Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what years/models auto. trans. will fit this truck? Truck needs a new one and a used can't be found through the local auto wreckers. They're saying it must be the trans. specifically for the diesel truck, but I thought other trans. (ie. from gas trucks) would fit.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Your current transmission is a 4L60E (or at least it should be). You could make a gas version work but it would probably require some modification. The transmission will physically fit and work but may not be quite right. I think you are probably better off finding somebody to fix your current trans rather than finding a replacement used trans. That way you get one that is built specifically for your application... And you know it is right. You may be surprised... It probably isn't that much more expensive than a known good used transmission (in my area prices range from $100-$150 with no warranty and no known history to $400-$600+ for known good transmissions).

Many other GM transmissions will fit. With modification the TH400, TH350, 700R4, 4L80E, NV3500, NV4500, NP833 will all fit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Now with the electronic control transmissions, does it matter so much which version it is? I'm not well versed on just what the computer controls besides shifting, but if you don't have a ton of money to spend and can find a decent gas one, I can't see what it would hurt so long as you use a diesel converter, and if these use a govenor, swap that out too. Unless the diesel version is also beefed up for abuse?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought the electronically controlled hydra-matics did not come out until '94?

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
no 93, but why don't you get a 700R4, or 4L60...no E, and just swap to a non electronic? less issues especially if you go offroad....

·
Registered
256 Posts
You can only do that if you're emissions exempt, though, as it will generate a check engine light. Was it me I'd see how hard it would be to go to a 4L80E instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts