Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to get my 96 squared away and got most of the mods I've wanted to do to it, so I can finally start this project I've been itching to get to for quite some time.
I picked this truck up locally off of Facebook back in 2015. It was an impulse buy. Its a super clean 1994 K1500 SLE with the Z71 package. I plan to give it to my daughter when she turns 16, which gives me about a year, year in a half, to get it in tip top shape. Plus, I think it will be a good project for her and myself to do together.
I paid $800 for it, with the knowledge that it needed transmission work and the fuel tank leaks. It has 280K on it, but the engine ran excellent. It has the 599 block. The body is in great shape and 100% rust free local AZ truck. There is a few mickey mouse repairs the previous owner did that I need to set straight as well as a few other repairs/upgrades it needs. My intentions for documenting this thread is to keep me motivated as well as hopefully get some suggestions as I go along. So feel free to comment or ask questions.

1st item of business is get it pushed in the shop and get some roller tires on it. I need to fix or replace the fuel tank, as it will not currently hold diesel very long. Im guessing a rock or something got between the tank and skid plate and rubbed a hole. The transmission is a rebuilt unit from A some trans shop in Phoenix, so once I get it running, I can diagnose it further.

My priority for this project is dependability and fuel economy. My daughter Lucy's priority, is good tunes and air conditioning...LOL. Id like to keep it original and stock with the exception of the usual upgrades and improvements.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I like the 2A, are those all your toys?

and Good luck with the Project, hopefully any tranny problems reside in electrical if it was a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the 2A, are those all your toys?

and Good luck with the Project, hopefully any tranny problems reside in electrical if it was a rebuild.

Ya, I have the 42 jeep and a 53 pickup. I learned to drive the 53 when I was 10. Got pulled over in it when I was 13 and got 3 tickets. I have enough projects to last 2 lifetimes. I kinda got crazy with the IH's and Farmall tractors there for a while....

Im really hoping the trans is an easy fix. So far, the crap on the dipstick doesn't look promising, but Ill know more once I get it running. I found a good tank at the salvage yard today and ordered a brand new fuel pickup. Should have it running soon.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
FYI the fuel pickups come with the wrong sock, look in the FAQ of the 6.5 section, think the part number is tf1102, but likely wrong.

I know what it's like with too many projects, I only have 4 vehicles in need of total restoration, plus a running driving on going restoration, the '91 I want on the road by new years, and the current 85 GMC daily driver.....still want more...

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI the fuel pickups come with the wrong sock, look in the FAQ of the 6.5 section, think the part number is tf1102, but likely wrong.

I know what it's like with too many projects, I only have 4 vehicles in need of total restoration, plus a running driving on going restoration, the '91 I want on the road by new years, and the current 85 GMC daily driver.....still want more...

About fuel sock - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Hope that works, but the correct number was TS1012, not whatever I stated before (close though, only 1 letter wrong and swapped 2 numbers)

Thanks for the heads up. I did order the AC Delco pickup, so I hope its right. I will know today.

Ive also picked up a used tank from the wrecking yard yesterday, rather than trying to weld or repair my original one. Getting them cleaned up and ready to install when I get a moment. I hope I have some time over the Christmas holiday. Pics and updates coming soon.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went and picked up some parts today. Grabbed a really nice fuel tank from the wrecking yard. As well as a new sending unit, upper and lower rad hoses, and surge tank from the dealer. I also have a new radiator coming later today. The reason I am changing the radiator and hoses is because the P.O. installed a radiator that looks like its out of a early 6.2 vehicle. They bypassed the surge tank and mickey moused the hoses. It worked, but it drives me nuts that it not right.

The fuel pickup looks like the correct one. I ordered it from the dealer and the box was covered in dust...I think its been sitting in the warehouse for a while though....

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,661 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Nice parts score :thumb:
Although the tank sock appears to be a gasser.

Here is some info on the tank sock issue:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/637953-our-1995-chevy-suburban-6.html#post6620705
No that's the right sock, gasser socks don't have a bypass valve, that one has the bypass valve, you can tell because the pick up is on the side of the sock not the end.

Good score indeed.

Is the other radiator good? Not so sure on shipping but I may be interested if nothing is wrong with it and/or you plan on tossing it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice parts score :thumb:
Although the tank sock appears to be a gasser.

Here is some info on the tank sock issue:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/637953-our-1995-chevy-suburban-6.html#post6620705

The AC Delco fuel pickup assembly # is FLS1061. And yes, it does have the bypass in it. I got it from the dealer via my VIN number. It looks identical to the original....

No that's the right sock, gasser socks don't have a bypass valve, that one has the bypass valve, you can tell because the pick up is on the side of the sock not the end.

Good score indeed.

Is the other radiator good? Not so sure on shipping but I may be interested if nothing is wrong with it and/or you plan on tossing it.

Ya, the radiator is good. It holds coolant. Its Just not correct for the 94. It actually fits pretty good as far as the shroud goes, but I want to keep everything semi original....plus, im not into the spark plugs, dowels, and hose clamps the po used to block off the surge tank. Pm me your zip code/address and Ill see what it will cost to ship. Ill take some better pics tonight and some measurements...Im only guessing it is a 6.2 rad.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got alot done last night. Got the "new" tank installed. The sending unit was the right one. It was identical to the old one. Marking numbers were even correct.

I also changed the oil with some amsoil 15w40. And changed the rear diff fluid with amsoil 75w110 synthetic. I even found out it has 3:73's with gov loc. I had some BG locker additive, so i threw that in. Then i swapped the lift pump while i was under there to my 93 ac delco pump i had.

The battery cables were a joke. So i went ahead and made 2/0 cables for it and put in Some fresh red tops. Primed the fuel drain and the filter. Fired right up after a little cranking. It was about 45 degrees last night, and the glow plugs seemed to do fine. Engine runs awesome. Motor mounts are shot. Not looking forward to that. I flipping hate changine motor mounts on these trucks. I plan to do the poly mod mounts. Ill never use chinese ones again...i learned my lesson on that one.

On to the trans. It was 2 qts low. After filling it, it "acted like it wants to move. If i take it easy on the throttle, itll go. Too much power and it slips. If i start in manual low, and manual shift it, it has first and second gears only. If i start out in OD....it only stays in 1st. Also, when i put it in gear, the SES light comes on. Take it out of gear, SES light goes out. I also think the seal between the t case is blown out. T case was way over filled. My hopes of an easy fix is dwindling. I cant see what codes it has. My scanner only goes down to 1996. Ill have to try to borrow an obd1 scanner.
The trans is a reman with not very many miles....anyone have any ideas? If the seal blows out between the t case and trans, will that cause what its doing? Or is that what smoked the trans in the 1st place?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been getting a lot done to the truck. After messing with the trans a bit, I pulled the pan and half the inards were sitting in the bottom of the pan. Spent quiet a few days juggling rebuilding it myself, or a reman. I got pretty lucky and found a guy selling one on Craigslist for $900. He is a retired transmission rebuilder and had been building them for 30 years. Rolled the dice and so far I am happy with it. Has all the updates and everything installed. He is located in Glendale which is over 3 hours from me and he even met me halfway. had a business card, invoice and said he'd warranty the trans for 1 year unlimited mileage. After visiting with him, I was put at ease. He even got me the correct diesel converter. I am extremely happy with the way it shifts. Got it installed. Replaced the transfer case input and output seals. And filled it with Amsoil synthetic fluid.

Next up was the motor mounts. they were laying on the frame and rattled your teeth when the truck was idling. Easy to do and much beefier and easier to install than the Chinese piece of craps. Best mod so far.

Next was the cooling system. I wanted to swap it back to the original recovery tank style. New rad, new pressure tank, cap, t stat housing, tstat, and all new hoses. Flushed and ready to roll.

I didn't get pics, but I went ahead and pulled the intake to fix a diesel leak from the FFM. Went ahead and did the FTB mod with the fittings I ordered from Quadstar Tuning. I also drilled and tapped the FFM and swapped all the o rings. New AC Delco OPS to match the AC Delco 1993 LP.

I also ordered a 3" down pipe from Summit. And did 3" straight piped all the way back.

Painted the original wheels with hammer tone paint to match the truck and saddled the wheels with 4 brand new Cooper ST Discoverer Maxx tires in 235-85-16's.

This truck will make a great truck for my daughter and is an absolute pleasure to drive. I need to rebuild the front end and do the torsion leveling kit. More to come.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
more pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went on a little test drive up to the cabin 150 mile round trip. Ran great except I had to wire the wastegate shut...i think the vacuum pump, or solenoid is weak...had surging boost. I plan to get a turbo master and delete the vacuum pump. Need to replentish my truck funds 1st. More to come....

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts