Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a question, if the ignition switch is going bad will it cause the head lights not to work too. My truck is acting up it. I went to start it to leave from work yesterday it turned on like normal where the light for the glow plugs then it stopped there was no power. Then it after a couple turns on the key it acted normally and got me home. This morning it acted up again and there was no power even to the headlights. It hopped into the jeep and went to work. I need to look at it when I get home today any suggestions thank you

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Headlights get power from the buss bar, not thru the ign. sw.
Check the main feed from the buss bar to the battery.
Turn on the headlights and wiggle the cables.
Check all the batt cables, especially the doubled up positive cable.

Reactions: bk95td and 56pan

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,936 Posts
This truck have a quirk when the batteries are low, it can go weird.

As with any electrical issue, LOAD (NOT voltage) test the batteries one at a time.
Check all the battery terminals, connectors, grounds.

Reactions: bk95td

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I was thinking about this all day at work I came home and cleaned the battery terminals. They were not really corroded but cleaned them anyway and it started up no problems. It seemed to crank faster too. I was noticing over the last 2 weeks was that it seemed to be cranking slower. I can tell the difference now for sure lol. I will see if this fixes it. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Where is the bussbar on these? Is that the thing under the cover on the cowl / firewall kinda top center?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Yup, 94 and older.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts