Diesel Place banner

1994 6.5 tb questions about nitro obd2?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  57diesel 
#1 ·
I co worker gave this thing that plugs into the plug it says for 96 and up. I didn't know what to think about this thing so I will paste a picture here soon from my phone. He has one for his suv that is gas and he says that he can spin the tires now and he gets better fuel mileage if he keeps his foot off of there lol

#2 ·
Transparency Auto part Plastic

#3 ·
Your 94' is OBDI. The computer has an EPROM and that performance chip is for OBDII, It will not work for your truck

#4 ·
Technology Electronic device Headset Audio equipment Headphones

#5 ·
Ok thank you

#7 ·
I co worker gave this thing that plugs into the plug it says for 96 and up. I didn't know what to think about this thing so I will paste a picture here soon from my phone. He has one for his suv that is gas and he says that he can spin the tires now and he gets better fuel mileage if he keeps his foot off of there lol
So, as you stated in the post:
1. 96 and up whichi is OBD2.
2. For gas.

There is not much we can do with our platform, honestly.
People all over the years have tried and the only one is to get a reflashed ECM whether it is OBD-1 or OBD-2.
You can always try it in the Toyota.

#8 · (Edited)
Actually the red unit as shown in the pic is for diesel engines. Gas are yellow. Reviews are mixed on these plug in OBD2 only chips. Some say they are great. Some say worthless. They work in some engines and not on others
.Have been known to damage PCM. I am sure made in china. If you trust china then go ahead and plug it in.
But do some reasearch first. Most of those cheap plug in chips are scams. IMO there is no way they can pack enough computing power into something that small to make a difference. I would not risk running one.

#9 ·
So for these to do anything they would have to do something like pull the vin then have a lookup table of what is possible with different vehicles and then if yours is on the list and has something to exploit exploit it. Other than some research on what is easily exploited on common vehicles the hardware isn't likely that expensive or complicated.

My guess is what is most commonly exploited is some sort of testing modes. I don't think there is a way these can be faking or altering signals. To make a change other than some sort of testing modes they would have to identify and re write some values in the programing. Maybe they do? and that is what crashes some? I can't imagine that that would be very easy to do for multiple brands and years. Scan tools have trouble doing that and cost a heck of a lot more.

There are a lot of videos of techie people tearing these types of units down and it does appear that a vast majority of them are just a blinking light. Some do have a communications chip on a data line but don't seem to ever be communicating with anything. Makes me think they were designed to do something maybe those insurance tracking devices but had some sort of defect so someone bought them cheap and re packaged them as magic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.