 psi minimum with the engine cranking, the ESO disconnected, and the fuel line open after the filter to an approved canister

The easiest way to test the lift pump is to have the engine running, open the T Valve for a minimum of 30 seconds and let fuel flow from the drain line into a container.

If during that timeframe the engine dies or there is no fuel flowing from the line, the lift pump is too weak to support the engine.
I did figure that bleeder thing might not be an accurate way to test it, so thanks for confirming that.
I was gonna test it with the T valve today, but then it seems like the problem has been solved, so I don't really wanna push my luck and test it now. As soon as it occurs again I will test it with the T-valve. Thanks again!

·
Registered
132 Posts

The proper flow :

I have never tested the lift pump on My truck, might just do that to be sure it is up to the task. seems simple enough but what is the ESO that needs to be disconnected for the cranking test ?

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
I have never tested the lift pump on My truck, might just do that to be sure it is up to the task. seems simple enough but what is the ESO that needs to be disconnected for the cranking test ?
That should be the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid on top of the IP

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So far so good! Driven quite a bit today and the problem hasn't come back!

The way things are looking now I will most likely order the lift kit late December.
I will most likely go for this one:
https://liftkits4less.com/5-7-superlift-suspension-lift-kit-for-chevrolet-gmc-2500-3500-8-lug-4x4#

One thing I'm worried about though is Axle Wrap, and if I should be worried about it with this lift kit...
I would like to hear some thoughts about this. If I need to order traction bars it will be cheaper to let it all ship in one go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So far so good! Driven quite a bit today and the problem hasn't come back!

The way things are looking now I will most likely order the lift kit late December.
I will most likely go for this one:
https://liftkits4less.com/5-7-superlift-suspension-lift-kit-for-chevrolet-gmc-2500-3500-8-lug-4x4#

One thing I'm worried about though is Axle Wrap, and if I should be worried about it with this lift kit...
I would like to hear some thoughts about this. If I need to order traction bars it will be cheaper to let it all ship in one go.
Debating between the SuperLift and the TuffCountry:

https://www.truckspring.com/products/Tuff-Country-6-Inch-Lift-Kit-With-SX8000-Shocks__TC-16813KN.aspx#product-details

The TuffCountry has added leafs where the SuperLift only comes with blocks..

·
Registered
849 Posts
Debating between the SuperLift and the TuffCountry:

https://www.truckspring.com/products/Tuff-Country-6-Inch-Lift-Kit-With-SX8000-Shocks__TC-16813KN.aspx#product-details

The TuffCountry has added leafs where the SuperLift only comes with blocks..
Hello!

You know I prefer non-lifted trucks but here's my €.02!

Just looking at the pictures alone..I'd spend the extra € and get the TuffCountry...seriously look at the difference in the cradle alone!

for €300 +- well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hello!

You know I prefer non-lifted trucks but here's my €.02!

Just looking at the pictures alone..I'd spend the extra € and get the TuffCountry...seriously look at the difference in the cradle alone!

for €300 +- well worth it IMO.
Help me out with the word 'cradle' please, no idea what it means :hehe:

I see your point though!
I'd prefer a knuckle lift kit to a bracket one, but I don't think they made any knuckle kits for the K-series Chevrolet.
Also the extra leafs instead of just blocks appeal to me.
Only thing is it says new rims are required with a backspacing of 4.5" or less.
Hopefully my stock rims will fit for a few months at least because I won't have the money to get new rims and tires right away :hehe:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just found out that if I ship/import the kit the legal way, I have to pay an additional 600 euro's in taxes and other bullshit in my stupid country. No way I'm ever gonna pay that.

No idea what to do next.. Sending the goods as a 'gift' doesn't work anymore, since you still get charged from gifts from outside Europe (welcome to *****ing Holland...)

Maybe gonna have to ship it to a different country in Europe and pick it up over there..

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Just found out that if I ship/import the kit the legal way, I have to pay an additional 600 euro's in taxes and other bullshit in my stupid country. No way I'm ever gonna pay that.

No idea what to do next.. Sending the goods as a 'gift' doesn't work anymore, since you still get charged from gifts from outside Europe (welcome to *****ing Holland...)

Maybe gonna have to ship it to a different country in Europe and pick it up over there..
Are there any companies that carry lift kits over there?
Maybe the local auto parts store can give a suggestion??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Are there any companies that carry lift kits over there?
Maybe the local auto parts store can give a suggestion??
Nope lift kits don't exist in Europe as far as I know of. Definitely not in my country. Could ask but in my experience I know more about USA cars / parts etcc than any parts store I visited so far.. Neither do they import anything from the USA..
Damn I hate my country :banghead:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Help me out with the word 'cradle' please, no idea what it means :hehe:

I see your point though!
I'd prefer a knuckle lift kit to a bracket one, but I don't think they made any knuckle kits for the K-series Chevrolet.
Also the extra leafs instead of just blocks appeal to me.
Only thing is it says new rims are required with a backspacing of 4.5" or less.
Hopefully my stock rims will fit for a few months at least because I won't have the money to get new rims and tires right away :hehe:
OK - someone correct me if I'm wrong on the terminology but the part in the center is what I termed "cradle"..

There's a significant difference between the 2!

Generally the LiftKits for less stuff - looks like it :boxing:

If I had to only choose between the 2... for an extra 300.00 (usd) I'd pick the one on the right!

·
Registered
137 Posts
How?s the truck coming along these days

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
How?s the truck coming along these days
I'm in a bit of a financial struggle lately so unfortunately not able to do a lot. Yesterday the stuttering came back also. Gonna test my lift pump asap.
Also the truck is gonna go in lockup tomorrow since they started using salt on the roads. Will probably stay in the lockup until the end of February, then finally the big mods are gonna come :bigglasse

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

The proper flow :

So I just tried this. Connected a transparent tube to the T Valve into a cup, had the truck idle and opened up the valve. A few drops came out, nothing more and the truck died after just 11 seconds... Guess I found my problem?

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
So I just tried this. Connected a transparent tube to the T Valve into a cup, had the truck idle and opened up the valve. A few drops came out, nothing more and the truck died after just 11 seconds... Guess I found my problem?
Lift pump is bad..

Reactions: Thijmen156

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Lift pump is bad..
Will order a new one today. Could it also be dirt building op in the little filter in the fuel tank itself? Meaning that the pump cannot suck enough fuel from the tank? Hopefully a new lift pump will solve it...

I also heard about these Fass 90 fuel pumps. Not sure if they're for the 6.5 but they definately are available for the Duramax. Might upgrade to one of those in the future

FASS Fuel Systems Titanium Series Diesel Fuel Pump Class 8 Semi | FASS Fuel Pumps

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Will order a new one today. Could it also be dirt building op in the little filter in the fuel tank itself? Meaning that the pump cannot suck enough fuel from the tank? Hopefully a new lift pump will solve it...

I also heard about these Fass 90 fuel pumps. Not sure if they're for the 6.5 but they definately are available for the Duramax. Might upgrade to one of those in the future

FASS Fuel Systems Titanium Series Diesel Fuel Pump Class 8 Semi | FASS Fuel Pumps
As with any vehicle that is 20+ years old, preventative maintenance is a must.

When you fill a tank with a few thousand liters of fuel over those years things will need attention like rusty, leaking fuel lines, clogged fuel sock, tank delamination, etc..

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
The AC/Delco EP 158 is the lift pump of choice if you can find one in your area.
It has a slightly better fuel flow as reported here in the forum

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The AC/Delco EP 158 is the lift pump of choice if you can find one in your area.
It has a slightly better fuel flow as reported here in the forum
I just ordered the AC Delco EP309 on Rockauto.com. Just seen your post too late haha! Hopefully the EP309 is as good as the 158..

41 - 60 of 104 Posts