Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe, I need to have my transmission rebuilt or can I put an earlier model 4l80e Transmission in this 1992 Chevy? What years are interchangeable?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
4l80e was introduced in 1991. So you cant get much earlier than you have. All 4l80s are pretty much interchangeable. Older years have different parts like the Gear indicator switch and some different wires in the electrical harness. But you can swap wiring harness. switches, sensors, ect, from your old 4l80E to a newer one and make it work.
Why do you think your trans needs rebuilding?

·
Registered
187 Posts
In 94 the things changed.
If you put a 94 or later in a 93-92 you will have to use your old force motor. DO NOT use the one that is in the 94 and later. You will need to put the VB and separator plate from the 93 – 92 in the 94 or later.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information, I don't have OD and had hard shift between first and second. I replaced several mentions on this sight to repair the issue.

Replaced the following

• TPS
  • TCM
  • Rebuilt Transmission Valve Body w/new solenoids
  • Transmission Internal Wiring Harness
  • The servo above the Valve Body the falls out when you remove VB.

Hard shift is better, but still not perfect and still no OD.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
Thank you for the information, I don't have OD and had hard shift between first and second. I replaced several mentions on this sight to repair the issue.

Replaced the following

• TPS
  • TCM
  • Rebuilt Transmission Valve Body w/new solenoids
  • Transmission Internal Wiring Harness
  • The servo above the Valve Body the falls out when you remove VB.

Hard shift is better, but still not perfect and still no OD.
Here is a thread with info on the no OD condition from the 4l80 trans section of the forum: Info: - The most common problem facing the 4L80-E NO...

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
770 Posts
Very good info in that link that Dually posted above. I remember having the same problem you're having with my '93. It was a bad ignition switch. Contacts worn badly, green crud inside.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Have you checked for trouble codes?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Little old lady from Pasadena had it for a lot of years then.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very good info in that link that Dually posted above. I remember having the same problem you're having with my '93. It was a bad ignition switch. Contacts worn badly, green crud inside.
Any way to test the switch, or do I have to take the steering column apart to know if this is the problem?

I had the transmission rebuilt and reinstalled today and still have no 4th gear. The hard shifting from 1st to 2nd went away.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,652 Posts
It’s normal for the servo to fall out of place when the valve body is removed.Gravity is our enemy when it comes down to things like that.I just use some vasoline or transmission assembly lube and that’ll keep it up in place until you get the valve body back up.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The ign. sw. is not hard.to replace. Have to be careful with the operating rod that runs down inside the steering column to get it back in the right place.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
If you haven't connected a scan tool to watch what the ECM is seeing, you are only guessing at what the problem actually is. I had the same symptoms on a 92, It was the ECM that was failing after 5 miles. It was loosing the throttle position sensor input. That was causing the ECM to think it wasn't being driven. Loss of input RPM or output RPM can cause the same issues. Replacing the tranny may not fix the problem at all and maybe make new problems. You can put a turbo 400 trans in place of the 4L80E. Same dimensions[output shaft is same] but no overdrive and lock up[bad fuel economy and over-revving]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I changed the ignition switch, still same problem. No 4th gear. Going to buy another TPS an see if I have a faulty one. However, mm shows the 4.8v when adjusting the throttle wideopen. Stumped

1 - 20 of 33 Posts