Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i brought this truck yesterday for $500. it needs some work, but its solid. i am going to see if i can make a tow truck wrecker out of it. the previous owner replaced the stock lift pump with a carter 152-875. he said it did not last a year. when i got it back home i replaced the carter unit with a mr gasket diesel pump from auto zone. the carter pump seems so much better and ill prob get another. truck is running. there are some other issues along the line with power getting to the pump itself. the pmd unit has been relocated to the front bumper with an aftermarket kit. its on a heat sink and the wiring looks good. looks like a fairly new injection pump on it. when i jumped power to the firewall mounted fuse the pump comes on. i took off the connector to the black oil switch behind the intake and put it back on. the pump worked as it should. came back the next day and it took a few key cycles to get it going.

what should i look at as far as power being killed to the pump? do you think this is what killed the carter pump? is the carter 152-875 rated for diesel?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Get the AC-Delco lift pump for a 1993 year 6.5TD.

If I recall, the 1994 year ran directly off the oil pressure sensor (separate wire for guage) there is an upgrade to that lift pump circuit to take 5he load off that switch. I would be willing to bet your switch is going bad, providing intermittent power to the lift pump.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,705 Posts
X2^^ Lift Pump is Powered through the OPS. Replace the OPS and add the OPS Relay Mod listed in the FAQ section of 6.5L forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. what is the recommended lift pump. the mr gasket one seemed kinda cheap. i havent came accross anyone runnig one. it was rated as 4-7 psi 35 gph. is that enough. or should i look into another carter pump. not sure if this carter pump was rated for diesel. the lines were already cut so i cant put a factory pump back in unless i run new lines.

·
Administrator
15,705 Posts
thanks guys. what is the recommended lift pump. the mr gasket one seemed kinda cheap. i havent came accross anyone runnig one. it was rated as 4-7 psi 35 gph. is that enough. or should i look into another carter pump. not sure if this carter pump was rated for diesel. the lines were already cut so i cant put a factory pump back in unless i run new lines.
I would look at the Walbro pump, Leroy Diesel offers :HiHi:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Leroy is also selling a Carter 4160hp pump now. He sold me on one, says its as good or better than the Walbro. He no longer sells the FRC-10 Walbro, says they were getting hard to get. Carter I got from him seems good, comes with its own mount. We will see how good it is when I get it installed.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,734 Posts
rated as 4-7 psi 35 gph.
The 93 model year LP spec is better.
You need around 10 psi at the LP to get around 3-4 psi at the Injector Pump.

The 93 model year LP is spec at 9-14 psi.

The weakest link for 93-95 model year is the OPS.
Make sure you put on ACDelco OPS only not any other brand.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
My 99 has a Carter P4594 on it that is going on 10 years old.
Worked so well I bought a spare thinking it would eventually quit but still going strong.
I have never had an OEM LP last more than 2-3 years. YMMV

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the carter p4594 is cheaper than the mr gasket i just put on. ill order one and put it on. luckly its the same setup as the carter i just took off so it will be a direct mount on. as far as the wiring i can make the relay switch myself, with the must button to prime. its basically the same setup we used on the hondas when we put bigger pumps on. i am looking up the ac delco oil pressure sensor now. thanks for the good info.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
12555492 - AC Delco Oil Pressure Switch diesel 19244501, D1808A

1 - 10 of 10 Posts