Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Arms are off the truck. I cut the rivets on the bottom side of the arm and cant get them tapped through the top. No air tools here but I can bring them to work and probably try an air hammer there. I did make a jig from wood to hold a big punch, soaked them well and took a Bf sledge at em but no dice. Will a hydraulic press get em? Im picking up a 20 Ton press tomorrow. Any tips? I really enjoy doing things the hard way. Ill post a picture later.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Impact sockets make great press furniture. I wrecked my dads press the last go round because the hardened nose fell out and I used it in the darkish garage without noticing, now I have to buy one anyway, what press are you looking at.

If the press doesn't get it or you don't get the press, heat the material surrounding the rivet while trying to avoid the rivet cherry red with a torch then pound it out. Should move then.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Impact sockets make great press furniture. I wrecked my dads press the last go round because the hardened nose fell out and I used it in the darkish garage without noticing, now I have to buy one anyway, what press are you looking at.
Im buying a press for the bushings. We had one at work but nobody knows where it went:eek: This is from Harbour freight. Normally $199.99 there this is on sale. Ive always wanted a press for bearings and such and id think this will do. I dont know about those rivits though. I want to get the bushings and ball joints done today and assembly it tomorrow (Tuesday)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Did you consider drilling them out? It's always worked for me.

Reactions: bk95td and jrsavoie

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you consider drilling them out? It's always worked for me.
Yes i was thinking about that last night after I beat on them for a while. Ill drill one out later today and see how it goes.

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts

Yes i was thinking about that last night after I beat on them for a while. Ill drill one out later today and see how it goes.
Highly recomment Cobalt drill bits. Expensive but they last. I noticed the other day HD now has Milwaukee Cobalt drill bits. I found the ones I used at ACE Hdwe. Otherwise plan on using a Censored ton of drill bits.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I have had em tap out and had em tear up drill bits and still not come out. Don't seem to be any consistency.

I have one of those cheap presses and its sometimes useful but other times not. The carriage part is just a little too sloppy to get a straight square shot at some things. The other thing I keep meaning to do is design and semi permanently attach some sort of crank arm thing to the lowering valve. It can be a pain when you got something half stuck to try and get the cheapo handle moved to the lowering valve.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok I have a ton of cobalt bits Freddy so good there. I just got moving so im going to look at this cheap ass press in an hour or so. They have 4 of them on hand but I dont know if theres one on the floor.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Drilling ball joint rivets out is a job everyone should try..........once :hehe:

'Course after drilling them out once, much easier with the bolts :coolnana:
I have worked out a method for drilling out the lower ones that involves a fulcrum and pry bar or 2x4 on the back of the drill. The leverage makes it so much easier. Uppers are harder but at least you are leaning down on them instead of trying to push up.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Is my Sub odd? My lowers were just pressed in (no rivets).

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is my Sub odd? My lowers were just pressed in (no rivets).
I keep reading 6.5 suburbans are odd in numerous ways so yes its odd. On the other hand while reading some old threads I came across info that there was a switch from rivets to pressed at some point but this may not have been 1 ton trucks idk.

On another note heres how far ive gotten. This get older and working nights is starting to take a toll.

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well got this press set up. Didnt mess with the rivets yet but did press one upper arm bushings and installed ball joint:HiHi:. I think saving the $100 over buying moog complete upper arms was worth buying the press and doing it myself. Not very fun though. This press is marginal at best. Ill report back with the findings on these rivits. May have to drill:hole:

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Morning guys back at it here early. The first drilling actually wasn't too bad. About 2 minutes each. I sharpened my bit before each one. Well see what happens.

Attachments

Reactions: guybb3

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Ah JC, that looks totally different from mine. My lower control arm is a complete circle around the ball joint. Difference is easy to see with your picture.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Angel grinder and grind them off and smash them trough with a punch!

nice press BTW

Reactions: JCDiesel

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,460 Posts

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Angel grinder and grind them off and smash them trough with a punch!

nice press BTW
The other side is ground off. No go with a punch I made a jig with a 4x4 to hold the punch and swung a sledge hammer at it with no luck :eek: you can see i ground one rivit on the bottom side of one of them and tried punching it through the other way also. Top ones weee no problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts